Everyone's Switching to Mac's

KeR

A year or so I was the only one with a Mac. With my brother getting one today, and most of my friends having purchased one recently most everyone I know has an Apple Computer now. Its funny how quickly things have changed, and I love the fact that I don't have to remove spy-ware on a monthly basis from peoples PC any-longer.

Slimy

A handful of people is everyone? I'm not on a Mac, guess I broke your title :p

Personally, I dread more people getting Macs because I'll fix them, sigh.

KeR
A handful of people is everyone? I'm not on a Mac, guess I broke your title :p

Personally, I dread more people getting Macs because I'll fix them, sigh.

everyone around me I suppose :D

russellc

Hey I switched to Apple a little more than a year ago too. :p

Janitor

Just wait until they become as popular as Windows.. ;)

Win2Mac
A year or so I was the only one with a Mac. With my brother getting one today, and most of my friends having purchased one recently most everyone I know has an Apple Computer now. Its funny how quickly things have changed, and I love the fact that I don't have to remove spy-ware on a monthly basis from peoples PC any-longer.

Well, as the name would suggest, I am going to convert as well. I haven't done so as of yet, but the reasons are compelling enough to make me do so. I have used Windows since its inception. I used an Atari 400, 800, C64, Atari ST, Amiga, Apple II, IBM 8086, 386 and ultimately the Core 2 Duo processor with Vista that I am currently typing this posting with. Why do I want to switch? Well, I would suppose the reasons are varied, and they confuse me as well as even at 41 I am an avid gamer. My business uses all PC's, so the switch will not be easy, however I cannot contend with the spyware, virus software, needless prompts, and associated garbage that comes with Windows. Interesting observations...

1. XP was far better than Vista, however after shelling out for Home Premium, I find it to be extreme bloatware that brings my dual core to its knees compared to the fully retail copy of XP that I have in the drawer.

2. Why not go back to XP? Well that would be like asking an OS X user to go back to OS 9. Why regress when progress is inevitable, however at Microsoft, they aren't listening to real users any more, they listed to the bean counters that say they only need to sell *** numbers of licenses to make it profitable.

3. Mac's software is more limited than Windows, but lets face it, when we find the programs that we have to invest money, time, and patience into learning them, we really don't want to change. Well, OS X has the software I need for the programs I want to run.

4. As for gaming, well, for that reason I will have to dual boot the dang thing and I will be running XP on that system and not Vista. XP was a good operating system that MS had no business "upgrading" the way they did. From the delays you can tell it was an exercise in futility and was poorly planned from the beginning.

5. What I will enjoy? Being able to tell the myriad of people who call me with problems (I am the resident guru, or rather most helpful guru at work) that I can't help them as while I remember the problems I had, I took the steps necessary to ensure I didn't have to deal with it anymore. I will suggest they do the same. I will also enjoy not having to deal with Microsoft and their punishment they deal to the consumer. I am tired of having to call India to activate my software that I purchased. Oh, so sorry, that you are dealing with pirates, seems to me it can't be hurting that bad as your Market Capitalization is twice that of apple and quite frankly I have seen pictures of Mr. Gates home. He isn't starving, but his company is not responsive to the consumer.

6. What was the last straw? Well, my favorite game crashing to a blue screen instead of the desktop when I quit the application. Stop error 0x0000010e. Too many of those with vista and I don't want to regress!

7. Lastly, I think the differences between the two operating systems are not insurmountable and I wish the two would get over their egos and collaborate rather than conspire. The way it is now, we are in the crosshairs and there is no winner.

What will my new mac be? Well, it will be a Penryn based Mac Pro hopefully with an upgraded video card, or it will have the X1900 and maybe I will finally lose interest in games. Won't know though until next month.

Timan

You know what I hate about people you know switching... They figure since you're a mac person you'll be their tech support bitch for life... It sucks :( trying to explain the same thing over and over.

goatsniffer

I switched to a mac too... and then the shrooms wore off.

Win2Mac
You know what I hate about people you know switching... They figure since you're a mac person you'll be their tech support bitch for life... It sucks :( trying to explain the same thing over and over.

Oh yeah, and since MS has over 90% of the market, it is magnified 9 times for us Windows people! I won't need a tech support person as I will take the time to read books, forums, and other sources of information and truly learn the OS. Windows users want someone to come fix everything for them so they can send their emoticons correctly in Windows Messenger!

gollux

No, that's just the result of knowing too much about a subject. Probably why I'm the XP computer support bitch in our company. I've been owned, too late now unless I start drinking stupid juice on the job.

