Slipstream Updates into XP

Is it possible to slipstream updated software (e.g. DirectX 9.0, Windows Media Player 9.0, and Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1) and hotfixes into Windows XP. I have already created an SP1 slipstream, now I want to add these components to it.

An unattended install is an installation which already has the answers to the questions it asks you during the install (and some you dont get asked also).

Normally the easiest thing to do is run the setup manager which is in deploy.cab on the windows 2000/xp cd rom in the support folders.

It will ask you questions and create a text file. save it as winnt.sif and put it on a floppy disk, when you boot from the windows xp cd make sure the floppy with just the winnt.sif file on it is in teh drive and the install will complete automatically, it will put in things like the serial, localisation settings, network setup, etc.

You can also manually edit the file adding lots of extras such as what components are "visible" in teh OS. Most components are actually installed, like Internet Explorer, but they are not visible to the user, however you can install them using windows components manager.

If you have any more questions I will be happy to find some documentation i made for work about a year ago. The process is the same for Windows 2000/XP (i have never done it for NT4). It is very handy, and on Windows XP you can bypass the annoying OOBE screen where you have to setup your internet connection and user accounts etc stright after install.

cheers

i know that i have seen people in forums that say their XP disc is slipstreamed with all hotfixes and different thing such as DX9 and WMP9. i think it was a poll on one Beta site i dont remember which one maybe Winbeta?

You cannot slipstream Hotfiexes etc like a Service Pack its just not possible.

All you can do is use SYSPREP and make an image of them installed using nosidgen so you don't include the accounts.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i just figured out my first Unattended Install W/ Slipstream, I can't handle dealing with individual hotfixes. I'd rather just install them later via Windows Update or Wait for the next Service Pack, which seems a hella lot easier.

Is it possible to slipstream updated software (e.g. DirectX 9.0, Windows Media Player 9.0, and Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1) and hotfixes into Windows XP. I have already created an SP1 slipstream, now I want to add these components to it.

fyi..if you slipstreamed xp sp1 then you already have IE 6.0 sp1 .. no need to download that and install it