Brazil will stage 2014 World Cup

_44207163_bidlogo203.jpg

Brazil has been named as the host nation for the 2014 football World Cup.

The South American country was the only one bidding to host the tournament which was due to be staged on the continent under Fifa's rotation system.

Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said: "Soccer is more than a sport for us, it's a national passion."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7068848.stm

Sounds good to me, I didn't actually realise the time difference between here and Brazil was so little until now. Should be interesting to see how teams cope in the heat... and who will even be in the national teams then considering it's 7 years away.

England need to vastly improve if we are to get there but its good they have chosen Brazil the good thing about Brazil is their stadiums are so big anyhow.

It's nice to know FIFA have sort of scraped the rotation policy. Because really, they want to go to countries with massive stadiums.

Brazil's would be nice. However, it might be a bit nightmarish as doesn't brazil have some bad criminals?

England might also get to host it in 2018. The only thing stopping is people at FIFA hating us. Lets face it. we've got some cracking stadiums that can cope with the games.

It's rather safe. I'd rather be in Brazil then South Africa... O_O.

Just last week the special operations unit of the Rio de Janeiro police had a firefight with drug smugglers in the mountains which ended up killing 20+ smugglers and a few officers were killed too. It was insane! There were 2 helicopters hovering over firing from their mounted machine guns.

Its crazy down there :|

Just last week the special operations unit of the Rio de Janeiro police had a firefight with drug smugglers in the mountains which ended up killing 20+ smugglers and a few officers were killed too. It was insane! There were 2 helicopters hovering over firing from their mounted machine guns.

Still...it could be worse, imagine if the 2014 World Cup was being held in Iraq!

Yea, but I don't think many football fans will be wondering off into the mountains or Rio's favelas. It gives the country a chance to clean up it's act too and It'll benefit economically too so I think it's a pretty good choice to be honest.

Yea, but I don't think many football fans will be wondering off into the mountains or Rio's favelas. It gives the country a chance to clean up it's act too and It'll benefit economically too so I think it's a pretty good choice to be honest.

Yeah I agree the amount of footballers that have become worldwide icons who were brazillian its good that they can now stage their own World Cup and show the world that they are still one of the best.