Everytimes I open the Documents folder I see the green bar scanning..

Everytimes I open the Documents folder, I see the green bar scanning on address bar. Why?

This happens since I installed the performance and stability patches.

I haven't video files in that folder.

Edited by UAC

That also happened to me before the performance update and as for indexing I just was letting it do what it wanted there. I thought it was simply updating the directory listing but sometimes it would take a very long time.

Did the hard drive go to sleep?

yes, the indexing is finished.

If I have this strange problem, it should be a bug in Windows Search because I never touched the Windows Search's options.

Anyway, now I try to delete the index resetting the options: restore defaults button (see this picture I found on web)

5.jpg

Edited by UAC

Why would it have anything to do with Windows Search?

If you are just opening the Documents folder, it won't be using the indexer unless you search, filter, group, stack, etc (or sort by certain properties).

What column do you have the Documents folder sorted by? If you choose Name or Date Modified - does it make the folder load faster?

Why would it have anything to do with Windows Search?

What is the green bar scanning on the address bar? Why is it shown when I open the same folder consecutively?

1. Open Documents (bar scanning), 2. close documents, 3. Open Documents (bar scanning again)

Why is it so slow to scan 14 objects only???

What column do you have the Documents folder sorted by?

Sorted by Name

Edited by UAC

I think the green bar indicates that explorer is scanning the folder for files and changes to files. It came on for me whenever I went to any big folder, not just Documents.

If I were in my wallpapers folder, and I sorted the files by Dimensions, it would not do it instantly, however I notice the green bar loading and when that's done my pictures are re-arranged. I'm not sure how this helps your problem... :laugh:

-Rich-

Oh my god I found this bug, right now.

Reproduction steps (try many times if it doesn't work):

1. open a folder where you find a slow green bar scanning

2. close the folder before the scanning is finished

result:

greenbarbugsm8.png

post-232231-1190455227.png

I used to get the green bar before the performance patch, now i don't (no matter how hard i try).

I remember getting impatient sometimes and closing the window before it was done, I didn't get the above bug.

That's... odd. Is there anything unusual about your configuration? (weird memory settings, disabled page file, etc?)

The green bar just means Explorer is waiting for the ShellFolder to enumerate items or for the view to do any necessary work to display them (resorting, etc).

Probably a bug in a property handler or thumbnail handler... which could be a video or image codec, or anything else. What file types are in the folder in question?

Probably a bug in a property handler or thumbnail handler... which could be a video or image codec, or anything else. What file types are in the folder in question?

I haven't multimedia files in that folder.

In Documents folder I have: 1 mht file, 1 xps file and several subfolders.

view set to details.

What's in the subfolders? Could be a file in there with a bad handler since those items are being enumerated as well.

If you navigate to those subfolders, do any of them show the same problem?

Another possibilty is a bad context-menu handler or other type of add-in.

What's in the subfolders?

I have a lot of different files: pdf, zip, visual studio 2005 projects, html.

I use foxit reader.

If you navigate to those subfolders, do any of them show the same problem?

In subfolders the green progress bar is not shown.

The problem occurs in Documents folder only, not subfolders.

Another problem: right now, I noticed that all subfolders are slow to open! I click on them, but they are opened with a delay. Never happened before! What happens??? I use AVG Antivirus free. May be a bug in AVG antivirus?

I also noticed this: In explorer, if I click on the left tree view, the subfolder is opened instantly and they are shown in the right panel without problems. Instead, If I click on the right panel, the subfolder is opened with a delay

Edited by UAC

Strange. I'm not as familiar with those performance hotfixes though, so can't say what might have changed in those.

If you open, say, the Computer folder and then click on Documents in the left pane, do you get the same behavior?

Have you tried disabling AVG or anything else like that?

I found the BUG and the steps to reproduce it: it was the XPS file!!!!!!!!!!!!

reproduction steps:

1. download Windows Vista product guide XPS file:

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

2. copy XPS file in Documents folder

3. open the Documents folder

and you'll see a long delay and a slow green progress bar everytimes you open the Documents folder. Subfolders are also affected i.e. slow to open.

And if you're very lucky you could see a c++ runtime error when you close the windows.

Edited by UAC

I keep seeing people trying to solve Vista problems... What are the advantages to an average user like myself of getting it rather than sticking to XP SP2 which is running solidly?

I keep seeing people trying to solve Vista problems... What are the advantages to an average user like myself of getting it rather than sticking to XP SP2 which is running solidly?

Instant Search built in across the operating system, transactional NTFS to prevent file corruption in the event of a power outage, Superfetch learns your preferences and makes the applications you use most load faster, DirectX 10 support for gaming, a rock-solid kernel at the heart of the operating system, a more fluent user experience, and much more.