Sony Vaio VGN-NR110E/S, opinions?

I REALLY need opinions on this laptop. As you might already know, it's $399 at BestBuy on Black Friday. I'm a bit concerned about the 1.46ghz Pentium Dual Core. I know this isn't an Intel Core so I'm afraid maybe it's just a slow old Pentium architecture processor. While it is a dual-core, and does have 1MB of L2 (although the Cores have 2MB), I don't want crappy performance. I'd be using the laptop for just lightweight stuff; programming, surfing, word processing, and maybe some occasional gaming like Civilization or Age of Empires which isn't graphics-intense. What do you guys think? Here's a link to it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...0#productdetail

I mean it's one heck of a discount over the retail price. I might just pick it up, but need some encouraging opinion! What do you guys think? Anyone have this laptop? Also, any idea about battery life?

Oh and also, how would this compare to my desktop Pentium 4 530? It's a 3.06ghz Prescott.

Thanks a lot guys =)

click on customer reviews my friend lol

ohh where do you live, you better not buy mine haha

seriously though, i miiiiiiiiiight get one

pros

vista home premium

price

dual core

can add another gig of mem

comments say it has good battery life

directx 10 (yay)

cons

i think its a relatively old processor, not sure though (edit, this might be a new chip, i remember reading that intel was making a new chip that is sub-core 2 duo. i think this might be it; still not sure though. i would look it up now but im in the middle of writing a paper)

i also have a 3ghz prescott and i think it might eat this 1.46ghz alive despite the fact that it is dual core (just a hunch)

only 2 gig limit

5400 rpm hdd (but this is fairly standard for laptops because it improves battery life)

for the uses you mentioned, it should work just fine except for programming maybe. I think that might be a bit slow if you're a hardcore programmer. but i would say go for it. i have never seen a sony laptop for this price. i might just beg my dad to get me an alienware, then "settle for this one" if you know what i mean. lol

I'd consider it borderline adequate for most of your needs though I wouldn't expect much from its gaming abilities, even for something like Age of Empires. No matter how the rest of the machine looks I'd say that would be a fairly underwhelming processor. You'd defiantly want to add some more memory if you plan on using Vista with it, especially since the video accelerator uses your system memory.

That's my take.

Well thanks for the opinions, I'm just dead worried about the procc. I also just checked out the dimensions and it's thicker and heavier than my 6 year old Latitude. I thought it looked slimmer and what not, but maybe it was just an impression :/

i did i went to bestbuy at 10:00pm on thursday and camped really windy

should i sell the laptop or keep?

is it a good prosscer?

i got 4 so eveybody in my family has one but dad said all profits go to me if i sell

need help

well i think they are listed at around $700 but smart people can recognize that they can get the newer models for about $850-900.

i would try to sell them for $600 or "$599." can you sell all 4? if you can then you could sell them for like $550 each. i miiiiiiiiiight keep one but if you already have a better computer, you should sell them all.

well i think they are listed at around $700 but smart people can recognize that they can get the newer models for about $850-900.

i would try to sell them for $600 or "$599." can you sell all 4? if you can then you could sell them for like $550 each. i miiiiiiiiiight keep one but if you already have a better computer, you should sell them all.

I bought 2 of these laptops. They are great but 1 gig of ram just isn't going to cut it. I upgraded to 2 gigs and the machine is now very impressive.

The memory is hard to find since it is a specially made laptop for black friday.

I just went on ebay and typed VGN-NR110E/S memory upgrade and found someone selling 2 gigs for $99.

Didn't get it, I was going to camp out on Thursday but then figured it wasn't worth it. I ended up getting an iPod Touch instead :p Great to hear that the people who got it liked it, though.