[Network Problem] Losing internet connection

ok so I got a new router its a wired router with a 4 port switch. A linksys model (BEFSR41)

This is how my setup is right now.

Modem -> BEFSR41 Router -> PC 1 & Mac 1

Cat5e cables being used throughout. The router says it supports Cat5 is this possibly my issue must I use exclusively Cat5 without the e? I'm not sure.

Modem: Motorola Surfboard 4200

PC Motherboard: EVGA 680i (using its built in Ethernet ports)

Router: Linksys BEFSR41 v1.42 (Latest revision of hardware) using latest firmware (Released 9.11.2006)

Mac: MacBook Pro 17" also using its built in Gig ethernet to test the setup

This leaves me with a loss of internet, Live Messenger will not sign in webpages fail to load, some pages will load without images but only text. The Lan icon on the Windows machine stays active, it never shows "disconnected" or "reconnecting" etc it seems stable but obviously its not when some webpages will not load etc..

Now before I got this router I had a Netgear wired router, same specifications as the linksys now you might think "well that must have worked fine" well no it didn't it had the exact same problem as this router which is why I sent it back I thought perhaps it was just defective or a poor model. So when I got the linksys and it displays the same behaviour I obviously think there is something wrong with the rest of my configuration.

When I setup like this:

Modem -> PC -> Mac

(using ICS to serve Internet to the Macintosh through Windows)

Everything works fine, no problems, all websites load, stable connection everything works as advertised.

I am using Cable Internet in the United Kingdom my ISP uses DHCP to serve me access based on my MAC address which is registered to them when the Modem is rebooted. I use a MTU of 1500.

I am trying to include all relevant information if anyone has any ideas or needs more information please don't be afraid to state so I will be glad to get any advice on this as I am really racking my brain on this one.

Curious --- have you tried testing with only the PC or Mac connected to the router at 1 time.. Only connect one of the machines to the router -- try it.. If works or doesnt work fine -- then disconnect that machine an connect the other machine to the router.. How does that one work?

Do they both show the exact same issues -- when they are the only machine connected to the router?

When you have them both connected to the router at the same time -- they both have the exact same issues, some pages load, some don't? etc..

Can you access the routers web interface fine? Now sure how to do it on a mac, maybe ifconfig, netstat -s to give you stats on your connection.. On the PC it would be netstat -e an -s do you see errors, drops, retransmitts -- lots of unknown protocols?

When I connect only the PC to the router, the connection problems still happen. When I connect only the Mac I'm not 100% sure if the problems still happen. I tried it with only the Mac and it seemed to run somewhat fine however I didn't give it a long enough test as I was unable due to time constraints of having the Windows machine offline. (I know thats not much helpful, however during the Mac only test the Internet did stop for about 20 seconds and wouldn't respond I usually wouldn't mention it as I don't feel I did the testing for a long enough period but its something to go on I suppose.)

When they are both connected to the Router they both have the same issues. And yes I am able to access the admin configuration page through my Web Browser. I have set the router up to use its own MAC address, and then to clone my PC's Ethernet MAC Address both of these resulted in the same results.

On both the PC And Mac

0 Errors

0 Unknown Protocols

Thanks for your help BudMan.

Something else to note, I have a Wireless Router and when I use that and make my PC and Mac connect to that router using WiFi (802.11G specifically) there are zero problems. But since I am trying to build this wired network all the problems begin.

How do you have this wired an wireless network connected?? Or do you take befsr41 out of the picture, an only have a wifi router connected directly to your modem?

That surfboard has a usb connection - does it not.. When it works with your PC, was the PC connected to the modem using USB or ethernet?

Hmmm -- if it works fine with your wifi router connected directly connected to the modem?? It could be a problem with your modems ethernet interface not playing nice with your routers - but works with the wifi??

Please explain how your wifi router is connected when everything works fine?

ok.

when I had my wireless router connected it was like this. Modem -> Cat5e -> Wireless Router (Airport Express by Apple)

But I want my setup like this Modem -> Cat5e -> Wired Router (BEFSR41 by Linksys)

I have always used an Ethernet connection when using my PC with my Modem on its own as my internet connection is faster then the USB interface on the modem.

Is there any issue in using Cat5e cables throughout this networking setup or should I be using another cable? - Oh and just to note under all circumstances my internal network runs perfectly fine. I am able to move files between the Mac and the PC at full speed without drops.

Surboard SB4200 they fixed the issue in later revisions apparently. I cannot recall where I got the info as a friend found it for me but it was online in a forum and apparently its "well known" although I couldn't find it myself.

The thread mentioned if you set the router to only work on a 10MBps connection to the Modem it also worked fine. But I have a faster connection then that so naturally I went with the Switch inbetween option.