[Fixed]No network

OK, so I only had time for a quick mess, but first thing I noticed was that I didn't have any network access at all. The only device listed in Network Tools was Loopback.

Dell Latitude D505.

Shift 0.5 RC1 Gnome

* Installation of the ipw2200 module for the Wifi card :

o Install ipw2200-source package

o If necessary, compile it and install the associate binary package (from kernel 2.6.12 (?) up, the driver is included in the stock kernel image, no need of the following steps, then) :

# module-assistant prepare

# module-assistant a-i ipw2200

Note : since the time when I?ve succeeded doing that, the module has been updated in testing, and now, I get problems with it (compiled with GCC 4 whereas kernel was compiled with GCC 3, but all that can be overcome).

o Install the firmware : follow instructions in /usr/share/doc/ipw2200-modules-2.6.11-1-686/README.firmware

o Install of wireless-tools

* Install powernowd to handle the Centrino/Pentium M processor speed control :

o Add to /etc/modules :

speedstep_centrino

cpufreq_userspace

o Install powernowd

* Setup the order of the ethX interfaces :

o Installation of ifrename

o Configuration of /etc/iftab and /etc/network/interfaces for ifrename. On my setup : eth0 is not used, eth1 for the wired ethernet adapter, eth2 for the wifi one

o blacklist eth1394 in hotplug for it not to use eth0

http://www-public.int-evry.fr/~berger_o/we...lllatituded505/

Thanks for the heads up, every little problem means a possible solution!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem on my computer. The network card is "Intel? 82562V 10/100 Platform LAN Connect" and its not found in RC1 or RC2.

Rather than every individual doing CrimsonRedMk's method I request that shift increases the number of network card drivers it has/changes to a newer kernel in later releases (hopefully soon =]) as not having internet access in this day and age is a massive drawback for any computer.

(please note that i don't use "Dell Latitude D505" and my network card IS an ethernet card, not wifi.)

I have a similar problem on my computer. The network card is "Intel? 82562V 10/100 Platform LAN Connect" and its not found in RC1 or RC2.

Rather than every individual doing CrimsonRedMk's method I request that shift increases the number of network card drivers it has/changes to a newer kernel in later releases (hopefully soon =]) as not having internet access in this day and age is a massive drawback for any computer.

(please note that i don't use "Dell Latitude D505" and my network card IS an ethernet card, not wifi.)

I appreciate the feedback. We will strive to add all of the drivers we can to support all sorts of ethernet or wi-fi cards. We know that half of computing fun is related to the internet.

• 10 months later...