Kaka wins Fifa world player crown

AC Milan and Brazil star Kaka has been named Fifa's world player of the year, beating Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to the honour in Zurich.

Kaka's latest award crowns a superb year in which he led AC Milan to Champions League victory this season, scoring 10 goals in the process.

In a poll of all national coaches and captains, Kaka polled 1,047 votes, Messi 504 and Ronaldo 426.

The 25-year-old was named European player of the year earlier this month.

Kaka, a devout Christian, said he had never expected to reach such heights in the sport.

"It's really special for me - it was a dream for me just to play for Sao Paulo and one game for Brazil," he said.

"But the Bible says God can give you more than you even ask for and that is what has happened in my life."

Kaka, who has won 42 caps for Brazil, scored one goal and set up two others at the Club World Cup final in Japan on Sunday to hand AC Milan a record fourth title.

He follows in some illustrious footsteps, with Marco van Basten, Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and George Weah among previous winners of the award.

Meanwhile, the legendary Pele - one of Kaka's predecessors in Brazil's famous yellow shirts - was given the Fifa presidential award.

"My father told me it was a gift from God to play football," said a tearful Pele after picking up the award.

In the women's player of the year award, Brazil's Marta won the award for the second year running, beating Germany's World Cup-winning captain Birgit Prinz and her fellow Brazilian Cristiane.

"I'm very happy to be here once more, and you can be sure I am going to give my best to be here on other occasions," she said.

Barcelona's gesture of displaying the name of children's fund Unicef on their shirts was recognised with the Fair Play Award.

Who would name their child sh*t? :p

lol... I was thinking of other ways to pronounce that name without it reminding me of such. takes the lustre out of the player... :rofl:

Certainly a great player, but personally I think Messi deserved it more.

the award is based on last season's form (iinm), and since messi didnt win anything it was a deserved win for kaka.

lol... I was thinking of other ways to pronounce that name without it reminding me of such. takes the lustre out of the player... :rofl:

A certain South Park episode comes to mind (actually many)

Mature parents in a mature society.
or F'ed up parents in an f'ed up society. Either way I'd be embarrassed.

That's his nickname anyway. His parents did not name him Kaka' just like Ronaldinho wasn't named Ronaldinho Gaucho (his last name is not even close to Gaucho) and the same with Juninho Pernambucano and even Pele.

That's his nickname anyway. His parents did not name him Kaka' just like Ronaldinho wasn't named Ronaldinho Gaucho (his last name is not even close to Gaucho) and the same with Juninho Pernambucano and even Pele.

I prefer Pele than Edson Arantes do Nascimento :p

in order for a player to win the award, most of the time his club or his country have to do great. this year kaka won because of milan, cannavaro won because of italy.

Following that lofic then 8 out of 10 winners in the past years shold be Barcelona players. :p

Following that lofic then 8 out of 10 winners in the past years shold be Barcelona players. :p

you're forgetting that ronaldhino won both in 2004 and 2005, as well as rivaldo and ronaldo a few years earlier, while playing with barcelona, who in the time were doing awesome, both in la liga and both in UCL, though they didn't win UCL till 2006 season.

you're forgetting that ronaldhino won both in 2004 and 2005, as well as rivaldo and ronaldo a few years earlier, while playing with barcelona, who in the time were doing awesome, both in la liga and both in UCL, though they didn't win UCL till 2006 season.

This reply means that my attempt at sarcasm failed miserably? :(

Is he blessed or what? Awesome skills + Extraordinary devotion + Hot wife!

I envy him.

I am sure he worked very hard to get where he is at such an early age. It is easy to say someone is blessed, and maybe he is, but I am sure he had to work his butt off to get to where he is, compared to other people who have things given to them.