Japan: PS3 Outsells Wii in November

According to figures from publisher Enterbrain, Sony shifted 183,217 PS3s during the four weeks ended November 25, in comparison to 159,193 Wiis, reports Reuters. It is the first time the PS3 has triumphed over its rival in Japan over a monthly period since the systems launched last year.

Having dominated the gaming hardware market during the previous generation, Sony has struggled to establish its next-gen console amidst fierce competition from Microsoft’s Xbox 360 (in the US and Europe), which launched a year prior to the PS3, and Nintendo’s family-friendly Wii, both of which have built up far larger user bases.

A lack of AAA software and a high price point have often been cited as reasons for slower-than-expected consumer uptake of the PS3, although a growing software library and recent price cut, as well as the introduction of an entry-level 40GB unit, have clearly aided sales.

While the news that Sony trumped its rivals during November in Japan will be welcomed by the Japanese platform holder, KBC Securities analyst Hiroshi Kamide questioned whether the PS3 sales momentum could be sustained.

"It's nice to see the system selling much better than six months ago. But is it a sustainable trend? Is it going to really escalate from here? I'm not so sure."

Source: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...66&Itemid=2

Good to see the PS3 fighting back for it's Home turf. Sadly Japan will all be about Wii vs PS3, unlike the rest of the world the 360 is unlikely to feature unless MS hit home with a string of JRPGs.

Is this sustainable? Not yet IMO (N) .. right now it's kind of like the PSP Lite vs DS situation. A new SKU at a cheaper cost = fluctuation in buyers, but it will tailor off as the games are the main seller.

December will be interesting, but I see the PS3 losing to the Wii on a monthly basis till more Japanese orientated games such as MGS/GT/FF/White Knight Story come out. I see Home being VERY popular in Japan as well (Y)

I don't understand why it's such a huge deal whenever ps3 outsells anything for just about any amount of time... I don't see Nintendo boasting almost triple ps3 sales =P.

I don't understand why it's such a huge deal whenever ps3 outsells anything for just about any amount of time... I don't see Nintendo boasting almost triple ps3 sales =P.

It's a worthwhile thing to mention as the PS's home turf is Japan, and this is the first MONTH its outsold the Wii in ages.

Japan is a battle of PS3 vs Wii.

It's a worthwhile thing to mention as the PS's home turf is Japan, and this is the first MONTH its outsold the Wii in ages.

Japan is a battle of PS3 vs Wii.

Humm... I dunno I just go by whatever you enjoy more buy and play. I should stay away from these threads I guess =P. Excuse my ignorance

Humm... I dunno I just go by whatever you enjoy more buy and play. I should stay away from these threads I guess =P. Excuse my ignorance

(Y)

I was just pointing out why there is as much chit-chat surrounding the PS3 and the Wii in Japan :)