[AFL] Geelong Cats win AFL Grand Final by!

I was going for Geelong but I wasn't expecting them to win by such a great margin :cool:

Edit: Can a mod please remove the word "by" from the title? (so it will read "[AFL] Geelong Cats win AFL Grand Final!") :)

The opening to the 2007 AFL Grand Final has lived up to expectations with a fierce attack on the ball by both sides. The pace has been frenetic with the halfback lines of both sides holding firm.

The starting match ups: Chad Cornes on Joel Corey, Dominic Cassisi on Gary Ablett, Cameron Ling on Shaun Burgoyne and Kane Cornes on the Brownlow medallist, James Bartel. The Cats got the first score on the board with Nathan Ablett outbodied in a marking contest in the goal square for a rushed behind.

Brett Ebert missed a golden opportunity to score Port's first goal. After intercepting a kick-in he missed a shot on the run from 35 metres.

Matthew Stokes hurt his left knee in a marking contest in the opening minutes and left the ground in the hands of trainers.

Cameron Mooney scored Geelong's first gaol from point blank range after taking a contested mark against Darryl Wakelin. The Cats leading by five points. Paul Chapman dominated in the first quarter with penetrating kicks into the Cats 50 metre arc. Steve Johnson kicked Geelong's second goal after Mooney spotted him unmarked about 40 metres out. The Power's defence is starting to look like it doesn't have enough players to cover the rampant Cats.

Such is the confidence of the Cats, Paul Chapman chipped into the 50 merte arc to Matthew Scarlett who ran from fullback to have aset shot at goal - he missed, Cats by 12 points.

David Wojcinski put a tackle on Warren Tredrea but pushed him in the back at the same time. Tredders lined up for a set shot 15 metres out and kicked the Power's first goal, nine minutes top go in the first quarter.

Geelong are sticking to the formula of playing on at all costs. The Power have just turned the footy over twice in a minute, Johnson missed a banana on the run but second later G.Ablett pounced on a kick-in and scored a goal. Geelong by 13 points.

Shaun Burgoyne has shown anything yu can do...he ran full tilt at a boundary ruck contest and snapped a goal - back to a 7 point game. Great work Toby Thurstans to smother Chapman who was about to snap a goal.

It was short lived as Power fans across the country screamed who's on Chapman? The powerhouse Cats midfielder found Steve Johnson on his own 20 mertes out and the Cats put another on the board. 27 to 14 with six minutes to go in the first quarter.

Geelong coach Mark Thompson looked to hammer the Power by moving Brad Ottens to full forward and putting Steven King in the ruck. Joel Selwood missed a set shot for goal but hey he's just a kid playing in a rand Final in his first year. Matthew Stokes came back on so he's not as bad as first thought. Ottens has just chased down Pettigrew who likes to have a gallop - inspirational stuff.

Jimmy Bartel has snapped a goal with his left foot from just inside 50 and the crowd has erupted. team-mates came from everywhere to congratulate the brownlow medallist. Up until that point Kane Cornes had covered him well.

Geelong's James Kelly has missed a set shot in the last few seconds but the Cats lead by 23 points at quarter time. There's a big chance Geelong are about to smash 'em. If Paul Chapman holds his form he'll win the Norm Smith medal.

2nd Quarter

It's got the signs of a belting, Steve Johnson has just kicked his third on the run. A minute later and Max Rooke has dobbed one after Cameron Ling kept his feet in a tackle to get it off to him. The Cats by 35 points with 16 minutes to go in the second quarter.

Matthew Scarlett is setting up Geelong's attack beautifully. What about Chappy? He's killing them. Chapman has just kicked a goal after a free kick for around the neck.

Danyle Pearce has raced out of the centre but Motlop couldn't find a way to snap a goal and the Cats ran it out of defence.

If Geelong were kicking straight this Grand Final would resemble '88. As it is they're still 50 points up with eight minutes to play in the second quarter..

The Power have just kicked their second goal for the quarter but they're now playing two extra men in defence so scoring is going to be difficult against the Cats super back line. What's "Choco" going to come up with at halftime? He's been good on the yap all week but he'll have to come up with a speech to match Martin Luther King if he's going to fire up this lot in the second half..

Dean Brogan is hobbling around the boundary after falling heavily - looks okay to come on again. Ottens has just outmarked Wakelin but missed a set shot he should have taken - that's his second miss for the quarter. It's Geelong by 45 points but they haven't quite pulled the plug on the Power just yet..

The Cats defence looks so confident. Jacob Surjan just ran down Gary Ablett but his strength is incredible, he got a handpass away which led to Paul Chapman running away from his man to kick yet another goal. 51 points the difference with three minutes to go..

