Error with router

So heres the scoop. I have a Linksys wrt54g, im not using the wireless capabilities. Ive had the router for about a year now, it hasn't been a great piece of machinery i must say, but gets the job done.

The last couple of days i and my other computer on the network have been getting disconnected from the internet every 30 minutes or so. There is no notification of this drop in the icon menu in the task bar, but all internet access is lost. Whenever this happens i have to get up and go and unplug and re power up the router and all the computers connections are back up and running fine... for about another half an hour.

So my question is, is there something wrong with my router or the network? If so is there a fix, or should i just go buy a new router?

Thanks in advance!

What version are you using? Do you have wireless on? If so, you should turn it off if you're not going to use it. Linksys routers come with shi**y firmware (the operating system inside of the router) so that also may be an issue. Do you use Bittorrent?

I dont know what firmware version im running. I have wireless off and i do use bittorrent, but haven't had it on in a week and this has just occurred recently. Not to mention i used bittorrent with this router with no issues previously.

So heres the scoop. I have a Linksys wrt54g, im not using the wireless capabilities. Ive had the router for about a year now, it hasn't been a great piece of machinery i must say, but gets the job done.

The last couple of days i and my other computer on the network have been getting disconnected from the internet every 30 minutes or so. There is no notification of this drop in the icon menu in the task bar, but all internet access is lost. Whenever this happens i have to get up and go and unplug and re power up the router and all the computers connections are back up and running fine... for about another half an hour.

So my question is, is there something wrong with my router or the network? If so is there a fix, or should i just go buy a new router?

Thanks in advance!

if your link light on the PC does not go out then you still have a link to your router (i assume your router is a switch also and both your machines plug into it). the connection is failing between your router and the net. i woudl guess your router is indeed stuffed, firmware and all that won't fix it i doubt as you say it has been running fine and firmware doesn't just break and things don't just stop workgin because of firmware, it woudl have been dodgy from the start if it was a firmware thing, and i have never heard of bittorent or any other app to cause your internet to disconect, it's virtually impossible.

if your link light on the PC does not go out then you still have a link to your router (i assume your router is a switch also and both your machines plug into it). the connection is failing between your router and the net. i woudl guess your router is indeed stuffed, firmware and all that won't fix it i doubt as you say it has been running fine and firmware doesn't just break and things don't just stop workgin because of firmware, it woudl have been dodgy from the start if it was a firmware thing, and i have never heard of bittorent or any other app to cause your internet to disconect, it's virtually impossible.

Please don't say something if you don't know what your talking, that is what gets people into trouble.

First off Firmware can just break, if your ISP changes something suddenly that your firmware can't handle then a firmware upgrade would be in order. I can't begin to count the number of times I have seen a firmware upgrade fix a problem that just popped up out of the blue.

Secondly it is not virtually impossible for a piece of software to cause a disconnect, in fact it is highly possible, many ISP's now are capping internet connections so one user doesn't hog the all bandwidth.

You should make sure you don't have any torrent or p2p software on your network, and update to the latest firmware before buying something new, there is a good chance it will fix the problem.

I dont know what firmware version im running. I have wireless off and i do use bittorrent, but haven't had it on in a week and this has just occurred recently. Not to mention i used bittorrent with this router with no issues previously.

I mean what version of your router. It'll say on the bottom of it on a sticker. And when was the last time you upgraded your firmware :p