PS3 "gamer card" menu option from Home

59528_hs.jpg

Further proof of Sony's version of the Xbox Gamertag?

Source: http://n4g.com/ps3/News-59528.aspx

gamercard490.jpg

A menu selection spotted during a demo of Unreal Tournament 3 seems to suggest that Sony is working on a player-identification system, perhaps similar to Xbox Live's Gamertag. After seeing the "Gamercard" option in a menu at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival, Games Digest was reportedly told by Epic's Mark Rein "Oops, you shouldn't have seen that."

What's more, a member of the Evil Avatar forums put forth an image from PlayStation Home that also has the "gamer card" option, this time with a space in the middle. We know very little at this point, but thought you all would appreciate a head-start on speculation. By the way, if the phrase "gamer card" seems familiar to you, you aren't imagining things.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/15/ps3-game...en-during-demo/

:shiftyninja:

Heh. I think if Epic says we weren't supposed to see this, Eric2929 is going to be in a bit of trouble... :laugh:

-Spenser

Never thought of that!

Bet he snapped the pic from a friends Home beta trial :rofl:

lol can someone pleaseeee tell me how exactly sony is NOT gunna get in trouble with M$ for calling it a gamercard? omg i love it! things are gunna heat up soon

lol can someone pleaseeee tell me how exactly sony is NOT gunna get in trouble with M$ for calling it a gamercard? omg i love it! things are gunna heat up soon

Because the term gamercard is not copyrighted?

I would also say, believe it or not, because there is a space between the two words...

Gamer Card is, ummm, different, from Gamercard.

No doubt it is an interesting line they are walking, but I do think just that little space may have them covered.

For all we know they are just using it as a placeholder in the Beta as well.

Only time will tell.

Also, not that I really know what i am doing, but I did check the US Government's Patent website, and Gamercard brings back no results.

(Just manually click on Search to the page I linked to.)

Same for the Copyright website as well.

Edited by DirtyLarry

Eric2929 will get in no trouble wat so ever its whoever clicked on Eric2929 that will get in trouble but u can never tell frm that pic who took it! But just to let u know that u can not click on the Gamercard menu it does not work atm!

Eric2929 will get in no trouble wat so ever its whoever clicked on Eric2929 that will get in trouble but u can never tell frm that pic who took it! But just to let u know that u can not click on the Gamercard menu it does not work atm!

Uh, usually it is the fault of the user if there tag is linked in a picture like this. I'm sure any NDA's cover this and he will get in trouble.

-Spenser

^ How so? It appears that somebody just clicked on a random person - who happened to be "Eric2929" in this case - and took a pic of it. I don't think you can stop somebody from clicking your avatar, and it's likely Eric2929 didn't even know it happened.

Back on topic: I'm glad to see Sony is implementing this even though they are, in fact, copying MS. Hopefully they'll make it easy to put them into our forum sigs.

and the winner for sincerest form of flattery is....

Eh, it's only an improvement for people who bought a expensive system- they should have nice things too :yes:

Next we'll see Playstation Home renamed Playstation Li ve before launch :p (with a space in there for protection)

Next we'll see Playstation Home renamed Playstation Li ve before launch :p (with a space in there for protection)

Home is actually my most prefered name out of the lot! (PSN, Live)

call me ignorant, but the screen shot looks like some kind of lobby with other people in it, is this somehow linked to your virtual apartment where you can decorate it anyway you like? also is this function gunna be free, cause call me UBER GEEKY, but id buy a PS3 for this little thing and little big planet! LOL!

call me ignorant, but the screen shot looks like some kind of lobby with other people in it, is this somehow linked to your virtual apartment where you can decorate it anyway you like? also is this function gunna be free, cause call me UBER GEEKY, but id buy a PS3 for this little thing and little big planet! LOL!

Yeah there are are separate areas (movie area, demo area, games area, lobby, then your apartment). I have no idea if there is an NDA for Home, so I won't say anymore. ;) I would assume Home is going to be free for anyone signed up for the Playstation Network.

