[MMA] EliteXC Involved in Shamrock vs. Shamrock Fight

A bout between MMA legends and half-brothers Ken Shamrock (26-12-2) and Frank Shamrock (22-8-1) is in the works, and EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw says his organization is working to book the fight.

The news comes from Sam Caplan, who interviewed Shaw for his blog at ProElite.com.

During this past weekend?s HDNet Fights event in Dallas, Texas, Ken was in attendance and fed the rumor mill that a potential bout with his younger brother Frank was being organized.

Not only did Shaw say that the news is legit, but he said EliteXC ?absolutely? has a hand in the fight.

?I?ve been looking at that fight since I met Frank Shamrock, and I?m continuing to look at it and trying to get it done,? Shaw told ProElite.com.

Ken, a longtime UFC fighter, is 0-4 over the past four-and-a-half years. However, the 43-year-old UFC hall-of-famer was a true trailblazer of the sport and was arguably the biggest name in MMA in the 1990s. In a brutally honest interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that run in October, he claimed the UFC forced him into retirement and that he never intended to quit fighting. He hasn?t competed professionally since an October 2006 loss to Tito Ortiz.

Frank, 35, is the current Strikeforce middleweight champion and has won 11 of his past 12 fights. He?s a 13-year MMA veteran, and a former King of Pancrase and UFC middleweight champion. He most recently defeated Phil Baroni at a June Strikeforce/EliteXC show to pick up the Strikeforce middleweight title.

Despite the marketability of the fight, it?s hard to ignore how a ?brother vs. brother? bout may be received by the general public. Shaw, though, doesn?t seem too concerned.

?I don?t think it?s a negative image,? Shaw told Caplan. ?I think that what?s great about mixed martial arts is the different disciplines. So to me, this is a fight that I think both Shamrocks would like, and I think it?s a fight that would serve the public. You?re not asking a man to go in against his mother. This is two brothers, both professionals. It?s not an amateur against a professional. To me, blood brothers ? nothing better.?

Additionally, the two brothers would have to agree on a weight class or possible catch weight. Ken lasted competed at 205 lbs., and Frank has been fighting at 185 lbs.

For the full interview with Shaw, which includes additional information on Kimbo Slice and a Jan. 25 ShowXC event, head over to SamCaplan.proelite.com.

Horrible match up. I'm biased though against two names that I don't care one bit for. Sounds like the circus is back in town with Shaw. I thought he learned from Mike Tyson.

Horrible match up. I'm biased though against two names that I don't care one bit for. Sounds like the circus is back in town with Shaw. I thought he learned from Mike Tyson.

Yeah Ken is well past it imo.

Have you seen much of Kimbo Slice he is a bit crazy was found on the streets I hear :|

Yeah Ken is well past it imo.

Have you seen much of Kimbo Slice he is a bit crazy was found on the streets I hear :|

Yeah, I watched a bunch of his backyard fights on youtube. He is a slugger that gets winded. They should match him up with that wrestler that went to the UFC. Would be a fun fight.

I think Shamrock will win! :laugh:

Seriously though, what is Ken thinking? Coming off 4 losses and at his age, yes, he was a good fighter in the 90s, however, he is past it now. Additionally I really wouldn't wanna see a brother kicking the crap out of his brother. No, just no...