Windows 2000 is better?

I have been running XP since the day it came out, but I hate all the crap that comes along with it. I was thinking of downgrading to 2000 and just getting the latest service packs. All I run are windows platform programs and a lot of games. If I downgrade, will I still be able to run anything I want to as long as it is a windows program? I'm getting a gig of ddr ram so I guess I don't need to worry about memory shortage, but I just want to run a clean, streamline OS for once and 2000 seems like a much better choice for that. I put 2000 on my parents pc and it flies with 128 megs ram! you need 256 just to make xp smooth!

The only thing that seems to be keeping me at XP is the visual styles.

/edit comment removed. discussion should be encouraged, not discouraged. I apologize.

To address your question, I personally like WinXP more. Yes, Win2K does fly on less resources, though I don't have a problem with RAM (640) so WinXP flies for me too. If speed is what you're looking for and you have a small amount of RAM, then yes, maybe you might want to try out Win2K for a little while.

If you can force yourself to live without the themes then 2000 is faster yes, but it also doesnt have many cool XP features. The only reason I run XP is because of ClearType, everything else really does hurt my eyes (I have a tft).

Weigh up what you use and if you can live without it. I love XP's start bar too, guaranteed you'll miss that ;p

If you can force yourself to live without the themes then 2000 is faster yes, but it also doesnt have many cool XP features. The only reason I run XP is because of ClearType, everything else really does hurt my eyes (I have a tft).

Weigh up what you use and if you can live without it. I love XP's start bar too, guaranteed you'll miss that ;p

true, amen brother. screw it, I'm staying with xp. It will be fine with a gig of ram in it!

Just for fun try adjusting XP's system properties to best performance and see how it runs. I think you'll see a huge improvement in XP. Yes you'll lose the styles but if you were willing to go to 2000 then.....

Personally I prefer the classic interface and the performance loss with XP's styles is rather large for me. (I've got a slow PC. Yuck..... :( )

Here's my $0.02...

And just to let you know, I ran XP on my machine for quite some time. I gave it a chance, and it didn't live up to my expectations.

• XP is the latest in Windows OS'es. BUT, along with those few bugs that got worked out, you're getting more bloated code.
  • If you completely tweak out the same system with both OS'es, I assure you 2k will win in benchmarks.
  • Granted, XP has some features that even I want (no errors when networked drives can't be found, better built-in recognition for certain hardware, alpha effects, etc), but I want speed more than I want those features.
  • And just so you're not confused, VERY few people know how to tweak out a machine to it's fullest. I hate saying this because then it makes me sound like a egotistical ass, but after reading almost all the articles online and whatnot, nobody has a complete guide for it. And this next question isn't me saying "well, if you haven't read all of this, then you don't know what you're doing". Not at all. But I just want to point out how extensive I am in my learning about every possible speed increase I can get from these OS'es. How many of you can say that you've read through every page listing (I say page listing instead of each hack because it would make no sense to read each one, some are not performance enhancers, but rather, troubleshooters or whatnot, still a good read though) of http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm#Tip%20Index ? I have. Not in one day granted, but slowly, I made my way through, learning as I went.

just run services.msc and trim out all the unnecessary junk

right now, i've got a total of 6 services running and i average only 40/50MB of RAM usage

Which services are safe to "turn off"?

Please tell us. Thanks.