Ratchet & Clank on PS3 - 60fps at 1080i, 22GB space on Blu-ray

Straight from Insomniac comes news on the technical specs for Ratchet & Clank which is due for a release on the PS3 next month. The title can run at 60fps and supports both 720p and 1080i displays and takes up 22GB of the 25GB Blu-ray disc. Even without the localizations, the game couldn't fit on a DVD 9 reportedly.
Straight from Insomniac's Full Moon Show comes captivating information regarding framerate, resolution and disc size of Ratchet and Clank's upcoming adventure.

Set to run at 60 fps, the title will support both 720p and 1080i. For all you Resistance fans, they promise that all of their upcoming PS3 titles will support 60 fps (and that means Resistance 2 as well). Back to Ratchet and Clank, the title will take up a whopping 22 GB of a 25 GB Blu-ray disc. Even without the localizations, the title couldn't fit on a DVD9.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=21062

Good news! Also

Ratchet & Clank reviewed by PSM - scores 93/10

The latest issue of the PSM UK magazine has published a 'world exclusive' review on Rathcet & Clank for the PS3 and awarded it a score of 93/10. They conclude the game is intense, beautiful and accessabile and a return to the series roots resulting in one hell of a good game.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=21061

ps. i have the hangover from hell :(

Yawn, im getting bored of this "wouldnt fit on a dvd9" crap, if their games are that big then they are either doing something wrong or using crap compression.

Yes ok mr developer :p

You may be tired to hear it, but that's what is going to come from a 1st party Sony developer.

Yawn, im getting bored of this "wouldnt fit on a dvd9" crap, if their games are that big then they are either doing something wrong or using crap compression.

The Lost Odyssey developers must be using the ****iest compression methods ever, since the game takes 4 DVD's.

Like the PS3 is going to be able to use all of that at once. It'll just be a loooong, dragged out storyline.

Yus because an Xbox360, and all the earlier consoles could use a whole DVD/CD in one go, and the PS3 is the first to have a game that loads bit by bit of a disk.

Oh wait..

I don't care how big the game is, but only if it is a good game that is worth taking up that much space, and considering all Rachet & Clank games from pretty much every reviewer has had over 8/10, I'm inclined to believe it is.

And please lets not have a argument over the disk capacity in this topic, I think the Lost Odyssey topic is where that's going on.

The Lost Odyssey developers must be using the ****iest compression methods ever, since the game takes 4 DVD's.

They are using uncompressed CG video for their cut-scenes, rather than real-time video from the engine.

I am sure they have lot of stuff uncompressed because they are not worried about the disk space. If it were to be DVD 9 then I am sure they would have. Also I am guessing that the game would be 6 to 8 hours max, and lot of CG movies is uncompressed as delicate said. As of last year PS3 is rich man's console while 360 are for both rich and poor man's console.

I am just pointing out 360 since the quote in to first post referring to DVD9 (comparing PS3's BR to 360' DVD). I mean how many of you guys have 1080i or p TV?

It's obvious the space is taken up because a lack of compression. It's hardly pushing the limits of gfx today (N)

At 60FPS and 1080 I don't see how it isn't doing a good job of gfx.

The game looks very pixar like in quality if you ask me. Not as good as an actual movie, but it is very colourful and bright.

Have we been watching the same trailers? :rofl:

Even the review says "Endless visual jazz" ;)

So what if it hasn't been compressed? It means they can spend more time and resources on making the actual game a top title...and judging by that score, it looks like they've done a good job.

The game looks very pixar like in quality if you ask me. Not as good as an actual movie, but it is very colourful and bright.

It looks nothing like Pixar movies lol, I don't think any game comes close to that on any system. It was this trailer I watched.

and fps and res have nothing to do with the detail in the textures :p They looked very flat imo.

Visual jazz? Wtf does that even mean :p visuals described with a music genre, hmm

It looks nothing like Pixar movies lol, I don't think any game comes close to that on any system. It was this trailer I watched.

and fps and res have nothing to do with the detail in the textures :p They looked very flat imo.

Visual jazz? Wtf does that even mean :p visuals described with a music genre, hmm

Oh well. I think it looks great! ;) Especially scenes with all the explosions and bits of debris flying about.

I think the game will be seen as a AAA title by the majority as well.

Nice wee interview here about the most important changes - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25173.html

Oh well. I think it looks great! ;) Especially scenes with all the explosions and bits of debris flying about.

I think the game will be seen as a AAA title by the majority as well.

Nice wee interview here about the most important changes - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25173.html

Yeah the game will probably sell well and please the Rachet fans. Just don't see any reason why it would take 22GB, and most likely their isn't.

Yeah the game will probably sell well and please the Rachet fans. Just don't see any reason why it would take 22GB, and most likely their isn't.

You shouldn't let that bother you... leave it up to the developers to say how big the game is/make the game ;)

After all it is their game. Who are we to judge if they want to/need to use 22GB of space.

I can't comment on whether or not they genuinely need the space, but when they're pumping out games of this calibar who really cares :woot:

I don't belie you can actually render at an 1080i res, the actual rendering is done progreively. Wich mean the game i in reality 1080p30 wich get converted to 1080i60,now eeing a halfof thoe half frame are the ame, jut different poitions... could you really call it 60...