WWE Talking With MMA Promotion To Compete With UFC

MMAScoops.com is reporting that World Wrestling Entertainment may soon be stepping into the world of Mixed Martial Arts. At a stockholder's meeting in May, Vince McMahon said WWE had previously explored the idea of a WWE-branded MMA product. Vince said the recent explosion in popularity of the sport is undeniable and that MMA is a natural expansion for them.

Billionare Marc Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, has come out and revealed that he's been talking with WWE executives about creating a mixed martial arts organization to compete with UFC.

Here's what Marc Cuban had to say:

"We've been in discussions with the WWE, Vince and Linda McMahon and Shane about doing some cross promotions under the HDNet Fights banner. Since they do a great job of putting together events, within some of the restraints that I talked about, the no ring girls and obviously the events have to be straight up, there’s no scripted anything, but they want to get into that side of the business. They realize that if they just brand it as WWE, that people aren’t going to believe that it’s not scripted, but if they work with Mark Cuban and HDNet Fights and the Dallas Mavericks approach, then people will trust it.”

Shane McMahon is said to be a huge mixed martial arts fan and has pushed for WWE to consider starting a legit MMA brand.

This will probably sink like just about every other wwe branded side product.

People off the street will not take it seriously because they will assume it's "fake" just like wrestling.

IMO they should concentrate on making their wrestling product better.

This will probably sink like just about every other wwe branded side product.

People off the street will not take it seriously because they will assume it's "fake" just like wrestling.

IMO they should concentrate on making their wrestling product better.

Who remembers the XFL :laugh:

I really hope they don't attempt this, because I don't want anyone unfamiliar with MMA to think that Pride or UFC had anything to do with a bunch of WWE clowns. I've already had people ask if MMA is 'fake like wrestling', having never watched it before.

I would love to see the WWE hacks be shown for what they are, trying to fight in MMA.

That's nice that you think so; but in reality, their work is a lot harder than any real mixed-martial artists'.

Anyways, anything that Vince McMahon touches becomes a tv drama, he should try Rollerball.

That's nice that you think so; but in reality, their work is a lot harder than any real mixed-martial artists'.

Anyways, anything that Vince McMahon touches becomes a tv drama, he should try Rollerball.

are you fcking insane?

how does ANY wwe fighter work harder than ANYONE in the ufc. Last i checked alot of wrestlers aren't even in great shape, the ones that are take steroids, and they have no real talent other than being able to "fake" things? It must be real difficult traning to fake stuff huh?

are you fcking insane?

how does ANY wwe fighter work harder than ANYONE in the ufc. Last i checked alot of wrestlers aren't even in great shape, the ones that are take steroids, and they have no real talent other than being able to "fake" things? It must be real difficult traning to fake stuff huh?

The fact that wwe performers go on the road all year round and 6 out of 7 days a week they wrestle houseshows but ufc fighters only train for a fight maybe every 2 months.

Hey guys, don't get your panties in a mix, i author my own opinions just as you do, no need to get vulgar.

Steroids? Read about Sean Sherk? think this is isolated?

Neither of these sports are easy if that's what you thought I said about MMA. I actually watch MMA 10:1 of WWE. But what gives for bashing the WWE so much other than the lack of respect.

If you think acting and "play-fighting" simultaneously are lesser than kicking ass for real, then maybe you should try it. You would stutter, forget your lines, miss you cue, trip on the walkway, hit yourself with a chair, get seriously injured or seriously injure a co-worker. The only reason these guys survive these things is because they're carefully planned. And we've seen times where the slighted mishap makes a tragedy.

I know this was a bad idea to begin with, WWE and MMA don't Mix; FOR MMA fans that is.

I think Mark Cuban just wants in on Vince's enterprise. Perhaps this is just [money] speculation for Vince.

are you fcking insane?

They may not work harder (although as has been said, some/most of the top names are on the road working 300+ days a year) but some of them are a lot tougher. For instance how many mma fighters would finish their match after tearing a muscle like triple h did when he tore his quad a few years ago? How many would continue after having their ear ripped off like Mick Foley did? How many would go into their match with a broken foot like the undertaker did against Mick Foley in their hell in a cell match, the same match IIRC that Mick Foley had a few of his teeth knocked through his upper lip/nose?

I could go on but I think I have made my point, it bugs me when people think that just because wrestling is "fake" that the people taking part are not athletic or talented!

guys WWE is not fake. it's STAGED, yes, but not fake. those are real chairs, tables and bowling balls

you try to jump off a 20ft cage and double kick a guy in the face and not kill him. on second thought, DON'T since you would fail

that being said, the WWE guys would get whooped hardcore vs UFC guys no question

Wait, will they put in WWE stars, or bring in outside, seperate talent to fight in this extension show?

They would most probably bring people in from outside...I can't see Carlito in a cage.