Mass Effect on PS3: "It has to" says analyst

Mass Effect on PS3: "It has to" says analyst

Tuesday 18-Dec-2007 8:27 AM In order for EA to recoup some of the $300 million, Mass Effect has to go multi-platform says analyst Michael Pratcher

During the latest edition of Bonus Round, notorious analyst Michael Pachter has said that BioWare games have to go multiplatform if EA is to ever recoup some of the ?300 million spent buying the Canadian outfit.

When asked if Pratcher thought Mass Effect 2 would come to PS3, he replied, "It has to. I wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect 1 came to PS3. If these guys can managed to port the game over I would think they'd do so."

Obviously that doesn't mean it's going to happen but if you cast your minds back (or check your PC's history if you didn't have to erase it as a 'precaution') to our interview with Dr. Greg Zeschuk, co-founder and president of the mighty BioWare, we did ask him about the Mass Effect trilogy being exlcusive to Xbox 360 all the way. Here's the clip:

Head over to CVG to read the rest

One can only hope we see this title on the PS3, it really deserves it - Let's just hope he's right;))

You've already expressed your plans for Mass Effect to be a trilogy. Do you see all three games being released on Xbox 360?

Zeschuk: Certainly out intent is to have all three iterations or instalments of Mass Effect to be on Xbox 360. That's the goal.

Exclusively to 360 all the way?

Zeschuk: Can't really comment on that aspect yet, it's too far into the future. Thinking a year in to the future is a big challenge these days.

While theres no clarification there, I think it's highly unlikey. MS will probably pay the ?300 million to EA to prevent ME going to the PS3:laugh::

I think if BioWare did go multi platform for Mass Effect, you would see gameplay suffer. My hope is they stick with XBOX since its such a great game.

As in content wise or technically?

On the technical side their engine already suffers badly from texture popping and load times. It will probably be the same on the PC if the game comes out - Which I think it will, KOTOR did.

As far as Im aware the ME IP belongs to BioWare, and they can do whatever they want with future version.

But ME1 can't go multiplatform unless MS says so.

As in content wise or technically?

On the technical side their engine already suffers badly from texture popping and load times. It will probably be the same on the PC if the game comes out - Which I think it will, KOTOR did.

Could be either. If they have their team split up doing coding for PS3 and XBOX and maybe the PC, it could mean less time spent on other tasks, such as making the game longer, etc. I also worry that if they start going multi platform, the technical portion will suffer as well - not because the technology and its limitations, but because they are trying to make it easier to cross-platform.

It's a hard choice... Lexcyn makes a good point that dealing with multi-platform issues takes time out of other issues, though the parent companies don't care. What matters to them? Money. And what makes them money faster? Getting the game done quicker. Spending time to make the core game better is not even close to the top of the list of priorities (EA is a perfect example of this), so multi-platform could ultimately hurt the series.

Mass Effect is definitely one game I would hate to see go that route because it's one of my favorite games of all time. Gameplay is something that cannot be compromised in the Mass Effect series.

So, Bioware has only ever developed for the PC and Microsoft related consoles in the past, and even with EA buying them, I still believe that Microsoft has a stake in the game to keep it exclusive. EA will be making plenty of money, I'm sure, out of Bioware in the future.

Even if it did happen, we could probably expect EA to create another crappy 360 to PS3 port-over of the first one. We've seen EA's track record in that regard...

I could care less if it comes to the PS3, just as long as the quality of the 360 version doesn't suffer.

Some of us could care less about the 360 version, as long as the PS3 version doesn't suffer. :laugh: ;)

While theres no clarification there, I think it's highly unlikey. MS will probably pay the ?300 million to EA to prevent ME going to the PS3:laugh::

I don't think MS can, EA can just say no thank you and release it on whatever platform they want. I can say without a doubt that Mass Effect will be ported to PS3, PC, PS2, DS, PSP, Mobile and possibly a few other formats I didn't mention. EA are notorious for doing this and I can see them destroying Mass Effect just to cash in on it:((

Wasnt Mass Effect produced in conjunction with MS Studios? Bit like gears (Epic and MS). If it did go multiplatform i think it would not be as good, given EAs track record with ports, notibly Orange Box, i reckon the PS3 version would not be as good as the 360 version, yeah given blu-ray they can put in uber elite high end textures in so that would probs compensate.

