winxp pro windows update not working..

im getting really aggrevated with this already...this is the second machine that this has happened to me already...i go to scan for windows updates and it shows me that there are 7 updates to do...these updates include windows media player 9 and movie maker 2 (and i know i can just download them but i need my windows update to work for other updates as well) when i go to choose the updates i want to download it gives me the eula screen where you click on agree...the next screen that comes up that shows you your download bar and installation bar comes up...it says in the grey box "preparing to download" and thats it...it stops right there and downloads nothing...ive left the machine on for a while to see if it would eventually start but nothing happens...please tell me this is happening to others and there is some sort of fix for this... :(

Dialup or broadband?

Dialup was really hard on the windows update, i could never get them to install.. always timed out.

Broadband i've had no problems what so ever except that stupid "Administrators only" screen, but that you can fix.

not sure but i have a problem with win update too and its quite annoying :p

"Microsoft .NET Framework Service Pack 2, English Version" shows in my Critical Updates and Service Packs list, i install it, it says its successful. I restart, all seems well i go to windows update, its still in teh update needed list crap and the install log shows i have successfully installed it. I have done this numerous times, showing up in the list several times yet still shows as an update i need! AHH!!!!

im getting really aggrevated with this already...this is the second machine that this has happened to me already...i go to scan for windows updates and it shows me that there are 7 updates to do...these updates include windows media player 9 and movie maker 2 (and i know i can just download them but i need my windows update to work for other updates as well) when i go to choose the updates i want to download it gives me the eula screen where you click on agree...the next screen that comes up that shows you your download bar and installation bar comes up...it says in the grey box "preparing to download" and thats it...it stops right there and downloads nothing...ive left the machine on for a while to see if it would eventually start but nothing happens...please tell me this is happening to others and there is some sort of fix for this... :(

You using Windows XP+SP1?

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

um...turn off any and all firewalls?

how about.... going to Downloaded Program Files under the Windows directory and removing the components relating to Windows Update. Then go to Program Files and delete the WindowsUpdate folder (it could be hidden).

after you've done this, load Windows Update and let it download and reinstall the activex components.

i'm running out of ideas :(

I have seen this issue, on multiple machines. When I saw it - it was a MS problem. There was just one update I could not get. And gave the same symptoms you are seeing.

Try downloading only 1 of the updates - if it doesnt work on the first one you try, try another. It may be a problem with getting one of the updates. And this is hanging up the all of them.

A couple of days after I saw the problem - the update worked, on all of the machines that were having the problem. With nothing done to any of the machines.

damn i was really hoping one of those ideas would work...but alas...still the same problem...i tried downloading every one of the updates that were available seperately but it still didnt work...

is no one else having this problem?? i just got 2 new automatic updates just fine and after restarting decided to go see if i could download any updates manually and i still have the same problem..... anyone??????