[Football] England not going to Euro Cup

Well England just lost 3-2 to Croatia. At least we're looking fairly strong at Rugby?

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=6765853

We failed at that as well to be honest :laugh:

Tonights game was poor on paper and well we only needed to draw and we can't achieve that so good luck to Russia (Y)

Personally i thought England derserved what they got and that was to not go to the Euros next year. England are a very average team in reality and so many people rate them far higher than they are. Croatia were just a far better team, not just tonight but in every sense.

I also never thought McClaren was the right man for the job and he made bad key desicions tonight which costed us dearly.

Forget about getting McClaren out, obviously he will go anyway, what i want to know what happens to the FA in all this? They are the people who appointed the guy!?! Get them all out and get people in that know what they are doing because they are a joke.

What frustrated me tonight, other than the diar performances, end result, and us getting knocked out, well ok what frustrated me the most tonight, was the incessant need to play stupid long balls everytime we got hold of it! Whenever crouch is on the pitch the tactics instantly go for long ball, which is ridiculous when he is double marked and then there are spare defenders round him. Whats he supposed to do with a 50 yard pass at head height?

It's stupid.

Just a quick word for that pass from Beckham, holy cow, absolute perfection. Why do they ever doubt him?

To be honest its the best thing that could have happened. England have been _awful_ under McClaren and had we qualified we'd have been knocked out of the group stages with some awful results. As things stand now, hopefully McClaren gets the sack, we get someone actually half decent in and stand a chance of doing something in WC 2010.

Was David James and/or Paul Robinson injured? If not... why did they have that new guy in goal? Even I could have saved that first shot :p.

Even though they didn't play great they still probably would have won if he wasn't in goal.

Was David James and/or Paul Robinson injured? If not... why did they have that new guy in goal? Even I could have saved that first shot :p.

Even though they didn't play great they still probably would have won if he wasn't in goal.

I think he just went with how he played against Austria but lets face it he had nothing to do in that friendly so it really wasn't proving a thing.

I'm gutted, but it's for the best.

This team needs competent management from the ground on up, a faster running game instead of the nervous long ball we are used to and a revamped drafting system.

Lord Nelson must be turning over in his grave and I can't wait for the McClaren press conference. :p

Some say blame the players, I say blame the manager. After all, it is his job to make sure they play with the right frame of mind and stick to tatics, if they don't buck up then side line them.

It was strange how we started with 1 up front. It just shows McClaren just wants to play the players he likes, instead of a complementary game with the system and players. He goes for something which none of us have worked out.

As for Shaun Wright going off, I was a bit shocked, he was prehaps one of the better first half players. Beckham only proved himself once with the cross for Crouch.

Why is big Sam on that list? I don't think he could do a job.

Thankfull recently this shows McClaren can not pick a team and a system to play. It just shows with the advantage he had of knowing the players and set up, that he can not make plans what so ever. So what Terry, Owen, Rio and Rooney are out. If you struggle to create a team without them, then you are very short sighted.

Hopefully tomorrow morning will mark the end of McClaren England job.

I'm happy the golden generation will be watching instead of playing this summer. :p

Now what can we expect.... after bombarding McClaren, Wenger will be next in line because of his "foreign" policy. ****, there is no foreign policy, Wenger just buys who he thinks can perform, and judging by England's performance who would ever want an Englishman in their team.

McClaren fired - but for now it's only by his PR guru Max Clifford

England's beleaguered coach Steve McClaren was yesterday sacked by his own spin doctor Max Clifford in the latest fall-out from the horrendous midweek defeat in Croatia.

PR guru Clifford believes he can no longer act for McClaren because he's been denied the close contact he enjoys with other high-profile clients that allows him to do his job properly.

The rest of the story here!

Pressured into playing an inexperienced keeper by the media. Didn't have the 'colhoes' to ring the changes during the 1st half when the over defensive 4-5-1 formation wasn't working out and to top it all off Barry was substituted, and McClaren managed to keep the myth going that Beckham deserves to be in the team.

Anybody else wondering how Lampard managed to get man of the match? Crouch was Englands best player and he wasn't the best player on the pitch!!

Time to ring the changes i'm afraid, it is a shame as McClaren has done a few things right: Barry, Wright-Phillips, Richards and Ashley Young. The bottom line is he was never meant to be manager and Felipao (Scolari) was hounded out of the job by our press before even accepting the job. The UK press should take part of the blame for this failure, they hype the expectations up to astronomical levels and always lay the blame at the feet of the manager when it would seem that a large portion of the blame should be aimed at the players.

We need a clean slate, that means the FA needs to be 'refreshed' no more jobs for the boys, no more excuses, no more blame games. We need an English centre for football excellence and we need to tend to the grass roots of our football otherwise we'll lose our place at footballs top table.

Players are paid too much. The spirit of the three lions is missing,there should be so much pride in playing for your country, Skill levels are low and players are treated as stars.....

Things have gone through their head and we needs a regime change. We need a good old fashioned english coach who wouldn't be scared of giving a kick in peoples butt if they do not perform.

Steve McClaren has been sacked as England coach following his side's failure to qualify for Euro 2008.

Assistant coach Terry Venables has also lost his job in what the Football Association said was a unanimous decision by its board.

The FA brought a swift end to McClaren's 18-month reign as England's head coach at an emergency meeting.

McClaren's position had become untenable after the 3-2 defeat to Croatia on Wednesday.

FA chairman Geoff Thompson said: "Like every England fan, we are all bitterly disappointed that we have failed to qualify for Euro 2008, and I know Steve feels that disappointment more than anyone.

"Of course we have no divine right to play in major tournaments, but it is quite right that qualification is expected.

"I would like to thank Steve for the work he has done since taking on the position last summer. His commitment to the job could not be questioned and I wish him the best for the future.

"The recruitment process for the new coach begins now and we will do everything to get the right man for the job."

The FA has plenty of time to search for a replacement with the next scheduled fixture a friendly in France at the end of March.

McClaren, 46, who had a four-year deal, is expected to be paid more than ?2m in compensation and ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is the bookies favourite to succeed him.

Former Middlesbrough boss McClaren admitted before the Croatia match that he would "take responsibility" if England failed to reach the European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland.

The FA took action to dismiss McClaren ahead of the 2010 World Cup qualifying draw in Durban, South Africa, on Sunday.

England's failure to reach a major tournament for the first time since the 1994 World Cup finals will cost the FA at least ?8m in lost revenues.

Thompson promised the FA will conduct a "root and branch" review of the England team set-up, to be led by chief executive Brian Barwick and which will begin with immediate effect.

Source

Good Riddance i say. At least they will have a few years to sort the team out.

I'm wondering why he played an inexperienced goalkeeper in such a crucial match?

If you've never played for England and suddenly you're picked for a crucial match of course you will make mistakes.

I'm glad we didn't qualify as we didn't deserve to.

I am glad England never qualified, simply so we could get rid of that oaf Steve McClaren and so we can take a long hard look at our national side.

Any manager that picks Kieron Dyer and Wes Brown to play at right back instead of Jamie Carragher does not deserve to manage a lower league team, never mind a country!!