I think one aspect of this that isn't taken into account is the cost of going multiplatform. Developing for Xbox and PC is easy, you can basically do it with the same team, but throw the PS3 in there and you have a totally different type of platform to develop on. Now you have the expense of another team to do the PS3 port and the possibility that the "bad port" will get bad press and not sell as well. having the expense of one team that sells on a massive install base might be the better solution. That's my analysis, you can mail me my check now.

I think one aspect of this that isn't taken into account is the cost of going multiplatform. Developing for Xbox and PC is easy, you can basically do it with the same team, but throw the PS3 in there and you have a totally different type of platform to develop on. Now you have the expense of another team to do the PS3 port and the possibility that the "bad port" will get bad press and not sell as well. having the expense of one team that sells on a massive install base might be the better solution. That's my analysis, you can mail me my check now.

True... to a point. Look at it this way - Multiplatform can be a great option for any developer. If they are able to get off their hind and actually work on each platform, the pay in return would be much more profitable than just two platforms. Common sense obviously, but it's the developers that are too lazy (for lack of better words) to put development time into a different architecture. The "Playstation 3 is too hard to code for" debate is slowly becoming a thing of the past... not a legitimate excuse developers can use in my eyes. Mark Rein took the challenge and succeeded... why can't others? In fact, we are seeing other developers posting finely tuned games on the shelves now for us. It's definitely better than it was.

Surely EA has enough resources to churn out a great game for the Playstation 3... but maybe it's a certain weasel behind the desks there that is making sure it doesn't happen? Wouldn't surprise me.

True... to a point. Look at it this way - Multiplatform can be a great option for any developer. If they are able to get off their hind and actually work on each platform, the pay in return would be much more profitable than just two platforms. Common sense obviously, but it's the developers that are too lazy (for lack of better words) to put development time into a different architecture. The "Playstation 3 is too hard to code for" debate is slowly becoming a thing of the past... not a legitimate excuse developers can use in my eyes. Mark Rein took the challenge and succeeded... why can't others? In fact, we are seeing other developers posting finely tuned games on the shelves now for us. It's definitely better than it was.

Surely EA has enough resources to churn out a great game for the Playstation 3... but maybe it's a certain weasel behind the desks there that is making sure it doesn't happen? Wouldn't surprise me.

I don't think they're becoming a thing of the past yet. We're still seeing crappy ports (Orange Box) and the number of multi-platform developers that have spoken against the PS3 is still much higher than the for camp. As for Mark Rein, most of the games on the Unreal 3 engine are the ones that are being delayed or scrapped for the PS3. I think the only reason you're seeing it on the PS3 first is because of money changing hands, not because it's easier to make on the PS3.

As for the finely tuned games, compare scores and you'll see that you've had to lower your expectations for what a good game on the PS3 really is. The only ones that have been able to take full advantage are the ones working only on the PS3.

Err, isn't Mass Effect a Microsoft Games Studio game? Who owns the rights?

I'm pretty sure when they said it's "too far out" to say whether they'd all be on the 360, he meant that it's reasonably possible the third one could be on the next Xbox. At least, that's how I read it.

Err, isn't Mass Effect a Microsoft Games Studio game? Who owns the rights?

I'm pretty sure when they said it's "too far out" to say whether they'd all be on the 360, he meant that it's reasonably possible the third one could be on the next Xbox. At least, that's how I read it.

Microsoft doesn't, BioWare (and now EA) own the rights to the Mass Effect IP. Microsoft only owns the publishing rights to Mass Effect 1, after that it could go anywhere.

A $300 million deficit? Ouch. I wonder if sales on the PS3 would recoup that money. In any case, I'd like to see Mass Effect on the PC first.