Half-Life 2 Xbox Exclusive!

i read this over at planethalflife.com

Half-Life 2: Xbox Exclusive?

1/10/2003 10:21 PST | Half-Life | by Fragmaster |

The February issue of the Official Xbox Magazine has a rumor reporting that Valve head honcho Gabe Newell has been working on a deal with Microsoft to make Half-Life 2 an Xbox exclusive title. Now don't get scared, there will certainly be a PC version, just no PS2 or GameCube ports.

Given the complexity of Half-Life 2 (in theory, at least, since almost no information has been released about it) and the fact that Gabe Newell worked for Microsoft for 13 years before starting up Valve, well, there's probably some truth to this rumor.

:no:

good, x box needs help this!

most poeple only buy PS2 for GTA and i'm sick of it. XBox is a worthy machiine, but the ONLY reason it is behind PS2 is because of EA's horrible ports and the lack of games because playstation blocks them one way or another.

people we need competition, if XBox died, then Playstation would run the video game world as we know it. Gamecube doens't even stand a chance in the US.

w00t! This will rock if this is true.......half life 2 is long overdue....i mean half life has been out since 1998 FFS! I doubt we'll see it before 2004 though :(

who cares? the pc version will be released sometime after the xbox release like in the case of splintercell.

Remember, not everybody has (or can afford) a Geforce 4 Ti or better video card, so everybody who doesn't will not be getting graphics as good as the XBox version. :rolleyes:

Cool, can't wait to play this :)

i also heard that Doom III will also be comming to the xbox... i found a link but you need to be a gamespot comlete member

John Carmack confirms that the graphically impressive first-person shooter will come out for the Xbox and will match the visual feats of the PC version.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/...2877682,00.html

xbox is the FPS console daddy

you got that right. and thats yet another reason for anyone's who's bored of the genre to not care and say "oh, yet another FPS for xbox..."

Gamecube doens't even stand a chance in the US.

surrrrrrrrre. thanks for comin out champ

:woot: spyder i really hope you dont think this is just "another" fps. sure the box has a h3ll of a lotta fps but cmon even U have to pay some homage to the fact that this is HALF-LIFE 2. this would be a great boost for the box and i would get one for my pc and my box if this is true.

Ya cuz Halo was 'great' why I remeber those 'cool' parts with slow down. And I 'loved' the retarded feel of aiming and how inaccurate you could be but still make the kill. FPSs belong home on the PC.

:woot: spyder i really hope you dont think this is just "another" fps. sure the box has a h3ll of a lotta fps but cmon even U have to pay some homage to the fact that this is HALF-LIFE 2. this would be a great boost for the box and i would get one for my pc and my box if this is true.

yep i do, and no i don't. my excitement level is absolutely zero regarding any game of the genre. just don't like em. nothing wrong with that, right? :happy:

yep i do, and no i don't. my excitement level is absolutely zero regarding any game of the genre. just don't like em. nothing wrong with that, right? :happy:

nah theres nothing wrong w/ it its all good :cool: i just feel bad for u. :no: your really missing out. but if you dont like them.... ah well :D

who cares? the pc version will be released sometime after the xbox release like in the case of splintercell.

Remember, not everybody has (or can afford) a Geforce 4 Ti or better video card, so everybody who doesn't will not be getting graphics as good as the XBox version. :rolleyes:

Actually GeForce3 (that's what's in the XBox). And by the time the game comes out, GF4 cars WILL be quite affordable. The video card market moves fast. Prices on GeForce cards seem to drop $100 per 6-9 months.

Actually GeForce3 (that's what's in the XBox). And by the time the game comes out, GF4 cars WILL be quite affordable. The video card market moves fast. Prices on GeForce cards seem to drop $100 per 6-9 months.

The chip in the XBox is, technically speaking, an advanced Geforce 3. It is slighly more powerful than the Geforce 3 (its codename was NV2A). It wasn't quite as powerful as the Geforce 4 Ti series though, but it was pretty close.

The point is, when developers are creating the game for the PC, they have to consider the lowest common denominator of video cards, which at the time the game comes out will probably still be about as powerful as a Geforce 2 card (that will probably be the minimum requirement). When they develop for the XBox, they are working with fixed hardware, so everybody will have that NV2A chip inside their XBox, and they know that they can code the game to take advantage of all DirectX 8.1 functions. Yes, I know that they can make it so the game takes advantage of better video cards, and has nicer effects on them, but they can only go so far.

they sold way to many half lifes for pc..with those sales, plus the mods they bought...that would be a stupid decesion to have it an xbox exclusive..unless ms really payed them off :)

my only worry is that the title will be delayed after its release on xbox..... like some of the other "system selling" titles. luckily ms doesnt OWN valve(yet, right? heh), so it wont take as long as halo has to be released on pc.

on the other hand.... valve has never really been very quick to release a game... it could be xbox next next next by the time it is released ;p

they sold way to many half lifes for pc..with those sales, plus the mods they bought...that would be a stupid decesion to have it an xbox exclusive..unless ms really payed them off :)

No, I think you misunderstood the meaning of "XBox Exclusive" in this case. When any game is stated as being "[console name here] Exclusive", it is almost always referring to console exclusivity. It says nothing about the PC version. There will most definitely be a PC version of this. I will be shocked if there isn't.

I find FPS so tedious, i can't see why everybody gets so excited about them.

You're just buying Doom/Quake over and over again.

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

and on consoles they're even worse, the joypad and slow frame rates ruin what little playability there was. Ever played Halo 4 players at once?

Don't bother, it plays in s-l-o-w motion :(