BSOD left-right and center

Ok i'm getting sick of this, i've installed sp1 with sp2 hotfixes, all the latest drivers and i still keep on getting BSODs, even when the disk has been formatted it bsods (windows hasn't even began to install yet)

its ****ing me off :angry:

I have a copy of Peanut Linux 4.3 lying around and i am currently downloading freeBSD 5, and i may take the jump and just run either one of them... help me... please...

BSODs i get: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - (0x0000000A)

and 0x0000008E

Edited by DJ^TuRKiYe

If your box worked before and is throwing BSODs all the time NOW and even while setup, then some critical hardware component of yours went faulty.

Could it be the harddrive?

This computer is 2 and a half years old, but the hdd is ony 1 year and so is the ram

It sounds like you might be using unsigned drivers. That can often cause a lot of BSODs

All the drivers i installed are WHQL

I might aswell add that it is a POS Compaq, never again will i buy a factory built machine or allow anyone i know to get one.

But one thing, why is it when linux installed its runs fine and when xp is installed it BSODs? :unsure:

I used to work with SCO unix and it was amazingly fussy with hardware and memory. If the memory was not matched or made by the same company, it would panic (BSOD) all over! The server manufacturer would then run Windows NT 4.0 and stress the machine without any problems.

Anyway, it's most certainlt hardware related, expecially if you have done a clean install recently. I would suggest taking a careful look at the the installed software as this canbe problematic. Do you have the latest BIOS for this PC? Also, I'd use Compaq's drivers. Is the system overclocked at all??

Good luck.

I would suggest taking a careful look at the the installed software as this canbe problematic.
Software i run all the time is NAV2003 and Personal Firewall 2003 - maybe this is causing it?? I don't remember exactly but when i had the 2002 versions of these appz i don't think my pc ever had a bsod...
Do you have the latest BIOS for this PC?

Yes, i installed the latest bios

Also, I'd use Compaq's drivers.
They havn't updated the drivers in ages...
Is the system overclocked at all??

Nope

Good luck.

Thanks i'll need it..

I think the key thing thats screaming out here is that you gets BSOD's BEFORE Windows is even installed. This is telling me its a hardware problem somewhere, not software/drivers, otherwise you wouldn't get a BSOD before these things are installed.

I wouldn't waste your time troubleshooting software if thats the case..

i've read that, theres nothing wrong with the ram, i ran memtest and it found nothing wrong :huh:

screw the memtest the only real way your gonna find out is swap the ram. Swap your ram bit by bit and see where the problem lies

is it possible its a heat problem? i've noticed that during colder days (today) theres no BSOD's but yesterday when it was over 40 degrees celcius it was bsoding alot... :unsure:

DJ...try this. Remove all your PCI cards (sound card, etc) one by one and reinstall XP. This is a lengthy process but it can help you to determine what peice of hardware is giving probs. :)

or your uhh... winxpcorp.iso was already corrupted... while.... purchasing... online?

For you information this is a legit copy of windows xp pro ;)

Edge: The only pci card i have installed is the modem :unsure:

i'd definatley try installing xp without modem and preferably with a completely different set of ram. borrow a mates or if you have 2 sticks try running wih just one and if it still bsod's try the other stick only....you just need to troubleshoot every piece of removable hardware you have logically like the ram/modem etc

i'd definatley try installing xp without modem and preferably with a completely different set of ram. borrow a mates or if you have 2 sticks try running wih just one and if it still bsod's try the other stick only....you just need to troubleshoot every piece of removable hardware you have logically like the ram/modem etc

Next time i go to reinstall windows i will, i haven't got time atm

If it's running fine in colder temps, I suggest you see how hot your computer is running, make sure the CPU is cool, and then work on the case itself, the chipset and your vid card. Did these problems start showing up when the temperatures started to rise?

chances are the compaq won't let you see the temps. and as spyder said,

I think the key thing thats screaming out here is that you gets BSOD's BEFORE Windows is even installed.
this clearly indicates a hardware error. i've heard of this happening with bad ram and bad chipsets (read: via chipsets). so try taking out all but one stick of your ram or if you only have one, as previously mentioned, use someone else's to try to install.

as far as heat, try leaving your case open, that can help with air flow.

If it's running fine in colder temps, I suggest you see how hot your computer is running, make sure the CPU is cool, and then work on the case itself, the chipset and your vid card. Did these problems start showing up when the temperatures started to rise?

Cant see the temps.... stupid compaq

i've got 2x 256MB sticks in there now, like i said before next time i install windows i'll try removing a stick

Try checking in the BIOS if it has temp monitoring, or just download either motherboard monitor or SpeedFan, maybe it'll pick something up. :)

the BIOS doesn't have temp monitoring and motherboard monitor doesn' work, i doubt SpeedFun will either... :(