[MMA] Rampage

Quinton ?Rampage? Jackson and Forrest Griffin will officially coach the seventh season of ?The Ultimate Fighter? reality show and will face off sometime in 2008 with the UFC?s light heavyweight championship title on the line, according to UFC president Dana White.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported that Jackson and Griffin would be named the coaches for the series (see: ?Rampage and Griffin Are TUF 7 Coaches??), however official confirmation wasn?t in place until formal announcements were made by Dana White over the weekend.

White announced Griffin as a coach during Saturday?s Ultimate Fighter finale, but made the official announcement of Jackson as the second coach ? and the critical confirmation that the two would be facing each other in 2008 for the 205-pound title ? during the broadcast of Spike TV?s ?2007 Video Game Awards? on Sunday night.

Griffin?s status as #1 contender for the 205-pound title was apparently secured with his recent victory over the fighter who had last defeated Jackson. After dropping two of three fights (to Tito Ortiz and Keith Jardine), Griffin rebounded with a unanimous decision victory over Hector Ramirez at UFC 72 and a shocking upset of PRIDE standout Mauricio ?Shogun? Rua in September at UFC 76. Rua had handed Jackson his most recent loss, at PRIDE Total Elimination in April 2005.

?The Ultimate Fighter 7,? the seventh installment of the UFC?s popular reality series that debuted in January 2005, begins taping in January. The season debut is set for April and should conclude in July. With the added delay of the reality series, it will be a minimum of 10 months between title defenses for Jackson, who hasn?t fought since defending his title against Dan Henderson in September 2007 at UFC 75.

Griffin vs Rampage would be an awesome fight.

I can honestly see Forrest Griffin giving Rampage a decent challenge in the Octagon. However, I get the feeling that he isn't quite mentally ready for a title fight. Kinda like how GSP was the 1st time he met Matt Hughes. I dunno if it was just the modesty, but even after the Shogun victory, he seemed kind of shocked that he managed it himself. Albiet Shogun was simply awful in that fight.

I'd like to see him in a "revenge" bout against Keith Jardine just to put that devestating KO to rest. Then he will be ready.