which LCD TV to get?

Here's the deal:

I've got an ok starting job and i've saved enough to get myself a big-a$$ TV (by which i mean: not so small).

My budget isn't great but i can buy something decent in the 32 inch range.

I'm gonna go for lcd because i've heard that plasma pays off better in the high-end range. since i'm not going anywhere near that i'll stick to lcd.

I've heard that at 32'' it doesn't make sense to go 1080 so i'm settling for 720p.

I'll be using it mostly to watch tv (over cable), dvd's, the very odd vhs and soon enough for a console (seriously thinking of getting a wii). I will also occasionally hook it up to my laptop and watch movies from there or use it as a comp. screen.

I want to buy this from a store and not over the internet, so i found that the store i prefer carries two tv's i like:

1.- LCD de 32". Sony Bravia KDL-32M3000 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-32M3000-720p-HDTV/dp/B000UN3GXA)

2.- LCD de 37". Philips 37PFL5332D. (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-37PFL5332D-37-LCD-HDTV/dp/B000NV6GTA)

I know Bravia's are nice.... but i wouldn't mind jumping to 37" :)

unless they are both horrible, i want to stick to one of those two. If that is not reccomended at all, then please suggest something in the same price range.

One more thing... this should last me some 3+ years... i'm fresh out of college so i'm not looking at replacing this soon.

To be honest, if you are just watching TV over a cable, (I'm guessing coaxial?) and playing standard DVD's, you are wasting your money. Also, a Wii only supports up to 480i if I am not mistaken.

thanks for the honest assessment but the thing is, I need a new TV anyway so i might as well get something that future-proofs me for the next 3 years or so.

I might end up getting a ps3 a year down the line, or at least a blu-ray player when they become more accessible (and when the format war is over). I know i wont be squeezing the HD out of it for a while (other than watching movies from my comp... which as a student i do quite a bit), but i can't see a good reason to go to a store and get the same ol' crt tv when it looks like i'll be getting more HD stuff soon enough.

My pleasure. Come to think of it, I did the same thing last year. I purchased a LCD TV without HD service and later upgraded. And you are right, it will future proof you for a few years.

BTW, those TV's are really nice, especially the Sony.