Lost OEM CD, still have key. What are my options?

I'm reformatting a computer, and have lost the OEM CD for it. They key is still obviously on the tower, so that's no problem. My real concern is how I'm going to get XP back on this machine. The way I figure it is I have a few options:

Call and beg, either the OEM or Microsoft. Any advice there, such as charges they will impose, etc?

Pirate. I don't feel opposed to this one, since I have a legit copy..but will my OEM key work on a non-OEM version, or any other OEM's disks? I would rather not download a copy, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather not resort to option 3:

Buy a new copy. No thanks

You can't use another copy of XP.. like retail. You will have to find a OEM CD because the retail version doesn't accept the OEM key. What is your brand of computer?

Can't tell you, there is no markings on the box. It's the parents file server, and of course they can't remember. It's an older machine. That's why I wanted to know about OEM vs. Retail, because tracking down and contacting the manufacturer will be pretty difficult.

I would find a small computer shop (the ones that have lots of secondhand systems in the window) and ask them nicely for an XP OEM CD I bet they have loads.

Can't tell you, there is no markings on the box. It's the parents file server, and of course they can't remember. It's an older machine. That's why I wanted to know about OEM vs. Retail, because tracking down and contacting the manufacturer will be pretty difficult.

you can't activate a retail copy of XP using an OEM disc

I would find a small computer shop (the ones that have lots of secondhand systems in the window) and ask them nicely for an XP OEM CD I bet they have loads.

there is also torrents...

I'm reformatting a computer, and have lost the OEM CD for it. They key is still obviously on the tower, so that's no problem. My real concern is how I'm going to get XP back on this machine. The way I figure it is I have a few options:

Call and beg, either the OEM or Microsoft. Any advice there, such as charges they will impose, etc?

Pirate. I don't feel opposed to this one, since I have a legit copy..but will my OEM key work on a non-OEM version, or any other OEM's disks? I would rather not download a copy, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather not resort to option 3:

Buy a new copy. No thanks

You can take a retail CD image and modify one of the .inf or .ini files to change it into an OEM cd (though I don't remember which files- try google?). Otherwise, go to a torrent and download a copy of the OEM CD. You're allowed to, under the EULA.

You can take a retail CD image and modify one of the .inf or .ini files to change it into an OEM cd (though I don't remember which files- try google?). Otherwise, go to a torrent and download a copy of the OEM CD. You're allowed to, under the EULA.

No, considering torrent seeders don't have a license to distribute CDs

You can't "legally" download any copy of Windows unless you're downloading it from Microsoft. If you decide to download one anyway, make sure you're running PeerGuardian. While you're at it, pray the copy you download hasn't been modified.

If you know someone who owns a Dell with XP on it, borrow their Windows disk. They'll install on any computer. When you go to activate it online, it won't. That's when you call a service rep, and change the CD key inside Windows. It's a hassle, but it will work.

You can't "legally" download any copy of Windows unless you're downloading it from Microsoft. If you decide to download one anyway, make sure you're running PeerGuardian. While you're at it, pray the copy you download hasn't been modified.

If you know someone who owns a Dell with XP on it, borrow their Windows disk. They'll install on any computer. When you go to activate it online, it won't. That's when you call a service rep, and change the CD key inside Windows. It's a hassle, but it will work.

Actually, you simply enter the *correct* license key when prompted. I had this precise situation less than 24 hours ago (customer required a complete reinstall of OEM version of XP Home Edition, but the only copy of the CD available is from a different OEM). The PCIQ was from e-Machines; however, the OEM CD was from Compaq (AKA HP). Only the larger *royalty* OEMs lock their CDs from other OEMs (and DELL is the likliest of suspects). This situation happens when the only CD that ships with the computer is a *recovery CD*, and why I got into building my own PCs in the first place. OEM CDs of Windows XP work with keys from other OEMs that match the same version (Home matches Home, MCE matches MCE).

• 2 weeks later...

Downloading a copy is very risky. Has it been modified? Is some random file on it corrupt?

Best to have someone local make a copy of an OEM CD.

Having a legitimate COA sticker, with a key that no one else is using, is all that matters.

OEM cd's are abundant and a half. Do you have a friend with a Dell re-install cd? Every computer will come with their Home or Pro OEM cd. *MOST* Dell resource cd's will have a data file for the cd-key and can be used on other computers. There are cd-key changers out there, 1 of which is provided BY microsoft thus... not bad. So just copy an OEM cd and keep using your key with this cd-key changer.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/...structions.aspx

anyway, go through microsofts site, links have been posted. DO NOT use torrents as they may have been modified. if all else fails, use linux.

You can Download a XP CD.

Completely formate your PC Partition Etc.

The Key on the Side of your PC will work with a normal disc.

[This is perfectly legal i've checked before as he has he own key, Activation etc works as normal]

Download links have been posted? Where?

All I see are tutorials on what to do AFTER you have a OEM CD, and Microsoft password changing utility.

If you can obtain an original OEM CD or an official download without buying a new copy of XP, thats new to me.

All my CD are based on Dell CDs I copied, except for a couple original MCE 2005's from custom builds.

PS I think MSDN subscribers can download .iso's but thats a lot more expensive then just buying a unnecessary new copy of XP.

Only safe practical solution is to find someone with a CD and copy it, unless you happen to need an extra XP license.

BTW a .sfv of the contents of an unmodified plain OEM install CD would be handy for verification.

If I had originals for Home & Pro OEM I would make the appropriate .sfv for you, maybe someone else will be kind enough?

Edited by Codesmith