Start Menu IE Icon

Can anyone assist in helping me to restore my IE icon in the start menu to the correct icon. See the attachment for what I mean.

All this happened after IE7 was uninstalled and I cannot get it back to what it should be for IE6, I cannot even reinstall IE6 as it says a newer version of IE is installed when it isn't.

Please can someone assist please, by the way this is for work and we cannot use IE7 as some of our systems don't work with IE7 so we have to use IE6 at the minute.

Thanks in advance.

post-78006-1194994484_thumb.jpg

Looks like your IE button in the quick link task is ok. I would just right click it, say "Remove from this list" and then right click the start bar, properties, start menu, customize, and click internet again and see if that works. If not, post back.

Does IE Work at first?

Go on run and enter in iexplore

And as you are at work, do you still have access to the Registry?

You will need it to fix the icon

Unholee, The quick lunch icon nor the file icon aren't directly related to IE.

Edit: Well, as I guess IE work, I will give you the fix right away.

Open notepad, paste that code, save it in somthing like fixieicon.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe,0"
"Backup"="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe,0"

No need to say that the IE path must be correct (that the default one, but we never know with enterprise PCs...)

Edited by Nienor

I was a lil tired and didn't see the full question. IE 7 was UNINSTALLED and IE6 can not be reinstalled because windows thinks IE7 is still there. When you uninstalled 7 and try going back into the internet, 6 SHOULD be reinstalled and set back up for you.

Try start - run - cmd - iexplore and see if 6 boots up and asks to be the default web browser. If not, and you downloaded the IE6 file you can do this...

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.

Setup cannot continue.

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:

1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Initial problem was that IE 7 had been installed and we cant use that at work, when it was uninstalled and IE 6 restored the icon in the start menu for IE was missing and could not be restored as shown in the picture above. IE worked but just the icon missing. The fix is as follows:

*** WARNING *** This fix involves editing the registry so be careful

open up REGEDIT

Browse to the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInter net\IEXPLORE.EXE\DefaultIcon

the value for default will be C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,-7

right click and select modify

change it to

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,-32528

close and reboot

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Easy Fix is to remove IE from start menu GOTO C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer Grab and drop the iexplore icon right on top of the start menu should fix the problem without going into the registry

Sorry if was late!!

• 1 month later...

I have solutions for those who have this problem " after uninstall IE7 and the IE6 icon corrupt in Start menu".

1. First step you need to do :

Copy and paste the code into notepad however save as fixicon.reg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\DefaultIcon]

2. now double click fixicon.reg and click ok.

3. Open my computer >tools> folder options> view> check "show hidden file" however click ok.

4. Open my computer > C: > Documents and settings > Username>Local setting > Applications Data > "Icon cache" right click and delete icon cache.

5. right click on taskbar > propertise> start menu -> customize -> show on start menu > uncheck "internet" however click apply ok.

and repeat the number 5 step and check the internet back however you will get back your IE6 icon in start menu.

• 2 years later...

Initial problem was that IE 7 had been installed and we cant use that at work, when it was uninstalled and IE 6 restored the icon in the start menu for IE was missing and could not be restored as shown in the picture above. IE worked but just the icon missing. The fix is as follows:

open up REGEDIT

Browse to the following

the value for default will be C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,-7

change it to

close and reboot

I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I'm wondering, can anyone shed some light on what this fix did? It did exactly what I needed to.

I believe it's selecting the correct resource for the Internet Explorer shortcut icon.

-7 probably is either invalid or is just that blank icon.

" DefaultIcon = path, resourceID"

So you changed the resourceID of which icon to use.

Since your iexplore.exe would be different between version 6 and 7, it would make sense that resourceID of the icon could be different. I would have to check a box that has IE6 installed, which would be far and few between these days.. Not sure why anyone would still be using ie6?? Guess I could fire up a clean install of xp on a virtual box to check.

open up REGEDIT

Browse to the following

change it to

close and reboot

Just wanted to chime in and say that I found this thread via a Google search for the corrupt/incorrect IE icon displayed in the Start menu for the default Internet browser after upgrading a new XP install from IE6 to IE8 and that this fixed the issue for IE8 as well.

Oh, and you don't have to reboot to see if it worked. Just select another browser as the default browser and then change it back to IE.

• 4 months later...

change it to

Still relevent in this future year of 2011! Thanks for the post. This should get kicked up to the top of Google searches. I've run into it many a time before and always ended up uninstalling and reinstalling IE. Thanks for saving me the trouble on this old SLOW AMD Sempron PC!

• 1 year later...

Does IE Work at first?

Go on run and enter in iexplore

And as you are at work, do you still have access to the Registry?

You will need it to fix the icon

Edit: Well, as I guess IE work, I will give you the fix right away.

Open notepad, paste that code, save it in somthing like fixieicon.reg

No need to say that the IE path must be correct (that the default one, but we never know with enterprise PCs...)

Thank you so much!!! I registered just to express my thanks and that I also wish this thread was at the TOP of every search on this issue. I had to filter through a lot of "fixes" and so-called "answers" from people on tom's hardware and Microsoft's own support forums on this subject until I stumbled across this thread. Microsoft should have a KB article on this, maybe they do... Thanks again!

Ben