iPod Classic 80GB

out of interest does anyone know of any real world battery tests for these iPods. I read apple claims 30hrs for the 80gig and 40 for the 160 but I'd love to see what people actually get. Ideally this would be music encoded in higher bitrate mp3 files or something relatively close in terms of filesize.

I'm very tempted to get one rather than send my X5 overseas and pay for a repair to get the battery replaced.

iPod classic

Reviews for the latest revision in the standard iPod line, now "iPod classic", were mixed. Perhaps the most critical review was that of Playlist, which noted a "sluggish interface" and "unresponsive controls" when album artwork was synched. All 3 reviews noted that previous 5th generation iPod games are incompatible with the iPod classic as are some iPod accessories, namely video-out accessories. While Apple has chosen to provide higher-resolution component video out, it has rendered previous video output accessories useless with this iPod.

This is not to say that all is dim with the classic. iLounge notes that the games offered for the classic are of better quality, and the increased storage sizes are industry-leading. Also, Apple is once again conservative on its battery life numbers (Playlist got 11 more hours of audio playback than Apple had promised).

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/09/ipodclassic/index.php

Ya I was also disappointed with the capacity on the Touch. As a current 30G 5th Gen user, I can't downgrade to 16GB, and there is not enough of a difference between the classic and the 5th gen to warrant me spending money on it.

I managed to sell my 30GB iPod 5g for ?175 and I'm getting an 80GB iPod classic for ?1:laugh:ugh:

You could replace the battery yourself Smigit, no need to send it away. Unless you are worried about voiding your warranty or something.

Check this out > LINK

Yeah seen that. Warrenty isn't an issue (heck I'm using rockbox and its out of warrenty now anyway) nor is the DIY nature of it. I'm unsure but seeing as last time I looked there noone had done that for the X5L model at the tme which has the 2 batteries. Suppose I could take a closer look and see what the deal is in that scenario.

That said I'm using 25 of the 30gigs so I'll be half tempted to get a new one anyway.

i more or less have the same problem as sax... i mean... 80gb, dont need it, overkill, yea, but then again, nano - too less, touch - hell cool but too less... so the classic is the only possibility.

or just keep my a little scratched ipod 5g 30gb which still is in more or less perfect condition and served me well for over one year. :)

dont know.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but .saxondale mentioned that the click wheel feels rather unresponsive compared to the one of the iPod 5g. Are you experiencing the same thing?

No. The click-wheel on my 80GB Classic is exactly the same, if not better, than the 5G. It's perfect! So maybe saxondale. has a faulty model??

I'm currently looking for a slimline case for the Classic, anyone found a good one? Not a bulky one.

I use the iPod socks! It isn't a case per say but it covers it perfectly and when you're sliding it out, it actually cleans the iPod each time :p lol - very handy and work just as well as a case. They aren't bulky either.

Nope. So far I haven't seen te option to buy one separate. :/

No you can't, but if you buy some iPod socks (pretty cheap) they are much better (see comment earlier in this post) and you get more iPod socks rather than just one case like that.

Just received mine. (Y)

iPod Classic Update fixes problems mentioned... (CLICKY)

;)

i knew it was gonna come...

hooray, maybe i'll order my iPod along with a belkin dock tomorrow (very likely)... I'm so excited :)

can't wait to get to know how well the invisibleSHIELDs work with the new matt metal front... PLEASE WORK WELL :)

i'd love to have one of those... especially since they dont waste your iPod's look and it reportedly gives you kind of the best scratch protection (in real life) :D

Glassed Silver:mac

Already updated

Doesn't fix it much. I don't think mine is faulty since there have been widespread reports.

edit: i also have a dead green pixel in the bottom right corner.

Edited by saxondale.

Hey :)

Its intresting that the iPod Classic has such a nice GUI and a size but what about audio quality? iRiver, Creative and other companies have always beaten Apple in quality/loudness/perfection. Im wondering if Apple has improved anything around here.

Yea i found that the at least with the standard earphones apple supply the sound quality isn't as good as it could be, but it has improved since i had the iPod Mini 1st Gen :p

Hey :)

Its intresting that the iPod Classic has such a nice GUI and a size but what about audio quality? iRiver, Creative and other companies have always beaten Apple in quality/loudness/perfection. Im wondering if Apple has improved anything around here.

They've improved, but personally, still behind in this area.

Actually reports are it's quite the opposite.