Ghostbusters Game Coming

by Ellie Gibson

Vivendi Games has confirmed to Eurogamer that it is set to publish a new game based on hit eighties movie Ghostbusters.

As reported by Variety, all four of the movie's main cast members - Dan Akroyd, Ernie Hudson, Bill Murray and Harold Ramis - have agreed to allow their likenesses to appear in the game and will supply voice-overs. Other cast members getting involved include William Atherton (Walter Peck) and Annie Potts (Janine Melnitz). What no Moranis?

Ramis and Akroyd are writing the storyline for the game. It will be set in the early '90s following the events of Ghostbusters II, and will see our heroes tackling a new invasion of spooks in New York City.

Terminal Reality is developing the game for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. PS2, Wii and DS versions are being done by Red Fly Studios. Vivendi told Eurogamer there's no connection with the footage of a Ghostbusters game from developer Zootfly which popped up back in January.

Ghostbusters is slated for an autumn 2008 release and further instalments are set to follow.

Vivendi is keeping quiet on further details for now, but more news should emerge towards the end of a week. In a statement the publisher said, "Sierra Entertainment/Vivendi Games is very excited to share more information regarding the upcoming Ghostbusters videogame once our exclusive stories reach full distribution on Friday, November 16th.

"Ghostbusters is one of the most recognised entertainment brands in the world and we are developing games that will authentically capture its humour, chills and timeless appeal."

Source: EG

Looks like it was real after all eh :)

That old grid-based Ghostbusters game from the 80's was staple diet for many home gamers - let's hope this goes the same way :)

Ghostbusters has to be one of the most mismanaged franchises!

That old grid-based Ghostbusters game from the 80's was staple diet for many home gamers - let's hope this goes the same way :)

Ghostbusters has to be one of the most mismanaged franchises!

Ha, as soon as i looked at the title i thought of that game which i had on my Master System! Ghostbusters is awesome, hopefully this game will be good.

As long as it stays true to the film and they dont modernise the look, it HAS to have Ecto1 from the films and they MUST NOT redesign the proton packs or ill cry like a baby.

So a video posted some time ago saying it was the next Ghostbusters game was a fake? I hope so it looked to Gears of War'ish didnt have the old 80's Ghostbusters feeling just some dark game with zapping ghost.

@Doli

If I remember rightly the company in question didn't have any rights to produce a Ghostbusters game at all. They made a tech demo and hoped that a publisher (must have been Sierra/Vivendi as they have the rights now) would pick them up and fund/release the game.

Also get the remake (and many others) here.

You guys know that some dude recently remade the 80's game with decent visuals etc?

I has it ;)

Really?!? How big is it?

It was one of my favorite Sega Master System games.

If this is set after Ghostbusters 2, why would it have the Stay Puft marshmallow man sequence from the end of Ghostbusters 1?

Well I'm guessing a flashback or something. Mr. Stay Puft is an iconic character, so I believe everyone wants to fight him from day 1.