Install Vista Retail with Vista OEM key

I have a VAIO laptop and while playing with Ubuntu and formating the partitions, I accidently deleted the Vista recovery partition. My laptop came with Vista Home Premium and my friend has a copy of the retail version of Home Premium. Will I be able to format my harddrive with his retail cd using the OEM key printed on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop?

AFAIK all Vista media is the same, the Product Key chooses what version to install - OEM, Retail etc. If this does work however, with OEM keys you will need to call Microsoft to activate (internet activation is disabled).

Remember to download your Vista drivers from VAIO Support.

Radish?

yes you can use retail CD/DVD to install vista home premium using ur OEM key. if u use the (sticker)key under the laptop, u will have to phone in to activate. if u use the key from the manufacture u won't have to call in. i've done it many times..there have been a gazillion topic about this..search before u post next time.

Install Vista with no product key (make sure you choose the correct edition on install), then do a manual activation. It will ask you to type in the product key. If you're lucky it will activate online, if not, you will need to phone Microsoft for activation (freefone in UK), this is an automatic process if lucky, or if not you will speak to someone, just tell them you have had to do a Windows re-install and they should give you a confirmation code to enter, this will activate Windows with no issues.