UFC Signs PRIDE Veteran Ryo Chon

PRIDE Fighting Championships and DEEP veteran Ryo Chonan (14-7 MMA, 0-0 UFC) ? one of the few fighters to have beaten current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva ? has signed a contract with the UFC.

The news comes from Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer, though terms of the deal weren?t immediately known.

Aside from Silva, Chonan ? a six-year MMA veteran ? has defeated a handful of other notable fighters, including Carlos Newton, Antonio Schembri and Joey Villasenor. One complaint, though, has been his inability to finish fights; eight of his 14 career victories have come via decision.

At PRIDE Shockwave 2004, Chonan scored a rare flying-scissor-lock takedown and heel-hook submission to defeat Silva. Adding the Japanese fighter to the UFC?s thin middleweight division could set up a fairly quick rematch with Silva should the current champ dispose of Rich Franklin in their UFC 77 main event next month.

According to an MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) source close to November?s UFC 78 event, Chonan has been discussed as a possible addition to the Nov. 17 fight card, though at the time, Chonan hadn?t yet been signed to a contract.

Sorry for the thread jack but...

Anybody catch the Elite XC fight card? I made some cash on Gina, not a lot mind you...

the odds were terrible but I knew she'd win... plus she's just to hot not to bet on :)

48934.jpg

I think the UFC need to worry about bringing in more Lightweight fighters from PRIDE seeing as they face a possibility of stripping their current champ. Still though, it will be interesting to see if Chon can fight of the "PRIDE to UFC Conversion Curse!" :p

Sorry for the thread jack but...

Anybody catch the Elite XC fight card? I made some cash on Gina, not a lot mind you...

the odds were terrible but I knew she'd win... plus she's just to hot not to bet on :)

48934.jpg

I got to see the it. Could have seen it live since it was held down the street from me. Something about free on SHO plus better seats at home made me miss it. There was some good fights.