Wrath of Parallels, Fusion & VM

Recently, I decided to try out Parallels on my MBP/leopard. It worked okay, but it was pretty slow at times, and I had trouble shutting down XP in it (read crash). Before long, the comp had enough and I got a corrupt hall.dll, which buggered Boot Camp. I was forced to reformat and reinstall Windows again. Having Windows in Mac is extremely useful, so I'm temped to switch to Fusion or any other VM app, but I don't want my Boot Camp buggered up again.

Has anyone had any problems running VM? Got any suggestions?

Edited by dragontail

Powerless, it depens what dragontail wants. Bootcamp is not avised on multiple forums but VMWare Fusion is mostly recomended. I, myself, use VMWare and I have no complaints. Recently installed a virtual Vista drive and everything goes fine. I only use it for Office 2007 and Visual Studio.

I personally find VMWare to be 10,000 times faster than Parallels and it runs with a Bootcamp install no problem, but I prefer it with a VHD because of the volume shrinking option

The recent comparison of speed between Parallels and Fusion are just rubbish, I have both and by far Fusion is miles ahead speed, feature & stability wise. According to those benchmarks, Parallels runs faster than Boot Camp sometimes! Heres a less crazy article

And with the speed improvements from VMWare Fusion 1.1, you know there's no contest.

It's a good sign that Fusion is nice and stable. Has anyone had any issues with it yet? Even minor stuff that **** you off occasionally, it doesn't have to break the system.

The only thing that annoys me about VMware is the huge bar on top of the VM window. unless you are running fullscreen that thing takes away a lot of your vertical space (specially annoying in a macbook with the dock in the bottom). Parallels at least has all those control options on a side.

The only thing that annoys me about VMware is the huge bar on top of the VM window. unless you are running fullscreen that thing takes away a lot of your vertical space (specially annoying in a macbook with the dock in the bottom). Parallels at least has all those control options on a side.

VMware Fusion's toolbar isn't any different from any other Mac OS X application that uses the default look. Plus you can hide it with a single click like Vegetunks suggested.

• 3 weeks later...