Rumor: Microsoft Payoff = No PS3 Bioshock

Bioshock was tipped numerous times to be coming to the PS3 so you can speculate it was on its way till MS paid off 2k. Unlike a true exclusive game which would have no intentions of going anywhere else at all.

Due to the fact its on the PC as well makes this whole thing not as much as a problem for gamers anyway - Gamers without a 360 obviously.

Well there's never been anoy talk or announcements of Bioshock being on the PS3. the closest there has been was the line in the ini file of the PC version that mentioned PS3, wich again isn't proof or even hinting at anything as it's a cross platform engine.

Many games have mentioned consoles or stuff there has never been any plans to develop for in config files.

Your logic doesn't directly apply.

you are assuming that the GTA4 xtras for the 360 would be made anyway. While reality is that once GTA4 was done, rockstar would probably have moved on to creating the next GTA4 engine based game (like Vice city and SA are GTa3 based games).

SO instead the argument could be made that because MS cares about "their" gamers they pay Rockstar to make addtional content or downloadable content for the xbox360 version to extend the life of it.

Er no, they were making the extra content anyway, microsoft threw $150m at them to make the extra content 360 only. Microsoft dont care, they jus want people to buy the 360 because they have bought exclusives.

Exclusives are fine when developrs decide who they want to be loyal to. But when companys like Microsoft throw loads of money to companies like Rockstar for GTA4 Xbox exclusive content and now money to get Bioshock as an exclusive it spoils it for the gamers.

The only reason they throw money out left right and center is to get one up over Sony, they dont care about the gamers.

LOL, So you obviously don't have an xbox360 and want to play Bioshock.

It's just business, that's how it works.

Let's not forget - this is just a rumour.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be allowed, for any company, of any size. Otherwise, a whole platform of gamers can be excluded just because the company behind the game has a lot of money.

And let's also not forget: Microsoft are scum ;)

How is it "gay"? Way to show your intelligence there.

Seriously? Its a game thread. Take your political agenda and whining elsewhere.

Anyways, I fail to see how things like this are legal (whether I am the beneficiary or not). Microsoft is not buying the company but paying them to stifle the competition. I guess if your hardware can't win the next-gen console battle, you better tie up the software from being on any other system.

Bioshock for the PS3 is coming. Its the worst kept secret in the industry right now. :)

Thanks for your insight. But it would be a lot more credible if you provided a source since the devs themselves have said it ain't coming to PS3 :)

Er no, they were making the extra content anyway, microsoft threw $150m at them to make the extra content 360 only. Microsoft dont care, they jus want people to buy the 360 because they have bought exclusives.

Where did you get that fantastic intel.

Seeing as the extra content has NEVER been talked about on any other platforms than the 360, and there wasn't even any talk of extra content untill after MS paid Rockstar, that's when Rockstar said "we're doing extra downloadbale chapters for the 360". Heck I think MS and Rockstar even preactically said that's why MS paid them. MS paid them to make the downloadable content.

ever since thee was firts talk of DLC for GTA4, the only platform mentioned has been the 360.

Seriously? Its a game thread. Take your political agenda and whining elsewhere.

Anyways, I fail to see how things like this are legal (whether I am the beneficiary or not). Microsoft is not buying the company but paying them to stifle the competition. I guess if your hardware can't win the next-gen console battle, you better tie up the software from being on any other system.

Oh, come on. :rolleyes: Because Bioshock will suddenly shift the tide for all the mistakes Sony has made so far...

I agree, when it comes down to extras its up to whoever "asks" the developers to make it.

The thing in this case is Bioshock ISN'T a 360 exclusive. It came out on the PC. MS have just paid to keep Bioshock off the PS3, not to keep it as an "exclusive".

Bioshock was tipped numerous times to be coming to the PS3 so you can speculate it was on its way till MS paid off 2k. Unlike a true exclusive game which would have no intentions of going anywhere else at all.

