[nhl] Ducks suspend Scott Niedermayer

ANAHEIM, Calif. (CP) - The Anaheim Ducks officially suspended Scott Niedermayer on Tuesday, a formality that was expected on the first day of camp with the star defenceman a no-show.

"Yes, he was suspended today," Ducks GM Brian Burke said during an NHL media conference call. "I spoke with Scott to tell him he was being suspended, which Scotty expected."

The move means Niedermayer's US$6.75-million won't count against Anaheim's salary cap while he continues to mull over his playing future. The Ducks stand at around $49 million under the $50.3-million salary cap - counting Niedermayer's salary.

Niedermayer, who turned 34 on Aug. 31, has yet to decide whether or not he will retire. Nor has 37-year-old winger Teemu Selanne, an unrestricted free agent who led the Ducks with 48 goals last season.

"I met with Teemu this morning," said Burke. "But no change. No direction from either player as to what their plans are."

Niedermayer won the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP last spring while earning his fourth Stanley Cup ring. Niedermayer, New Jersey's first choice and third overall in the 1991 entry draft, has racked up 608 points (140 goals, 468 assists) in 1,053 career regular-season games - including a career-high 69 points (15-54) in 79 games last season.

Source

Tbh, i think it's a little unfair of Niedermayer and Selanne to wait for so long before giving an answer. They should have let the organization know their intentions a while ago so they can move on and do what they have to do.

Source

Tbh, i think it's a little unfair of Niedermayer and Selanne to wait for so long before giving an answer. They should have let the organization know their intentions a while ago so they can move on and do what they have to do.

FYI: They did.

I don't know where you can read about it, but it was all over ESPN when they were contemplating not coming back, and they both let the Ducks know.

Niedermayer and Selanne are contemplating retirement. Neither have made a firm decision as of yet. There has been some hearsay, especially about Niedermayer whether or not he'll retire, return, or come back half way through the season. Selanne is a huge question mark as to when he'll return, but at least he's not under contract for another 2-3 seasons.

Although I'm sure neither is doing this intentionally to hurt the team, it isn't fair to the GM, the players and the fans.

It is lame, but at least is being honest. On ESPN they reported that Niedermayer said he truly did not know if he wanted to return or just retire.

I think the management are being very understanding, but they should impose some sort of deadline for a decision, as much as they say it is not affecting the team it must have some psychological effect.

Niedermayer and Selanne are contemplating retirement. Neither have made a firm decision as of yet. There has been some hearsay, especially about Niedermayer whether or not he'll retire, return, or come back half way through the season. Selanne is a huge question mark as to when he'll return, but at least he's not under contract for another 2-3 seasons.

Although I'm sure neither is doing this intentionally to hurt the team, it isn't fair to the GM, the players and the fans.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. What we were discussing was when they let the Ducks know they were contemplating. He said:

"Tbh, i think it's a little unfair of Niedermayer and Selanne to wait for so long before giving an answer. They should have let the organization know their intentions a while ago so they can move on and do what they have to do."

They let the organization know since the beginning that they were contemplating retirement.

I don't see how they should have done anything, since they don't even count against the salary cap at the moment (well, at least Niedermayer, not sure about Selanne). It's not like they can't make a change.

Selanne doesn't count against the cap, but Niedermayer does because he still has 2 years left on his contract. Selanne is technically a UFA. But should Neidermayer decide to return, that puts them up right against the cap as Burke went out and got Schneider to replace Niedermayer not knowing whether or not he'll return.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. What we were discussing was when they let the Ducks know they were contemplating. He said:

"Tbh, i think it's a little unfair of Niedermayer and Selanne to wait for so long before giving an answer. They should have let the organization know their intentions a while ago so they can move on and do what they have to do."

They let the organization know since the beginning that they were contemplating retirement.

I don't see how they should have done anything, since they don't even count against the salary cap at the moment (well, at least Niedermayer, not sure about Selanne). It's not like they can't make a change.

Ah, so thats where the misunderstanding lies. What i meant was that i think it's unfair that they havn't given the ducks a firm "yes, were gonna play next year" or "no were not gonna play next year", sorry for the misunderstanding.