[xbox] can the hdd crash?

Is it possible for the Xboxs harddrive to crash?

Its just like a pc's hd so would it be wise to purchase a memory card to backup the save games? or maybe ftp'em over to my pc when i get a mod chip?

yes, like any other HD, there exists the possibilty of it crashing. As for FTP'ing it to your PC, I don't see how you're going to do that. Mod Chips don't just turn your XBox into a windows/linux machine. You have to format the drive and lose the ability to use it as a console to do that...

The hard drive is a mechanical device...it's inevitable that eventually the moving parts of the drive will fail. However, Microsoft has designed the Xbox in such a way to minimize the possibility of this. The drive runs at a low RPM, which generates a smaller amount of heat than your average PC drive. I wouldn't worry too much about the drive failing, as I don't even think I've ever heard of anyone having their hard drive fail.

yes, like any other HD, there exists the possibilty of it crashing. As for FTP'ing it to your PC, I don't see how you're going to do that. Mod Chips don't just turn your XBox into a windows/linux machine. You have to format the drive and lose the ability to use it as a console to do that...

timdorr my man you need to do some reading up ;)(Xbox-Scene)

Evox - Telnet/FTP commands

EvolutionX (util)

>> EvolutionX main feature list:

- FTP Server; connect with a standard ftp client from your PC, and copy files to / from your XBOX as you like.

<snip>

Edited by DJ^TuRKiYe

I've never heard of it failing, but like the others said, it's entirely possible, it's a hard drive, they can fail. The same as the Optical drive in the PS2 can fail (now that I've heard happen a lot :| ).

Any hard drive can fail, in a computer, a console or even an iPod.....

I have heard of it hapenning but if you have a problem with your Xbox it's the least likely to happen.....

Best bet is to back up the saves once you get a modchip....

it'll be ok tim tim, you didn't know :no:

I'm pretending that you were just being sarcastic