Home is free.

All you need to pay for is premium home furniture/bigger personal home room.

You get basic home personal room and furniture for free... the rest are based on micro transactions!

Basically you don't need to spend a penny if you don't want to :yes:

I would also say, believe it or not, because there is a space between the two words...

Gamer Card is, ummm, different, from Gamercard.

No doubt it is an interesting line they are walking, but I do think just that little space may have them covered.

For all we know they are just using it as a placeholder in the Beta as well.

Only time will tell.

Also, not that I really know what i am doing, but I did check the US Government's Patent website, and Gamercard brings back no results.

(Just manually click on Search to the page I linked to.)

Same for the Copyright website as well.

Assuming Microsoft does decide to take legal action (I'm pretty sure they will) I highly doubt the space will be enough to cover them. The reasons behind this are many, amongst them are: The average consumer will not be able to discern the differences between "Gamer card" and "Gamercard". Both do theoretically the same thing, "show an online identification summary of a player".

There definitely is enough grounds for Microsoft to pursue something here, but Microsoft probably wouldn't do it right away. Wait a while, build a case, then go all out when it'll hurt the most. :devil: :laugh:

Yeah there are are separate areas (movie area, demo area, games area, lobby, then your apartment). I have no idea if there is an NDA for Home, so I won't say anymore. ;) I would assume Home is going to be free for anyone signed up for the Playstation Network.
Home is free.

All you need to pay for is premium home furniture/bigger personal home room.

You get basic home personal room and furniture for free... the rest are based on micro transactions!

Basically you don't need to spend a penny if you don't want to :yes:

omg! i was just at gametrailers checking out videos of home and ur apartment! very very cool stuff! :) I cant believe im getting soo excited over something so small- the ability to invite your friends over to your apt and share music and movies with them running on stereos and tvs is soo cool! and to customize ur apt any way you want! :) cant wait, there maybe be an NDA so i wont ask for specifics, buuttt can u tell us when its coming out? is there an approx date? your own predictions?

Well, there's been a lot of information released already about it. It's basically like playing Second Life or Sims with your Playstation buddies. It does look neat. The only negatives I see are getting from place to place might get tiresome (which I'm sure will be fixed) and the abuse factor, which Sony says they'll be monitoring closely. It's going to be a fine line, though, between freedom in the community and a police state.

omg! i was just at gametrailers checking out videos of home and ur apartment! very very cool stuff! :) I cant believe im getting soo excited over something so small- the ability to invite your friends over to your apt and share music and movies with them running on stereos and tvs is soo cool! and to customize ur apt any way you want! :) cant wait, there maybe be an NDA so i wont ask for specifics, buuttt can u tell us when its coming out? is there an approx date? your own predictions?

Release date is october.

There is suppose to be an open beta this month!

Assuming Microsoft does decide to take legal action (I'm pretty sure they will) I highly doubt the space will be enough to cover them. The reasons behind this are many, amongst them are: The average consumer will not be able to discern the differences between "Gamer card" and "Gamercard". Both do theoretically the same thing, "show an online identification summary of a player".

There definitely is enough grounds for Microsoft to pursue something here, but Microsoft probably wouldn't do it right away. Wait a while, build a case, then go all out when it'll hurt the most. :devil: :laugh:

You cannot sue someone else because they used the same word as you.

If that was the case, even Microsoft would end up paying another company money.

You cannot sue someone else because they used the same word as you.

If that was the case, even Microsoft would end up paying another company money.

Of course you can. It happens all the time. What are you talking about? Yes, Microsoft will end up paying another company money.

Of course you can. It happens all the time. What are you talking about? Yes, Microsoft has ended up paying another company money.

The word gamercard (in this case, name) is not copyrighted, so no, you can't.

The word gamercard (in this case, name) is not copyrighted, so no, you can't.

We don't know for sure it's not. Even just searching for Xbox on the USPTO site you don't get the real trademark document. I'm pretty sure something will come of this one way or another, but it will be some time, like I said.