iPod nano review

I can't tell for sure but the new iPod nano screen looks weird to me. There are gaps on the left and right side. It just doesn't look right. How do you guys who own iPod nano think about this? Are you guys ok with this?

nanoay3.jpg

I can't tell for sure but the new iPod nano screen looks weird to me. There are gaps on the left and right side. It just doesn't look right. How do you guys who own iPod nano think about this? Are you guys ok with this?

nanoay3.jpg

I wouldn't have noticed that.

nanoay3.jpg

Didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I really don't care, it's just a black border around the screen.

I was going to buy the new Nano when I want to buy my new iPOD, but I decided to go for the classic, the price difference is worth it as 80GB Classic could hold much more than 8GB Nano, beside I already got my 4GB 2nd Generation iPOD Nano :D

just a heads up for those buying nano, there's been a batch or something come through with screen issues similar to the touch also it's not level with the player etc. if you come across one of these when you purchase it apparently apple are fixing them.

just a heads up for those buying nano, there's been a batch or something come through with screen issues similar to the touch also it's not level with the player etc. if you come across one of these when you purchase it apparently apple are fixing them.

I was just reading about the screen problems with the touch, this is the first I'm hearing about problems with the nano, do you have any links?

I would love to purchase an iPod touch, I was ready to pre-order one just last week. The thing that stopped me though is my Rhapsody subscription. I pay 14 bucks a month for unlimited songs, and unfortunetly for me I cant transfer those songs to an iPod. The day they make that possible, I will get my hands on an iPod once again. Or atleast have iTunes with the same rate plan. Id simply switch over. :yes:

Im getting the 4gig nano tomorrow. 4 gig is all i require to be honest and i get bored of songs quick, so will take songs out and put songs in often.

Is it worth it? I hope so. This is my first real MP3 player and im looking forward to it :)

Im getting the 4gig nano tomorrow. 4 gig is all i require to be honest and i get bored of songs quick, so will take songs out and put songs in often.

Is it worth it? I hope so. This is my first real MP3 player and im looking forward to it :)

The 4 GB model is not worth it. You get double the storage for only $50 more. I don't see why you wouldn't want to go for that.

^ got the 4 gig and cant fill it up! I have hundreds of songs and the 4 gig is still only half full. The 8 gig was about ?20 more but then the insurance was about ?30 more also...

And now, it's time for...Bugs in the code? What? Say it isn't so!b>

Here are two small bugs I've found with the current nano firmware...

• If you add the "sleep" shortcut to the main menu and use that to turn off the player, it works fine. But turn the player back on, and it will immediately go to sleep. The only way around this is to quickly move the click wheel up the menu so it gets off the "sleep" shortcut.
  • I've found another glitch when it comes to playlist playback. As I've stated earlier, you can set up playlist folders. If you decide to play an entire folder, it appears to play back everything within that folder all at once, in shuffle mode, even if shuffle mode is turned off. I'm quite sure this shouldn't be happening. Another glitch involves individual playback. If I want to play all the songs in the playlist by merely pressing the play/pause button on the playlist name, it skips the first track, every single time. There is no way around this. The only way you can get the first track to play in a sequential (non-shuffle) order is to double-tap the rewind button to move backwards in the tracking list.

Hopefully both of these relatively annoying bugs will be fixed with the upcoming firmware update.

Found that if you put sleep on the main menu and use it, try not to press the middle button to wake it up as this wil in theory press the sleep button again. Pres he side buttons, like left or right and it wakes up no problem.

I dont know if they fixed the oter bug or what, but there was an update as soon as i connected my iPod though itunes and i cant make this error occure...

I just can't get over how ugly the actual unit itself looks. bah, I won't buy one for this reason alone.

Ugly? I take it you never even touched or seen the new nano in person. just going by month old articles that talked about it being ugly.

But have you actually seen one up close? Have you actually used it? It looks far better than most pictures would leaad you to believe. Kind of a shame you won't use it just because of its look, but then again, use what you like.

I know, its sad people dont even give a product a chance or even test it out. They just go by month old articles or listen to others because they are tring to fit in because they have no life.... :no:

I agree with you on this one. I though the nano was an ugly looking thing, until I went to an Apple store a couple hours ago, and actually played with one. This thing is pretty sexy. Its a lot smaller that I though, and it's extremely thin. (Y)

Right, I saw it IN PERSON for the first time on sunday at a local owned mac store. and man, it was so thin and light it was amazing.

The nano is very nice, looks good and has a good quality screen, however I do find it irritating that the navigation "wheel" sticks out from the casing, not much, just enough to feel the rough edge (probably prone to gathering some dust as well :hmmm: ).

The nano is very nice, looks good and has a good quality screen, however I do find it irritating that the navigation "wheel" sticks out from the casing, not much, just enough to feel the rough edge (probably prone to gathering some dust as well :hmmm: ).

Really? Mine is almost on a groove going to the inside of the device rather than the outside.

Definitely sticks out quite a bit -> 1443037650_8e951a3ce2_m.jpg

I was thinking the edge was there to provide a means of operating the control inside the pocket, making it easier to locate. I'll show it to the apple store where I purchased it and ask whether this is a feature or maybe a production glitch.

Definitely sticks out quite a bit -> 1443037650_8e951a3ce2_m.jpg

I was thinking the edge was there to provide a means of operating the control inside the pocket, making it easier to locate. I'll show it to the apple store where I purchased it and ask whether this is a feature or maybe a production glitch.

Mine deffinatly does not stick out at all. It is very inline with the rest of the device, however the middle button is grooved.

If the click wheel is slightly recessed or exposed, it's just normal manufacturing tolerance. Obviously, not every single unit is going to be perfect, there will always be some very minute imperfection.

Time for a quick update...

As you may be know, updated firmware for the iPod nano (3G) has been released. Ordinarily this is no big deal, but 1.0.1 is unique in that it fixes one of my previous annoyances and adds one highly requested feature. You may recall earlier I was complaining that with the 1.0 firmware, it made adding the "Sleep" shortcut to the main menu very finicky, as you could instantly put the nano back to sleep if you turned on the nano with the center button. 1.0.1 fixes this behavior, and there is no longer any issue with the sleep shortcut. But this firmware finally, after so many years, brings the "shuffle songs" feature to wherever you are in the nano. Before, you had to browse all the way back to the main menu to turn it on and off. But now, no matter where you are in your iPod (well, you have to be listening to music, obviously), you simply toggle through all the song options (scrubbing, artwork, lyrics, etc.) until it appears. You can either shuffle through just the current playlist/album or through all your songs.

post-119000-1191294927_thumb.jpg

(Sorry for the absolutely awful picture, but hopefully you can see what I mean. It's just a simple three-way switch, akin to what you might see on the iPhone.)