Rumor: Sony's Play TV to cost

Rumor: Sony's Play TV to cost ?70 according to OPM, offers great value >

The latest UK edition of the Official Playstation Magazine has given readers an indication as to what the pricing will be for Sony's Play TV. They claim that it will go on sale for around ?70, which offers great value as you could easily 'sink ?60-100 each on a freeview reciever, PVR and and Sling Box.' PlayTV should be launching during the first quarter of next year.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=20278

I wouldn't mind paying that amou:yes:es:

couldn't this have been merged with the other Play Tv topic?

Anyways, seems a bit pricey imo. Was interested but not so much now. Hopefully it comes down to ?30/40 range

couldn't this have been merged with the other Play Tv topic?

Anyways, seems a bit pricey imo. Was interested but not so much now. Hopefully it comes down to ?30/40 range

Suppose... but a hint at the price is breaking news if you get what I mean.

I'm happy to pay that as it can record to the PS3.

Standalone freeview recorders are costly and have limited hard drive space.

The fact I can upgrade my hard drive space in the ps3 is a plus for recording from TV.

I won't however pay anything like ?90-100.

Suppose... but a hint at the price is breaking news if you get what I mean.

I'm happy to pay that as it can record to the PS3.

Standalone freeview recorders are costly and have limited hard drive space.

The fact I can upgrade my hard drive space in the ps3 is a plus for recording from TV.

I won't however pay anything like ?90-100.

Better to keep all the news/previews/rumours in one thread though. Easier to find stuff on the forums that way:)):yes::

For me it's going to be hard to stomach ?70 when I already have a dual tuner freeview box with 160GB hard drive. Unlikely I'll buy it, but it looks to be a good product. I wonder how many HD signals will be free to air though ::/:/

I aint a console fan, but surely that's a lot of money just so you can watch telly.

Get Sky+ then while thats recording ye late night viewing you can be playing ye foreman...er... ps3 :)

I aint a console fan, but surely that's a lot of money just so you can watch telly.

Get Sky+ then while thats recording ye late night viewing you can be playing ye foreman...er... ps3 :)

Sky+ costs way more than this :laugh:

This is a one off payment. For Sky you need the box, setup costs and then the monthly subscription - Which can mount up to quite a lot a month!

Fair points DrunknMunky :yes:

As it stands for me im just using freeview built into my TV. I don't have a fancy freeview box/hard drive space.

Lets not forget this allows you to turn your PSP into a portable TV as well!

I think that anyone who owns a PS3 and doesn't have a fancy box setup will find this a very attractive product :yes:

When it comes to Canada I will be buying it. I was going to get a Mac Mini and a TV tuner, easier just to get the TV tuner for PS3 and be done with it :D

Sky+ costs way more than this :laugh:

but not if you don't have a PS3 yet.

PS3 + Play TV = ?470

Sky+ = ?100 (sky have got rid of the ?10 a month fee for it, and if you nag enough, you can get sky+ even if you only have the free channels).

If you have a PS3, then its a decent deal, but when you can get freeview PVR's (with twin tuners and 160GB of space) for ?150. the ?470 (combined price of PS3 and playTV) seems a bit too much if you don't have a PS3 yet.

@ DrunknMunky, if the UK government gets its way, then very few HD channels will be available for free (as there is not enough bandwidth on current freeview to do it, and the available space that will be freed up when analogue stations are turned off will be sold off if the UK government gets its way)

but not if you don't have a PS3 yet.

PS3 + Play TV = ?470

Sky+ = ?100 (sky have got rid of the ?10 a month fee for it, and if you nag enough, you can get sky+ even if you only have the free channels).

If you have a PS3, then its a decent deal, but when you can get freeview PVR's (with twin tuners and 160GB of space) for ?150. the ?470 (combined price of PS3 and playTV) seems a bit too much if you don't have a PS3 yet.

@ DrunknMunky, if the UK government gets its way, then very few HD channels will be available for free (as there is not enough bandwidth on current freeview to do it, and the available space that will be freed up when analogue stations are turned off will be sold off if the UK government gets its way)

Drawbacks are if you buy Sky+ you obv won't be able to play PS3 games etc. If you buy PlayTV though, you miss out on satellite channels etc

Yeah that's why I questioned them touting HD signals etc when nothing is set in stone yPS: I say "etc" way too muchh:laugh:augh:

how will this work anyway, will it get the signal throu my internet...?

as where i live the tv signnal is gash, and i struggle to pick up freeview

You have to buy the external PlayTV (?70) dual tuner which connects to your roof aerial and PS3.

Does anyone know how many digital tuners this PlayTV add-on has? It will be a bit pointless if it has only one IMHO.

[EDIT] I have just watched the video link in the other thread and apparently it has two digital tuners. :D

Edited by kraized

this IS a freeview tuner. So if you struggle to pick up freeview, then this probably won't be much uses to you.

Yeah that's why I questioned them touting HD signals etc when nothing is set in stone yet.

yeah that bugged me as well, considering there is nothing set in stone yet regarding freeview and HDTV. I'm guessing they mean that it could decode MPEG4 Broadcasts which is one of the potential ways that HDTV might be delivered via freeview.

the available space that will be freed up when analogue stations are turned off will be sold off if the UK government gets its way

That bugs me no end. The company that is supposed to serve the public interest(ofcom) thinks it would be better served by flogging off the bandwidth to the highest bidder, which will probably be the mobile phone companies who will just sit on it like they have with 3G. The result will be that the rest of the world watches the 2012 Olympics in HD whist we'll all be sitting here watching it in ultra lowbitrate mpeg2 broadcasts.

You might get it when analogue TV is switched off in your area as the power dedicated to freeview will be massively increased. However I don't think thats until late 2011 for Scotland but you'd have to check.

the only issue i have with the playtv is that after 15-20 mins my ps3's fans scale up to a clearly audible level regardless of what its been doing...

this is ok when playing a game, but for tv would be very annoying. sony need to come up with a lower power mode or something, as i cant believe tv decoding will require as much power as f@h for instance...