xbox vga blurry?

I recently connected my xbox up via vga instead of component (to be able to watch HDDVD in 1080p instead of 1080i, and upscale dvds) but the colours are all washed out (even after changing reference levels) and the picture is blurry as hell.

Is there anything that can be done about this or is it just a case of going back to component?

thanks

Download the latest dashboard update. I believe this issue was fixed in the Spring update.

Just as I thought. Click here and here to read more about the issue.

Download the latest dashboard update. I believe this issue was fixed in the Spring update.

Just as I thought. Click here and here to read more about the issue.

Are you talking about the reference levels where you can change it from normal to intermediate or expanded?

randomnut: Try changing the reference levels and see if that helps.

I have my 360 connected to my TV with VGA as well, and changing the reference level to Expanded when the spring update was released improved the picture quite a bit.

Hmmm thanks but I have the latest update and my tvs native resolution is 16:9 . Think i'll just stick with component

I think it's the way your TV handles a VGA connection. Originally, it was meant to use your TV as a PC monitor which is why most newer TV sets out there dub the VGA connection "PC input".

Are you talking about the reference levels where you can change it from normal to intermediate or expanded?

randomnut: Try changing the reference levels and see if that helps.

Yes.

I have my 360 connected to my TV with VGA as well, and changing the reference level to Expanded when the spring update was released improved the picture quite a bit.

I'm glad it improved your picture quality. :)

It's a shame really, considering that you can't watch HDDVD at 1080p (only 1080i, WTF?) and can't upscale dvds over component. On my TV at least VGA looks like arse (reference levels didn't change anything, on expanded was the same as standard, still blurry and washed out), and add to that the fact it can't do stuff like read from ntfs drives the 360 is actually quite a crippled machine.

From what I know, Component has better color accuracy and VGA has better sharpness.

For me, switching from VGA to Component took a lot of adjusting because the colors were too much and the picture just appeared blurry.