Windows Defender blocks explorer.exe

Question

Windows Defender blocks "Windows Updater" (explorer.exe) every time my system starts up. I don't ever bother to open it as I don't know if its legit because it's not "signed" but its under the Microsoft category. Did some searching on Google but no help. My AV doesn't detect anything suspicious with the file either. Any help appreciated.

post-62452-1197554169_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

explorer.exe is in C:\Windows directory. That file looks suspicious.

Edit: Should also add, I'm guessing it's only under the Microsoft tab because of the filename. All windows executables and files are digitally signed. If they're not, then they've either been tampered with or they're not part of windows.

Edited by chAos972

explorer.exe is in C:\Windows directory. That file looks suspicious.

I've found it where it came from. I've done a series of tests of when I last installed what application. That file was installed around the same time when I installed LimeWire Pro 4.14.12. I unistalled Limewire and deleted the "Updater" folder and reinstalled LimeWire and the "updater" folder was back in System32 folder. Not sure if this is to notify of newer LimeWire updates or not, but I don't know why it would be Microsoft related...

chAos972 is right - that looks very suspect. I've not got that directory on a clean windows install, so despite what Defender says, it's not Microsoft's file. In fact the screenshot actually says "Ships with OS: No".

Get rid, I say.