car dome lights

In the newer Pontiac Cavileers' the interior dome light fade out when the doors are closed.... This is how I mean.

When the car door is open the interior light turns on

When the car door is shut, the interior light fades off instead of quickly turning off

What I want to know is how this is achieved. I like that effect and would like to modify my own interior lights to do the same.My first guess of the top of my head is that there is a capacitor on the positive line that runs from the door switch to the light. If I'm right on this, I need to know how big the capacitor is. Of course, it may be using an entirly different method, but I'm still curious about how it might be done.

Any ideas from anyone?

Ya, that's what I mean.... But is it necessary to use an IC? Is there no way to really simply achieve this?

i dunno...there aren't all that many components on that circuit tho. but i'd assume you could fiddle with it using a cap and a resistor.

lots of cars are doing that fading thing now, even the neons have fading dome lights. theirs even have a few second timer before the fader starts. i kinda want a circuit like that.

That's what I was thinking... Would not just a latge capacitor do it? As long as the voltage never exceeds 14 volts I don't think I can burn anything out.

From what I remember, there are two basic types of DC capacitors, a basic circular shaped one, and then a cylindrical one that's different in that it only allows power to leak out one terminal, and I think it had a steadier discharge rate...

Of course I could be all wrong on this... But I'd like to simply add a capacitor to it and see what it does. But I'm not sure about what value I should try with... Perhaps 22uf 16V?