Due to the fact its on the PC as well makes this whole thing not as much as a problem for gamers anyway - Gamers without a 360 obviously.

That's still technically on a Microsoft product. Same with Gears of War, Lost Planet, and others that have been on 360 and PC.

But when 2K Games debunked the "coming out on Playstation" rumor shortly after release, they actually said "we have a special deal with Microsoft to keep this game exclusive".

So this is nothing new, and not that big of a deal. I wouldn't be suprised if Sony paid for the exclusivity of Haze, or timed exclusivity of UT2K7. And you better bet that the checkbook has been opened for MGS4 and FF13.

isnt everyone here forgetting that this is mostly a rumor? there is no hard fact beyond someone saying their "sources" have told them something. I think the real question here is, is this slander? can M$ sue EGM for writing this stuff about them? think about it- if celebrities can sue for basically the same thing, what gets EGM off the hook for wild speculation?

Oh, come on. :rolleyes: Because Bioshock will suddenly shift the tide for all the mistakes Sony has made so far...

thats hardly the point, and while i think the person you quoted doesnt have much of a point either, he does bring up an interesting idea, lol

That's still technically on a Microsoft product. Same with Gears of War, Lost Planet, and others that have been on 360 and PC.

But when 2K Games debunked the "coming out on Playstation" rumor shortly after release, they actually said "we have a special deal with Microsoft to keep this game exclusive".

So this is nothing new, and not that big of a deal. I wouldn't be suprised if Sony paid for the exclusivity of Haze, or timed exclusivity of UT2K7. And you better bet that the checkbook has been opened for MGS4 and FF13.

Isn't Haze just a time exclusive though? unless it's changed recently HAze was just moved to early 2k8 release on the 360. And that was definately paid for, since the actual developers of the game said they where doing all 3 versions in paralell and they'd be done at the same time, untill the distrbutor suddenly stepped in... doens't actually require a brain surgeon to figure out what happened there does it :p

Then there is the lingering question of the rumored PS3 version of BioShock found in the PC code. Levine responds quite clearly, "I promise you, there is no secret plan about the PS3 that we're keeping from people. There's no PS3 development going on that we're hiding. There's lots of stuff that gets into game code, plans change over time and we got an exclusive deal with Microsoft ... that's not a Rosetta Stone discovery."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/24/levine-c...a-on-pc-issues/

I believe it was initially in development (there's a lot of signs pointing to this), but MS paid for the exclusivity. Again, like it's been said above, this has been going on for years, Sony has done it, Nintendo has done it, I'm sure Sega did it.

Isn't Haze just a time exclusive though? unless it's changed recently HAze was just moved to early 2k8 release on the 360. And that was definately paid for, since the actual developers of the game said they where doing all 3 versions in paralell and they'd be done at the same time, untill the distrbutor suddenly stepped in... doens't actually require a brain surgeon to figure out what happened there does it :p

Last I heard (which was several weeks after the timed-exclusive announcement at E3), it was announced that the PC and 360 versions had stopped production.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/haze/ne...964&cpage=4

Today, Ubisoft amended its statement, saying that currently only the PS3 version of Free Radical's shooter is in development. The France-based publisher also noted that it was still leaving the door open in the future for "new partnerships," but currently the game is indeed only planned for the PS3.

It could still be a timed-exclusive, but MS might have to cough up cash to even get it on PC or 360.

well lets think of this logically , halo 3 is now selling the 360's and will do for a while even with bioshock in PS3 table then i dont think it would effect too much as halo 3 and bioshock are the same kinda thing, i would imagine people would buy the 360 for bioshock as it has halo 3 too play too

basically... sony needs to get halo 3 banned from selling in US and EU :p

Sony did the same with GTA a long time ago, so it works both ways. NEway, there's nothing illegal about it - companies are free to choose who the align themselves with and who they accept money from - it's up to them to decide whether it is worth developing for multiple platforms or accepting a payoff and only developing for one. If every game was available for every console then there would be little point to there being multiple platforms.