Pentium 4 vs Pentium Dual Core

Hi everyone,

Ive been looking at new Cpu's and i was wondering this.

I currently have a Pentium 4 "Prescott" 3.00Ghz, would a Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8ghz be quicker?

I know the Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz would be faster, but as this is a Pentium Dual Core, and has less cache and a slower FSB, do you think it would be an ugrade?

Cheers, Woj

It should be; maybe some video processing stuff might be faster on the P4. What's more important it will run very cool and easily overclock to around 2.5Ghz...blowing the P4 out of the water.

I had the same chip as you and now have a 6750 core2duo, ConvertXtoDvd used to take me 50 minutes to convert a movie to DVD on my old cpu, now it takes 25 minutes which includes burning time too! The E2160 is pretty low end, it will be faster but I woudln't get it if you have a P4 3ghz. It's true you can OC C2D really well, I can get to 3.2ghz on stock no issues, I haven't tried more than that but i'm happy :)

Check this out, gives you an idea, keep in mind tho all of these are dual core cpus, the pentium D is pretty old now and just came out after the chip I had, 3ghz prescott heater :)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...60_8.html#sect1

Hi everyone,

Ive been looking at new Cpu's and i was wondering this.

I currently have a Pentium 4 "Prescott" 3.00Ghz, would a Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8ghz be quicker?

I know the Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz would be faster, but as this is a Pentium Dual Core, and has less cache and a slower FSB, do you think it would be an ugrade?

Cheers, Woj

Most likely in multithreaded apps the E2160 will be faster, cooler, and use less power.

You need to make sure your motherboard will support this CPU. It may fit the socket but the PC won't recognize it properly.

Yep, im planning to upgrade Mobo aswell, so it will support it.

Im planning to use my PC for gaming, and some photo editing on Photoshop, Which CPU will perform better?

Cheers

Edit: Just a few more questions, whats the highest do you think the E2160 could be Oc'd to with the stock cooler?

This is my situation, if you had neither of the CPU's, Which one would you buy?, as im either going to have to buy the P4 3ghz again, or the E2160.

Cheers guys.

Edited by Woj

Go for the E2160 (Y)

As for overclocking, I say it'll reach 2.4-2.8 very safe on stock cooler, and also note that a 2.8GHz Pentium Dual Core IS NOT Pentium 4 2.8GHz, different design and dual core advantages, I think a 2.8 GHz dual core will perform like a Pentium 4 running at 5-6GHz, but uses WAY less power and runs WAY cooler.

WTF lol I just ordered intel Pentium E2160 Dual Core 2 days ago, get it tomorow (Friday) and getting 2GB ddr2 ram too :D Same minds a :p

according to a local frys employee, (I DID NOT make this up) "Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duos are pretty much the exact same thing...so go with the pentium 4 .....Damn idiots lol

I have the E2160 and with a Scythe Infinity cooler i could get mine up to 3.2Ghz, any higher and it was just gonna get too hot to run.

@ Orange up there, Let me know what its like when you get it :D

And its the Pentium Dual Core, not Core 2 Duo =]

Hehe, Cheers.

Technically it is a Core 2 Duo, mine for example is the Conroe core which is basically a Core 2 Duo with disabled cache and slower FSB speed.

Thanks Sheppard.

In real world terms, what effect does the slower FSB and disabled cache have?

Woj

I believe there are two types of Pentium 4 "Prescott" one with 533FSB & the other 800FSB so it will not have a slower FSB then the E2160 with 800FSB as for disabled cache it will not effect it that much.

I got is this morning before heading off to work. Came back for lunch and tried it but no luck :( The pc turns on but the monitor doesn't come on at all. I have 3GHZ ht pen 4 531 socket 775 yet this doesnt work maybe im doing something wrong :(

Thanks Sheppard.

In real world terms, what effect does the slower FSB and disabled cache have?

Woj

Basically it runs slightly slower than an equivalent 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo with full cache enabled and faster FSB, game wise your looking at maybe 2-3Fps difference in games depending on game obviously. But as i said you can overclock the CPU to compensate for the the half the cache and slower FSB Issue.

If you are on a budget and your choice is either a Netburst P4 (prescott) or a "Pentium Dual Core" Core 2 based id go with the latter every time, it does everything the Core 2 Duo does.

I believe there are two types of Pentium 4 "Prescott" one with 533FSB & the other 800FSB so it will not have a slower FSB then the E2160 with 800FSB as for disabled cache it will not effect it that much.

Even if the Prescott had faster FSB the Core 2 architecture that the E2160 is based on will blast it out of the water any time of the day.

I got is this morning before heading off to work. Came back for lunch and tried it but no luck :( The pc turns on but the monitor doesn't come on at all. I have 3GHZ ht pen 4 531 socket 775 yet this doesnt work maybe im doing something wrong :(

The motherboard has to support it. Tried a BIOS update? what's the model of your board?

The motherboard has to support it. Tried a BIOS update? what's the model of your board?

if the board was intended for Pentium 4's originally, it wont support Core 2s (ie: the E2160). a bios update wont help as it is a hardware requirement - voltage regulators.

if the board was intended for Pentium 4's originally, it wont support Core 2s (ie: the E2160). a bios update wont help as it is a hardware requirement - voltage regulators.

Pretty much mad now as first this chip don't work and 2nd my dual 2gb memory doesn't work either so waste of ?101

Kinder calmed my self down now still mad at the fact i lost money on this but i wish there was website which told you what your motherboard can take and not, i went to this site..

I have a Socket 775 motherboard. What can I upgrade to?

* Socket 775 holds Intel's Core 2 CPUs.

o Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, E4400, E4500, E6300, E6320, E6400, E6420, E6540, E6550, E6600, E6700, E6750, E6850 (Conroe)

o Intel Pentium E2140, E2160 (Conroe)

o Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (Conroe)

o Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Q6700 (Kentsfield)

o Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700, QX6800, QX6850 (Kentsfield)

o Intel Celeron-D 420, 430, 440 (Millville)

so i thought to my self my board can take it, i was very wrong then just now found out my board is only single channel not dual as i thought so another waste lol