FA approve Capello appointment

The FA board have approved the impending appointment of Fabio Capello as England boss with only the signing of the contracts remaining.

"Discussions have continued throughout the day between The FA and Fabio Capello's advisors," FA Director of Communications Adrian Bevington said. "The FA Board has also today approved Capello's appointment as England Manager subject to the successful conclusion of these contract negotiations. These will continue tomorrow.

"I want to stress that there are no problems and that we are going through the necessary process to reach a successful conclusion.

"Understandably, at this time, we are unable to confirm any media activity that may take place. We will provide an update tomorrow."

Capello, 61, flew in and out of London for talks yesterday and has expressed his keen interest in the job through his son and lawyer, Pierfilippo.

The FA have been locked in talks throughout the day with Chief Executive Brian Barwick arguing the case for Capello's appointment, which merely required rubber-stamping by the committee.

Capello is still yet to sign a contract, and there is no indication as to whether his requested backroom team has been approved. The Italian is unlikely to sign before the weekend, having returned to Italy to fulfil prior commitments, including a commentary role for Italian TV.

I'm not sold on this bloke his experience is important but I feel maybe its not the right man.

i feel the opposite. he's the first candidate to actually show a willing for the job, which can't be bad. his cv and previous achievements are great... so not much more to say.

i think england could do great under this guy.

i feel the opposite. he's the first candidate to actually show a willing for the job, which can't be bad. his cv and previous achievements are great... so not much more to say.

i think england could do great under this guy.

As they say time will tell, his first match ain't for a while yet I don't think.

Well, 1 fact remains. Again, the FA have had to settle for 2nd choice (I was gonna say 2nd best, but "Steve McClaren" and "best" just wasn't a right statement to make!)

Anyway, Capello was very quick to state England won't be playing "sexy" football. I just hope it isn't a run of grinding out victories. It's about time we had some fun watching England play!

What will become of Beckham is quite interesting. He and Capello didn't have the most smoothest of relations at Real Madrid.

Reading boss Steve Coppell and former England captain Tony Adams are not entirely happy the England job has gone to a foreigner.

"I'm sad to be honest," said Coppell. "I'm a proud English manager and I would have loved an Englishman to have been in charge."

Adams, who, as part of his coaching education has been to Italy to watch Capello in action, added: "There's a lot of good Englishmen and I just think it was only right we should have tried to get someone English."

"There's a lot of good Englishman and I just think it was only right we should have tried to get someone English" - Tony Adams

However, Coppell admitted Capello's coaching credentials are outstanding.

"You look at the CV and, I must admit, it's enticing," he said. "He's everything you'd want an English manager to be."

The English manager bandwagon has taken off and crashed dreadfully. The English managers simply aren't good enough! The last English manager I can remember to have even come close to winning something was Steve McClaren getting thumped 4-0 in the UEFA Cup Final, and before that Alan Pardew taking West Ham to the brink of FA Cup glory. Nevertheless, it all went downhill from there for the both of them. The strongest English candidate was probably Harry Redknapp, but why be all patriotic. There are better managers out there, and the FA have got one of the strongest, maybe not the most exciting, but at least there is promise this time round!

I think Tony Adams should of been in with a shout. At the end of the season he is always wanting to manage, it's the fact Pompey are pushing so high up the table that he has stayed.

How do you think Avram Grant got to grips with english footy? First he was a coach/techincal director at pompey then went to chelsea. So you can equally say Tony Adams has a shout at the job. Him being assistant would be very nice. His skills could England maintain a good defence.

Fabio Capello has been confirmed as the new England manager after the details of his contract were finalised with the Football Association.

The Italian signed a four-and-a-half year deal - reportedly worth ?6m a year, with an opt out after 2010.

Capello, 61, will be unveiled at a news conference at 1300 GMT on Monday before taking up the role on 7 January.

His backroom staff is all-Italian but he is to consider how to integrate an English presence into the set-up.

England Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce was among those seen arriving at the FA's headquarters in Soho Square, London, on Friday.

Alan Shearer, Tony Adams and David Platt have also been linked with a role in Capello's team.

The Italian's trusted aide Franco Baldini, his sporting director at Roma and Real Madrid, is included in the backroom staff along with veteran assistant coach Italo Galbiati, goalkeeping coach Franco Tancredi, and fitness coach Massimo Neri.