PS3 DivX Update Coming 'Very Soon'

We met with DivX earlier today to discuss their upcoming plans, and one of the topics that came up was support for the PS3 console. According to the company, they expect the previously announced firmware update to hit the PS3 soon, which will enable full DivX support for the console. Though no specific time frame was given for this upgrade, their particular emphasis on saying it was coming soon leads us to believe it's "coming in a week or two" soon, as opposed to "4 months down the road" soon.

As far as upgrade details go, the PS3 is DivX-certified, meaning not only is playback guaranteed to function properly, but game developers can also use the compression format for in-game cutscenes In comparison, the Xbox 360 merely supports playback of DivX-encoded videos [DivX]

Source: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ps3-meets-divx/...soon-333742.php

What do games use just now?

If DivX is better for games, then (Y) from me

Why would games use divx anyway, it's not really a very good format anymore, it's not best for neither size nor quality, especially if you use high res movies.

besides if games want to support DivX, I'm pretty damn sure the game devs can include the codec in the game code anyway.

I do't realy see what they want to accomplish with that comment anyway.

http://www.divx.com/certification/

It's just saying its officially certified by DivX.

besides if games want to support DivX, I'm pretty damn sure the game devs can include the codec in the game code anyway.

If it was as easy as that would it not of been done already? Or does anyone else know enough about to games to explain why w/e format they currently use is better suited for them?

Home is going to support divx videos, so it probably needs to be certified to work? :unsure:

Wouldn't in-game video be uncompressed? Kinda silly imo to encode a video to DivX to save space when they have Blu-Ray discs with all that room on 'em. But yea if videos are compressed then there are much, much better options out there to encode with... as HawkMan mentioned DivX just isn't that good anymore.

I'm still hyped for DivX playback tho. Got plenty of data DVD's with goodies on them I could watch.

The advantage to me here is with the 360 (I own neither by the way). The 360 supports both DivX and XviD, in addition to ac3 audio or mp3 in the avi file. I didn't hear any information on the PS3 side on the audio support, or xvid support. Has anyone else got information on that?

Edit: corrected aac to ac3

Edited by jasondefaoite

Wouldn't in-game video be uncompressed? Kinda silly imo to encode a video to DivX to save space when they have Blu-Ray discs with all that room on 'em. But yea if videos are compressed then there are much, much better options out there to encode with... as HawkMan mentioned DivX just isn't that good anymore.

I'm still hyped for DivX playback tho. Got plenty of data DVD's with goodies on them I could watch.

Can DivX not do 720p/1080p videos though?

The advantage to me here is with the 360 (I own neither by the way). The 360 supports both DivX and XviD, in addition to aac audio or mp3 in the avi file. I didn't hear any information on the PS3 side on the audio support, or xvid support. Has anyone else got information on that?

the x360 had no confirmation of xvid either until right before it was released..

and im sure it supports sound - what is moving picture without it :laugh:

If it was as easy as that would it not of been done already? Or does anyone else know enough about to games to explain why w/e format they currently use is better suited for them?

Home is going to support divx videos, so it probably needs to be certified to work? :unsure:

Actually I think there have been gams, but still. game prefer BINK video over divx anyway. and for high res video VC1 is a better choice.

I just don't see what the point is for including this in the press release, as was said, why would they use divx on PS3 games anyway, aren't PS3 games supposed to use everythign uncompressed :p

the x360 had no confirmation of xvid either until right before it was released..

and im sure it supports sound - what is moving picture without it :laugh:

And what audio codecs would it be supporting with this moving picture you speak of. Clearly, and very surprisingly, Microsoft added support of exactly what their customers wanted. Whether Sony does the same remains to be seen. Hopefully yes.

By the way, I believe you meant the x360 had no confirmation of xvid until right before it was released. Adding the either at the end implies the PS3 will also support xvid. This is an unknown at the moment. Unless you have more information on this than your original post.

Edited by jasondefaoite

Can DivX not do 720p/1080p videos though?

I'm not sure about any technical info on DivX, but I /recall/ reading that it supported HD stuff in one of the latest releases. I could be completely stupid and wrong about this tho :p

As for the XviD, you can pretty much rest assured it will work (90% of the time) just like it works on 360 and on DivX certified DVD home players.

"Xvid encoded files can be written to a CD or DVD and played in a DivX compatible DVD player. However, Xvid can optionally encode video with advanced features that most DivX Certified set-top players do not support. Files encoded with global motion compensation, Qpel, MPEG quantization, multiple B-frames or files that exceed the VBV limitations may not play back properly on DivX Certified hardware devices."

I took that from wiki :p

Wouldn't in-game video be uncompressed? Kinda silly imo to encode a video to DivX to save space when they have Blu-Ray discs with all that room on 'em.....

No, uncompressed video creates extremely large files, for example a High Def video that runs about 45 mins would take up over 400Gb filesize, now compare that with some RPGs that have hours of FMV cutscenes, the disk isnt big enough for even 1 short cutscene let alone a full game.

The advantage to me here is with the 360 (I own neither by the way). The 360 supports both DivX and XviD, in addition to ac3 audio or mp3 in the avi file. I didn't hear any information on the PS3 side on the audio support, or xvid support. Has anyone else got information on that?

Edit: corrected aac to ac3

PS3 support AC3 in 5.1 channels, MP3 and AAC audio in its mpeg4 files, so I can only presume that the functionality is already built in and will probably work with either divx or xvid, because avi is just a container and divx/xvid is just the codec for the video

I've played games that use the DivX codec for the video. I am nearly certain I've seen it on consoles as well, but I can't think of a name off hand (it's not exactly something that I keep track of), but I know for a fact that Company of Heroes used DivX for it's video, so it has definitely been done before anyway.

I don't particularly see what being "DivX certified" really means, any DivX file I've tried on the 360 works fine and there was never anything preventing developers from using the CODEC in their games before. When you buy a license for something like that, you don't just get the authority to use it, you get API's and documentation that allow you to decode it yourself, in your own game code.

One of the current favourites for developers to use is bink video. Half the reason it's so popular is that it's got some of the best documentation and API's you can get for something like this, plus it's been tried and tested for years and years.