Miami vs New York

Did anyone on this board in the UK go to or watch this game? I didnt watch it here on tv, but by looking at the score and the stats it looks like you guys got one of the worse games of the day. Mostly due to the NFL for picking that game, they could have picked a much better game to showcase their product, but I dont think they wanted to put one of the more important games on the road like that.

I watched it on TV. It was indeed, a boring game. Can anybody in the UK describe the hype that went around the game, how it was received, etc.? I'm curious.

I watched it on TV. It was indeed, a boring game. Can anybody in the UK describe the hype that went around the game, how it was received, etc.? I'm curious.

There wasn't a lot of hype on our TV channels as far as I saw... I did notice a lot more people around London though wearing Dolphins/Giants shirts. There were also some Dolphins cheerleaders doing some promo event at Virgin on Oxford Street on Saturday, but that was fairly crap. The Assassins creed tech demo consoles up the road at HMV were 10x more exciting.

Edit: Just for any UKers out there who have no idea it took place (I wouldn't have if I didn't ask why there were 4 cheerleaders in Virgin) it was at Wembley...

Edited by troist

When people asked about the weekend game they were thinking Liverpool vs Arsenal. I don't think many people watched the American Football game.

There was no advertisements that I could see. The only reason I knew about it was because the BBC did a survey about who knew the game was even happening lol it didn't fair well in the games favour....

I was at the game, and you're right. It was dull.

When they chose the teams to play at Wembley, there was no doubt that this was an attractive proposition. Two global franchises, both with a strong chance of making the playoffs coming to play in the first game outside of North America. There was a lot to play for.

As Miami's abyssmal losing streak continued, the chances of that hotly contested game slowly started to slip. But I was still optimistic.

The conditions didn't help neither - if only they'd closed the damn roof, then maybe we would have seen a passing game.

New York came out and did what they needed to do. But it wasn't an attractive showcase for the sport, which was the whole principal of the visit.

I thought it got a fairly good showing. I watched some of it on Sky Sports, it was pretty dull considering I'd just watched Liverpool v Arsenal but it didn't look any better or worse than other NFL games I've seen. It was repeated on BBC the same evening too I think. Sold out to 90,000 really fast and the commentators and players seemed impressed by the atmosphere so I wouldn't say it was a complete flop.

I think what ruined the game the most was allowing the field to become soaked. Football games are at its best when the field isn't sludge. Forget all the "playing in the elements" crap. American Football may have began playing on weathered fields, but the game has changed so much that it's no longer the same game when you have the elements involved.

Edited by Mathachew

Having the Patriots play one of their blow-outs overseas would've been better. I suppose that the decision on the teams to play at Wembley was made before the season even started, though.

I don't think the Patriots offense would've been as explosive as they normally are given the condition of the field.

Exactly. The rain and wind really limited the passing offense of both teams.

Any other team in the league (including the Colts & Patriots) would have struggled in those conditions.

Nobody follows American Football over here. Well, only a small minority.

I knew the game was on and I watched a bit of the highlights, but for most people football/soccer is the big sport.

The game being boring had nothing to do with the teams that played. It had to do with the weather and the condition of the field. It was horrible. No one would have played a good game on that field.