Barry Bonds Charged with Perjury, Obstruction of Justice...

Baseball superstar Barry Bonds was charged Thursday with perjury and obstruction of justice for allegedly lying when he said he did not use performance-enhancing drugs.

READ: Barry Bonds Indictment | SLIDESHOW: Barry Bonds Images

The indictment, unsealed Thursday by federal prosecutors in San Francisco, is the culmination of a four-year federal probe into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury investigating steroid use by elite athletes.

The indictment comes three months after the 43-year-old Bonds, one of the biggest names in professional sports, passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader, his sport's most hallowed record.

Bonds, who parted ways with the San Francisco Giants at the end of last season and has yet to sign with another team, also holds the game's single-season home run record of 73.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron amid the adulation of San Franciscans and the scorn of baseball fans almost everywhere else, due to his notoriously prickly personality and nagging steroid allegations, a grand jury quietly worked behind closed doors to put the finishing touches on the long-rumored indictment.

"I'm surprised," said John Burris, one of Bonds' attorneys, "but there's been an effort to get Barry for a long time. I'm curious what evidence they have now they didn't have before."

The indictment charges Bonds with lying when he said that he didn't knowingly take steroids given to him by his personal trainer Greg Anderson. He also denied taking steroids at anytime in 2001 when he was pursuing the single season home-run record.

"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment reads.

He is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.

"Greg wouldn't do that," Bonds testified in December 2003 when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. "He knows I'm against that stuff."

source

edit: crap, can a mod edit the caps please?

Good. Problem is he'll still hold the records that he never really earned.

True, but at least the controversy is likely to follow him into baseball history and the legitimacy of his records will never be definite. Cold comfort, but it's something.

Good. Problem is he'll still hold the records that he never really earned.

Not for long! :D

The Feds don't indict you unless they are sure.... he's gonna be stripped of all his records.

It's because I like Bonds as a player whether he did steroids or not. I really just did a report on Steroids and bonds performance between his first x seasons and his last x seasons. I'll have to pull it up and post it here. Anyways, I hate Bonds as a person, but a player I enjoy watching.

By who, the FBI? :rolleyes:

By the MLB? From what I heard on ESPN today, depending on the outcome of this situation, he might be put on the permanent ineligibility list for the Hall of Fame.