[Official] Fall '07 Dashboard Update

How are you guys getting it to work? I'm not having any success and all I want to play are the avi files on my computer!

Help us help you, what are you having trouble with, exactly?

Since I have not seen anyone mention it, are me and my coworker and my boy are the only ones who had major issues with this update and COD4??? It froze the dashboard every-time you tried to access it from the game for at least 10 seconds, and we maybe successfully joined a server 1 out of every 5 times for awhile. It then went away, and then came back just as bad about an hour later.

Perhaps Live was getting slammed, but this is why I have always not been a fan of one integrated service instead of providing dedicated servers. Meh.

Not sure if MS or Infinity Ward now has some work to do, but for not playing COD4 for 3 weeks thanks to my wedding/honeymoon, it was a miserable experience finding games to say the very least.

Since I have not seen anyone mention it, are me and my coworker and my boy are the only ones who had major issues with this update and COD4??? It froze the dashboard every-time you tried to access it from the game for at least 10 seconds, and we maybe successfully joined a server 1 out of every 5 times for awhile. It then went away, and then came back just as bad about an hour later.

Perhaps Live was getting slammed, but this is why I have always not been a fan of one integrated service instead of providing dedicated servers. Meh.

Not sure if MS or Infinity Ward now has some work to do, but for not playing COD4 for 3 weeks thanks to my wedding/honeymoon, it was a miserable experience finding games to say the very least.

That sucks. I wish I would've got on some COD4 last night so I could say whether or not it's just you, but for some reason I didn't. I'll try it tonight and see if I can recreate what you're experiencing.

I had major issues with COD4 also, I think partly due to Live, Major Nelson said they are fixing performance issues.

I gave up, and played single player. got 1 game out in 45 mins of trying. Hopefully its better soon.

I was having sign in issues with Live few days back. It was on and off. I changed DNS servers on 360 and pointed them to OpenDNS (FIOS/verizon servers are a bit crazy sometimes). It is working like a charm. Between that and the new update, my Live is super speedy now. Although I haven't played online since then.

If you can, try changing DNS servers on your home router, I can't do that since it messes up my work vpn.

I was having sign in issues with Live few days back. It was on and off. I changed DNS servers on 360 and pointed them to OpenDNS (FIOS/verizon servers are a bit crazy sometimes). It is working like a charm. Between that and the new update, my Live is super speedy now. Although I haven't played online since then.

If you can, try changing DNS servers on your home router, I can't do that since it messes up my work vpn.

How do you point to Open DNS? Never heard of this before and I have messed with plenty of things on my router (I also have FIOS) and I opened up ports on the router for Live and it has worked fine for me. So how do I change the DNS?

Just want to say that my Live worked fine before the update, and I did do a Network Test in the 360 last night, and it reported my NAT as being Open. But I am willing to try whatever and like learning about this stuff anyway.

OpenDNS has instructions on their site for it: http://www.opendns.com/

Generally it's just a case of manually selecting their IP's for your DNS servers (which can be done in your router or on your PC/360).

Thanks Kushan. Will give it a shot later on tonight when I get home.

And I am imagining it will just be best to do my router right? Doesn't the 360 Obtain the DNS from the Router itself?

And I am imagining it will just be best to do my router right? Doesn't the 360 Obtain the DNS from the Router itself?

Yeah, set it up in your router.

Maybe getting off topic, but what does OpenDNS do? I had a look at the site and was just gonna set it up on my router when I get home just to see what it does. I'm sure I can figure it out once I get going with it, I'm not stupid. But I thought I'd see if someone could better explain it for me. Thanks.

Maybe getting off topic, but what does OpenDNS do? I had a look at the site and was just gonna set it up on my router when I get home just to see what it does. I'm sure I can figure it out once I get going with it, I'm not stupid. But I thought I'd see if someone could better explain it for me. Thanks.
The Domain Name system (DNS) associates various sorts of information with so-called domain names; most importantly, it serves as the "phone book" for the Internet by translating human-readable computer hostnames, e.g. en.wikipedia.org, into the IP addresses, e.g. 66.230.200.100, that networking equipment needs to deliver information. It also stores other information such as the list of mail exchange servers that accept email for a given domain. In providing a worldwide keyword-based redirection service, the Domain Name System is an essential component of contemporary Internet use.

To make it simple...

you enter a website name like www.google.com

your dns tells you the ip address of www.google.com

your computer connects to the ip address and loads the website

Faster DNS = faster access.

Yes, setting up your router is the best thing to do. All of your PCs and other things don't need to do anything special after that. For me, it was not an option since my work VPN doesn't work well with it. :pinch:

• 2 weeks later...

Can also try Handbrake, that's what I use instead of AutoGK now.

Handbrake

Ever since this latest update my XBox has been randomly freezing. :(

Well not randomly... Religiously about every 10-15 minutes!