Rock Band Guitar not compatible with Guitar Hero III ?!

I bought both Rock Band and Guitar Hero III so that I would have a full set of 'instruments' to play both Rock Band and Guitar Hero III with friends. I was really really ****ed off when I saw that the Rock Band guitar didn't work with GH3.

Does anyone know if there will be an update to GH3 to fix this issue? I'm sure a simple title update will fix the problem, I just hope this isn't being done on purpose. :angry:

But that's irrelevant. The GH3 controller works with Rock Band. Why shouldn't it be the same way around? Also, it's not like there is bad blood between them, on the GH3 website there is plug promoting Rock Band. Plus,it is essentially just a modified controller, but there is something technical blocking the RB controller on GH3.

The more buttons is also irrelevant, because those extra buttons are completely unnecessary.

It seems more of a technical issue, and I really hope there is an update to fix this.

But maybe they changed something in Hard ware to not work with Guiter Hero, like If Game = GH3 do not work... Who knows, it is a shame, but it looks like they want people to buy both Rock band and GH3 with Hardware, more money for the companies...

There really is no technical reason why the Rock band guitar couldn't work on GHIII. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fixed in an update, seems strange not to be.

What about GHII, have you tried it with that?

You should not have to buy two different guitar controllers for different games... it's just stupid... you don't have to buy a special controller for every other game you buy.

Ermm, no. The problem is with Guitar Hero, not Rock Band.

Well does the Rock Band controller work with every other game?

The GH3 guitar works in menus and Boom Boom Rocket and pretty much every single game on the Xbox 360. It's just a regular wireless controller in the shape of a guitar. If anything, it's the Strat's fault. Check to see if the Strat works with every other game on your box.

EDIT:

Rock Band's fault. You can stop hating on GH3 now, Magik. :rolleyes:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26086

Edited by Trong

Well does the Rock Band controller work with every other game?

The GH3 guitar works in menus and Boom Boom Rocket and pretty much every single game on the Xbox 360. It's just a regular wireless controller in the shape of a guitar. If anything, it's the Strat's fault. Check to see if the Strat works with every other game on your box.

EDIT:

Rock Band's fault. You can stop hating on GH3 now, Magik. :rolleyes:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26086

:rolleyes:

Trong. Relax yourself. I'm not partial to either game. Both games are just as good (in their own way), but that doesn't mean it's not GH3's "fault" as it partially is. Showing a table of what's compatible and what is not doesn't prove anything (a similar table has been available on Wikipedia for some time now anyway), plus I have already established that the RB guitar doesn't work on GH3; hence the point of this thread.

GH3 detects the controller but doesn't allow you to play with it. It's a simple update to fix such an issue, but currently there is no indication of an update coming, and it doesn't look like there will be one. But I'm still hoping.

Whatever the case may be, the blame falls on both Hamonix and Neversoft. More so on Neversoft because a software update is a lot more practical than a hardware update.

Ermm, no. The problem is with Guitar Hero, not Rock Band.

Shows exactly how much you know....There is nothing wrong with Guitar Hero. Rock Band is yet another piece of software plagued by the fact that it is made by the shittiest company out there called Electronic Arts. That's the problem! Every game EA released in the last 2 years has turned to ****. It is either plagued by bugs or unstable as hell or just plane crappy!

Shows exactly how much you know....There is nothing wrong with Guitar Hero. Rock Band is yet another piece of software plagued by the fact that it is made by the shittiest company out there called Electronic Arts. That's the problem! Every game EA released in the last 2 years has turned to ****. It is either plagued by bugs or unstable as hell or just plane crappy!

Actually, it shows how much you know, or don't know, rather. EA didn't make this game. Harmonix did, EA is just the distributer. And guess who Harmonix is? That's right, the lovely fellows that brought you Guitar Hero I and II.

Click. Read. Keep quiet. :)

My post wasn't to indicate that the Strat couldn't work with GH3 but that both of the GH guitars work with Rock Band but the Rock Band guitar does not work with either GH2 or GH3. The GH3 controllers, when used in other games, work just as a regular controller would with no problems other than the fact that the guitar is missing the bumpers and triggers. The green button = A, red = B, so on.

Also, when looking at the chart, the Rock Band guitar for all consoles does not work with any of the GH games.

Trong, what I mean is that it should be simpler than all this. We shouldn't need a compatibility chart to begin with.

Harmonix doesn't have a problem enabling support for another game's hardware. Why doesn't Neversoft do likewise? I'm fine with it not working right off the bat, that's fine, they haven't seen the controller before. But there has been no indication AFAIK, that Neversoft is working on a patch. That's why I'm annoyed.

I'm hoping it changes though.

Actually, it shows how much you know, or don't know, rather. EA didn't make this game. Harmonix did, EA is just the distributer. And guess who Harmonix is? That's right, the lovely fellows that brought you Guitar Hero I and II.

Click. Read. Keep quiet. :)

It doesn't matter, the game passed through EA's hands so naturally it is stained.

obsolete_power you don't know what you're talking about and apparently don't know the meaning of the term "distributor". If you want to flame EA, go and do it on the official EA forums or something.

Trong, what I mean is that it should be simpler than all this. We shouldn't need a compatibility chart to begin with.

Harmonix doesn't have a problem enabling support for another game's hardware. Why doesn't Neversoft do likewise? I'm fine with it not working right off the bat, that's fine, they haven't seen the controller before. But there has been no indication AFAIK, that Neversoft is working on a patch. That's why I'm annoyed.

I'm hoping it changes though.

But what I'm saying is that the RB guitar doesn't even work with GH2, Harmonix's own game. BTW, this is across all platforms on all GH games. If Harmonix's own game doesn't work with their own guitar, it's the hardware that had problems, not the software(GH2/GH3).

@Kaiman, you have it backwards. It's possible to use a GH guitar with Rock Band as of now.

I bought both Rock Band and Guitar Hero III so that I would have a full set of 'instruments' to play both Rock Band and Guitar Hero III with friends. I was really really ****ed off when I saw that the Rock Band guitar didn't work with GH3.

Does anyone know if there will be an update to GH3 to fix this issue? I'm sure a simple title update will fix the problem, I just hope this isn't being done on purpose. :angry:

Rock Band guitars were supposed to work with all the Guitar Hero games, but not vice versa (different guitar setup). However, at the moment they don't. Harmonix/Activision/Red Octane is looking into a fix at the moment. However, you would never be able to use a GH guitar with Rock Band, since I'm nearly positive it's missing a few buttons. In any case, look for an update soon.

kaiman: Do you have a source about that fix? I really hope that's true.

As for the extra buttons, they are unnecessary, as it's just for solos and the only difference is that you don't need to strum. A regular guitar works just fine.

• 1 year later...

The guitar incompatibility HAS to be on purpose. It's not the button addresses or a glitch. This is by design.

The first and second buttons on both guitars act as the X and O button on a regular controller, even within the guitar hero game when selecting options. Once you start strumming, the buttons don't work anymore. They obviously had to put some engineering time into this to make them incompatible. The software has to know that you are not using a guitar hero guitar and then disables the buttons.