Where does your fat go when you lose weight?

when you exercise and eat healthy, say you lose 4 pounds in 1 week, where does your fact go? does it come out in your sweat, your urine, your poo? it must leave your body somehow. lets say you exercised for 20hrs in 1 day and lost 2 pounds, if it say comes out in your poo then surely it would be like goo due to so much liquid?

i've been thinking about this for a few days, anyone know?

The body makes fat out of food because you're not using that energy you've consumed. By turning it into fat the body has a preserved store of energy it can call upon when it needs more energy. This is why bears eat a lot before hibernating :)

but none of those answers where does the fat actually go, physically your body has lost 2 pounds in 1 day, if you stood on some scales the weight must have gone somewhere, sure it must come out in either sweat, urine or poo??

/me phones up a professor from the christmas lectures :p

The biggest part will turn into energy again, the rest of it will be leaving your body with your urine. Yes, biologist, this is wrong, but at least the question is answered the way it was requested :p

but none of those answers where does the fat actually go, physically your body has lost 2 pounds in 1 day, if you stood on some scales the weight must have gone somewhere, sure it must come out in either sweat, urine or poo??

Your comparing energy to body fat. Lets say you eat a 100 calorie sandwich, just eating the sandwich alone costed energy. Breathing costs energy. Think of Fat as just a deposit of energy. When your jogging, if you use more energy than normal, that is when fat will start being used to give your body energy to continue jogging.

You can't just eat a pound of food and gain a pound. It doesn't work like that.

Fat is just chains of hydrogen and carbon. These chains get broken down to provide your body with heat and other energy - the waste products will then be broken down and reconstituted many more times before exiting the body via normal methods - urine, sweat etc

When you consume fewer calories than your body needs, your body turns to fat for energy. Body fat is broken down through a series of complex metabolic processes. Your body uses the energy produced by these processes. The waste products from these processes are water and carbon dioxide. You excrete water primarily through urine and sweat, and carbon dioxide by exhaling.

I believe fat cells don't get lost but shrink rather. the only way to "lose" fat cells is to do liposuction.

QFT.

You have a finite number of fat cells in your body. They either grow or shrink, but don't necessarily relplicate or deplete. When your body begins to sense things like starvation, or if you're taking in too much sugar, it is moved to your fat cells for storage. When you need to use that energy (running, metabolism, etc.), your body dips into said storage, and they shrink.

first, most weight lost will be water. as for the solid matter that you are calling fat. it's chemically burned in your body to supply nutrients for your cells. your cells use that material and then shoves it out into it's waste where through the miracle of your circlutory system comes out your ass or is sweated out.

P.S. fat cells are expandable containers for carbohydrates, such as sugar. your body doens't actually loose these container but they can loose their contents so that they shrink.

first, most weight lost will be water. as for the solid matter that you are calling fat. it's chemically burned in your body to supply nutrients for your cells. your cells use that material and then shoves it out into it's waste where through the miracle of your circlutory system comes out your ass or is sweated out.
Well put.
P.S. fat cells are expandable containers for carbohydrates, such as sugar. your body doens't actually loose these container but they can loose their contents so that they shrink.
I think you're mostly right, but don't fat cells store the energy as fat (a molecule type of the category of lipids) and not sugars?

QFT.

You have a finite number of fat cells in your body. They either grow or shrink, but don't necessarily relplicate or deplete. When your body begins to sense things like starvation, or if you're taking in too much sugar, it is moved to your fat cells for storage. When you need to use that energy (running, metabolism, etc.), your body dips into said storage, and they shrink.

Actually, if you put on a considerable amount of weight you do actually gain fat cells, but otherwise you are correct.

HowStuffWorks: Fat Cells

I was just curious, i put alot of weight on @ uni in my final year, ate 1-2 12" pizza's a day, couldnt be bothered making food and they taste so good, was 13st 2 when i finished uni, been eating healthily and cycling loads and playing tennis, now 11st 5, got around 7pounds ish left to lose i reckon till i am nice and slim again. was just curious how it was leaving my body.

• 5 months later...

When you lose weight, basically, the fat is broken down into 2 groups - liquids and carbon dioxide - the liquid leaves through urine and carbon dioxide leaves through exhaling, which is why it is sooooo important to drink lots of water AND exercise. Look it up at this addy: http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2006/12...&frame=true

or just google "where does the fat go when you lose weight", you'll find all sorts of good medical information.

Enjoy

isisT

I'd always thought of our bodies as miniature nuclear reactors - that burning the fat molecules releases energy in the same way that splitting an atom release energy.

It turns to sweat and drops off you like down your face.

I should know as I have been losing weight now for the past 15 weeks or so and I have lost nearly six stone.

It turns to sweat and drops off you like down your face.

I should know as I have been losing weight now for the past 15 weeks or so and I have lost nearly six stone.

How can that be true? I see extremely overweight people sweat all the time and they only get bigger and sweat more. :blink:

I believe fat cells don't get lost but shrink rather. the only way to "lose" fat cells is to do liposuction.

This is correct. Fat cells are like balloons. They shrink when you lose weight, but they don't go away.