XP - system failure @ log on?

EDIT - UPDATE ON PAGE 2 :-)

Hi - turned on my pc this morning - it got as far as the boot screen .. then just before the Welcome Screen was due to pop up - ony of my hard drives just kinda "wound down" as if it had been switched off and then it rebooted!

Yet i can get into Windows 2000 without any problems ... tried scandisk - no errors found... anyone got some advice? similar experience :cry:

Hope you can help.

>> Boot Log Here << any clues?

Edited by riven_uk

nope - haven't touched welcome screen - haven't ****ed with any settings - was running Windows Classic VS! hehe

-- This has happend before - and a fresh install was cool and xp ran fine- but i don't wanna do that again - i.e. don't wanna keep doin it every 2 months or somethin

Someone told me that the loading order of drivers gets "optimized" by xp - is this true - and could this have screwed it up?

i had this problem a couple of times, for me it was related to activation :ninja: maybe it will work if you upgrade your XP with booting from the cd ;)

i'm confused.. "upgrade your XP with booting from the cd " :s how can you upgrade xp from the CD?? :blink: :huh:

I think he means to run the repair install. put in your xp cd and boot from it choose to install and then it will detect you already have a version of xp and offer 2 repair accept and it will reinstall all the system files.

your settings will stay the same and you wont loose info.

all I can think is either a problem with the hard drive (probably not though) or your installing some program/or doing something that is screwing with the system files.

Could it be overheating-related?

Check your cables to make sure they're fitted properly.

Check fans for dust.

Has it been happening often? And is it a real problem?

It's not hardware related as other OS's on the same disk will still boot,

and running repair from the XP CD will fix the problem.

Hi back again............

Repair worked without a hitch - however, the problem has occured again after just 5 days!

This is really starting to bug me.. can anyone suggest utilities that might aid me in my search for the cause of the problem?

Don't really want to have to repair every week :(

Again thanks 4 ur help

:( no - nothing its JUST before the welcome screen / logon panel appears - and the screen goes black in unison with the sounds of the hard drive - then it *restarts* with my secondary hard drive slowing down - as if it were a normal shutdown...

then there's the POST etc - so no blue screen / error message :( - in a sick way - i wish there was - could search for the answer so much easier :-/