Tredders just had a crack from 50 metres but missed the set shot. It's the Cats by 52 at halftime.

3rd quarter

The Burgoyne brothers have started in the middle but the Cats have kicked the first goal of the second half. Cameron Mooney kicking a bomb from an angle. Nathan Ablett tried the same thing a minute later but his kick fell short..

The Power aren't putting any real pressure on at all. What afre the Collingwood players thinking right now? They lost to Geelong by just five oints and they might have beaten Port.

Doesn't matter now. The Cats are cruising and Jimmy Bartel has just kicked another one! It's 65 points the difference and there's still 16 minutes to go in the third quarter. David Rodan has just missed a set shot for Port - he was on the scrap heap a year ago and here is playing in a Grand Final.

What a mark! Paul Chapman has just taken the best screamer since Jezza, well it was pretty good anyway. Mooney just cleaned up Ebert - didn't see if it was legit'.

Brad Ottens has just done a Phil Manassa but didn't have enough gas in the tank to kick the goal. Port is offically gone. We've none for a while they can't win but they aren't even putting the Cats under the pump. Steven King's been good but would it have made any difference if Blake had played?

Port have just put together a clever goal but they're attacking in silence. The Cats fans know it doesn't matter if they get one every ten minutes. It's just as well Ottens has been smashing 'em up in the ruck because he can't kick straight. In fact the Cats have kicked 14.15 so the margin could have been a massacre - might be yet! Ottens got his first a minute later when he marked on the goal line.

What a bath! Chappy's just made the margin 77 points. Nathan Ablett had to be coerced into playing AFL football now he's kicked three goals in a Grand Final. Someone call Tony Ware (MCG groundsman) to get the super sopper out to mop up the blood.

One more to Mooney and the Cats lead by 90 points at the last change.

Last quarter

It's now a 96 point lead which equals the record winning margin Hawthorn clobbered Melbourne by in 1988. No sooner had the letters gone on the screen and the Cats make it 102, then 108. Chapman is a big chance to win the Norm Smith now, he's just booted another one. The greatest winning margin in a final or any sort is Essendon's 133 point win over Collingwood in the 1984 preliminary final.

Geelong have had 15 different goal-kickers. Matthew Scarlett might be named best on ground, he's been the architect of so many attacking passages of play whilst keeping Westoff quiet. It's Geelong by 115 points with 13 minutes to go.

It looks like Geelong has been allowed to play all 22 at once, they've got so many loose men. It's party time! Cameron Mooney has just snapped one from a standing start level with the behind post.

97,302 fans are at the "G" to see the most one-sided Grand Final in the 150 year history of the competition. There's one more record they could get, the highest score in a Grand Final. Geelong leads by 127 points but ned three more goals to get to Carlton's record of 28.9.177.

The scary thing for the rest of the competition is the quality of players who couldn't fit into the Geelong side. Tom Hawkins is a man mountain, Mark Blake will have a fire in his belly to get his own premiership medal, David Johnson and of course the injured Matthew Egan.

Mark Thompson had to endure an incredibly long review process and he hung onto his job in his eighth season by his fingernails. Now he can write his own contract.

It's been more than ABC, Ablett, Bartel and Corey today. The wole side has played a role. I think Scarlett should get the Norm Smith medal. The premiership cup will be presented by Fred Wooller, captain of the 1963 Geelong premiership side.

Siren! Geelong by 119 points! Their first flag in 44 years. :yes:

Source

(Y)

Edited by redeemed

I didn't watch it. Don't follow the sport really but when I got home at the 2nd quater and they were 30 ahead I basically said it was going to be a killing. My dad then remarked they havent won yet. haha...yeah right.

One comment that the commentators said though was quite relevant. They basically said based on the score perhaps Port would have been better off not even making the finals since that score line will stick for a very long time.

I'm more interested in the NRL game tomorrow but...hopefully I can get out of work early enough to see some of it.

I didn't watch it. Don't follow the sport really but when I got home at the 2nd quater and they were 30 ahead I basically said it was going to be a killing. My dad then remarked they havent won yet. haha...yeah right.

One comment that the commentators said though was quite relevant. They basically said based on the score perhaps Port would have been better off not even making the finals since that score line will stick for a very long time.

I'm more interested in the NRL game tomorrow but...hopefully I can get out of work early enough to see some of it.

+1. I like NRL better than AFL but when AFL is a high scoring affair with lots of skill, it's really fun to watch. Go Manly Sea-Eagles (for tomorrow)!

haha I'm vouching for Melb, although being a QLD'er I'm fairly neutral either way. Just feel that Melb deserve the win for the past 2 or 3 seasons, taking nothing away from Manly's excellent season. Should be a good game, the two best and most consistent sides have made it so whoever wins will truly deserve it.