Cormier6083

I'm getting one soon, and I'm converting my aunt. She knows nothing about computers. I just hope that the Mac can offer her a better exp.

brandnewfantx

There is one thing I hate about people with Mac's that ego cloud that they have. " My computer doesn't get virus or spy-ware" Well if you OSX had a bigger Market Share then Windows then I would be singing your song. Smaller market share makes it a less reason for people to hack, or make virus for. Example: You have a key that will open all 50 Ford Mustangs, or 3 Camero's. Also I hate the Classic mac owner saying "My Mac is way better than any PC"Its not that OSX is better and all that crap... Its that OSX is designed on to run on OSX Hardware.

*Steps off Soap Box*

Win2Mac
I'm getting one soon, and I'm converting my aunt. She knows nothing about computers. I just hope that the Mac can offer her a better exp.

If she is computer challenged, she will find the MAC so easy to use. Not that she wouldn't find XP easy to use, but the first time she clicked on one of those "innocent" popups or installed an active x control that professed to help her and instead loaded her computer with spyware it would require your services.

A macbook would work nicely for her. Sleek, carefree, good battery life, and can run windows for the time when she must use it.

se7en.hu

same stuff here since i got one about 2 years ago, my dad has one, his wife has one, 80% of my friends have bought one, my brother wants one etc. its like all it took for them to buy one was to actually see what it is.

sbrum

Im getting a mac also. I have a Vista box (waste imo) and xp box (love) and a Linux box (does what i need - fun). I like the mac hardware and now that I see whats in leopard, im sold. Going to get a 24" imac. this will work perfect with my setup.

Not to bash Microsoft, but i fell for the Window ME scam and also with Vista. I can blow more money on drinks in 1 night, so I don't feel that bad.

Digitalx

alternative OS's are on the uprise as more choice and simplicity comes along, i hope to eventually have 3 computers with all 3 main OS's on them running before i'm 21 :)

Edited by Digix
Sophism

heh i converted about 8 people at work into getting macbook pro's

Titoist

why are mac fanpeople so proud that they got people converted? Its so hypocritical... they argue how anyone that is pro-Microsoft is like a corporate zombie but isnt that the same thing if u were pro-apple?

Im sorry but im gonna have to equate mac fanpeople to Jehova's Witnesses.

(p.s. If you are a Jehova's Witness, im sorry if I offended you, its just that there are these two guys that keep coming to the house once every week and try to tell their "story", its quite annoying)

NeoTrunks
why are mac fanpeople so proud that they got people converted? Its so hypocritical... they argue how anyone that is pro-Microsoft is like a corporate zombie but isnt that the same thing if u were pro-apple?

(p.s. If you are a Jehova's Witness, im sorry if I offended you, its just that there are these two guys that keep coming to the house once every week and try to tell their "story", its quite annoying)

In my experience, I see more Windows users bashing Apple users, as well as anything that Apple releases, more harshly than anything else. I actually received some flak from people when I switched two years ago. I could care less though. I am hardly a Microsoft basher either. Sometimes, I think I am one of the few people to point out good things about Vista in discussions.

Just to add, because I feel like it :), I've gotten flak for getting an iPhone as well.

fuBar.

humans are egocentric beings, tell that to 6 billion people.

other than that, macs are simple and straight forward. got mine last month. hopefully they don't change their philosophy.

sundayx

It's not a bad thing.

JorgeIvan

The problem with people is that they live thinking on what other people say, just research for yourself, experiment whatever you like and get the OS is perfect for you.

Redestium

As long as you get your work/play done and enjoy it what does it matter what OS you use? Red vs blue vs green.

Slimy
As long as you get your work/play done and enjoy it what does it matter what OS you use? Red vs blue vs green.

Green! Red and blue sucks. If you use red or blue, you suck. Green is the superior colour. In fact, it is so superior, I'm gonna go ask to be global moderator and then I'll change my sig and avatar to match it!

spenser.d

Um...good for you and the people you know? I dislike it when people act as if Macs are flawless when, for example, two of my professors this year who use Mac's for their lecture presentations have had their laptop completely freeze up for no reason, one of them multiple times on different days.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're generally great machines, but I also think they're way overrated.

On campus here at UW-Madison, a decent number of people have macs, but they pale in comparison to the amount with normal PC's (and probably even in comparison to those running Linux, if we include the CS Department).

I personally have never come across a good reason to buy a mac to replace my PC.

I agree with Slimy, also (about the color, not the promotion) :p

-Spenser