Phil Harrison: We Did Not Mandate Motion Sensing in Lair

Phil Harrison: We Did Not Mandate Motion Sensing in Lair

Think Sony made Factor 5 go with motion controls for Lair? Think again, says SCE Worldwide President Phil Harrison. He explained that Sony leaves those decisions up to developers. Harrison also defended Heavenly Sword's short length.

We recently reported that Ken Levine, 2K Boston president and creator of BioShock, actually came to the defense of Sony's Lair, which has been largely panned by critics for its motion controls. Levine speculated at the time that Sony probably gave developer Factor 5 a mandate of sorts to utilize the Sixaxis motion controls. Phil Harrison, President of SCE Worldwide Studios, disputes that notion, however.

Speaking to GameTrailers, he said, "[Motion control] was definitely not mandated by us. We've always said all along that the use of the Sixaxis is something that should be decided by the developer in tune with their creative vision for the game, so it's not something we would mandate."

Harrison was also asked about the reviews for Heavenly Sword, a game that took some flack for being fairly short. Nevertheless, Harrison doesn't view the length of the game as a problem.

"You know what? Not that many people finish games, so I think we shouldn't criticize a game for being a story, which has an arc with a beginning, a middle and an end... and actually encouraging all gamers to see all of the story, I think that's something positive."

When further pressed about the relatively short length, and how that could disappoint a kid who's been saving money for a $60 game, Harrison responded, "I don't know anybody who can play [through] Heavenly Sword in six hours, other than some really hardcore game tester who's worked on it a lot."

He added, "I think if the quality of the production experience, the quality of the gameplay, the way that it moves you emotionally... if it delivers on all of those fronts, what's wrong with this picture?"

Source: GameDaily BIZ

"I don't know anybody who can play [through] Heavenly Sword in six hours, other than some really hardcore game tester who's worked on it a lot."

Just cause you don't know them Philly boy, don't mean they don't exist.

Just cause you don't know them Philly boy, don't mean they don't exist.

Yep they exist but there are other that are not going to finish the game in one sit or two, like me. I got the game on release date and I haven't finish it yet. I'm in the final boss but I have work and other things to do, oh and Warhwk :D :p

Yep they exist but there are other that are not going to finish the game in one sit or two, like me. I got the game on release date and I haven't finish it yet. I'm in the final boss but I have work and other things to do, oh and Warhwk :D :p

Yup, true :yes:

I wonder if this petty bickering will affect Factor 5 working with Sony in the future?

Factor 5 themselves announced Lair's development was a curse for them from the start.

I'm sure they realise their game is mince and will move on :yes:

Although I disagree with most everything that Phil Harrison says, I do agree that Heavenly Sword's length shouldn't be scoffed at.

I have plenty of stuff that takes up my time, so I love it when I get a game that's fun to play and won't take me more than a few sittings to finish. Because honestly, if it takes me more than a few week's worth of sittings to beat a game, I'll lose interest and stop playing.

Not to mention there are times when several games I want to play are released relatively close to each other. (*cough* Bioshock, Halo3, Assassin's Creed, HL2:Ep2, Portal, TF2, Mass Effect *cough*) So, it's nice when some games are short enough that they don't take time away from other games.

"I don't know anybody who can play [through] Heavenly Sword in six hours, other than some really hardcore game tester who's worked on it a lot."

Right.

Seriously, he's spouts more bull**** than your average MP!