Floyd Mayweather Considering a Move to MMA?

According to a report on ESPN.com, ?Pretty Boy? Floyd Mayweather Jr. ? universally regarded as the best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet ? may be considering lacing up the 5-oz gloves and stepping in to the world of MMA with Mark Cuban?s HDNet Fights.

The article quotes Cuban, say?Floyd is considering fighting with HDNet Fights,? Cuban told ESPN.com. ?We are going to let him visit some gyms to talk to some folks about what it would take to learn. He knows it won?t be easy. But he is getting involved with MMA and HDNet Fights one way or another. He is pumped about it. He wants to go on to the next big thing. Floyd is a brilliant marketer. He follows the money.?

?If I said there?s a guaranteed $30 million payday, Floyd would be lacing them up,? Cuban said, optimistic that Mayweather would eventually participate in an MMA match. ?If not, I could see him working to train and develop and invest in MMA fighters, knowing the upside. He can teach them how to be a better boxer and add to their other skills.? to their other skills.?

Mayweather is currently taking ?a vacation? after his most recent fight, a dramatic and dominating dismantling of previously-undefeated Ricky Hatton on December 8, 2007 via a 10th round TKO. However, it appears Mayweather will be looking seriously at mixed martial arts upon his return from the break. The article quotes Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather?s adviser ?(MMA is) definitely something (Mayweather) is interested in, and when Floyd makes his move, obviously it?s going to be a mega event,? Ellerbe said. ?We don?t have a timetable. Floyd is taking some time off, but Floyd understands what is involved. You have to take time to go out and understand what you?re getting involved in, and he?s ready to do that. But it?s something he?s definitely interested in doing?s something he?s definitely interested in doing.

This isn?t Mayweather?s first MMA-related headline. Back in early May ? during the buildup for his highly-anticipated fight with Oscar De La Hoya ? Mayweather made disparaging remarks regarding mixed martial arts, stating that any boxing champion could easily transition into MMA and become a champion. In response, Dana White called out Mayweather, offering him an immediate fight against then-champion Sean Sherk. Mayweather later apologized for the remarks (see: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Victorious, Apologetic).

According to the ESPN.com story, Cuban first approached Mayweather regarding participating in an MMA event after the two ?struck up a friendship? during their participation this season as contestants on the ABC reality series Dancing with the Stars.?

Mayweather holds a 39-0 professional boxing record and has won six world boxing championships in five different weight classes. Since July 2005, he has been rated the #1 boxer pound-for-pound by Ring Magazine. Mayweather currently boxes at welterweight (147 pounds) but his fight against De La Hoya was for the junior middleweight title at 154 pounds.

A move to MMA would certainly require a significant amount of training for the veteran boxer to round out his fighting skills and be competitive with a true rounded mixed martial artist. However it is unarguable that Mayweather would bring a significant ratings draw to the table regardless of his experience level.

Sounds good, but I doubt we'll be seeing him in the MMA scene for a while (years). Mayweather might just be looking into MMA because of the prospective money it will make in the upcoming years. The main question is how his style of fighting will transition into the cage/ring of mixed martial arts. He's a slick fighter with quick hands, definitely a stand up fighter, but what's going to happen on the ground? The only thing about a boxing to MMA is that they are seen as one dimensional in a lot of athletes minds. Same thing can be said about mainly BJJ or kickboxers, ie Cung Le.

Another thing is that they may be just be trying to see how much hype he can pull from audiences and PPV events. I'd be looking for him in the UFC crowds or the HDNet productions. PRIDE tried this with Mike Tyson, which in my mind, would be better to watch in the MMA ring than Mayweather - but it was never finalized and/or started. Also, if he loses his first couple matches - how much of a PPV draw will he be making then? All questions a company and athlete has to ask themselves.

I'm rambling, if its true - great but I don't expect him to do much in for the MMA community other than make himself a lot of money.

I'd like to actually hear it from Mayweather's mouth. Mark Cuban is a turd. Not that his being a turd makes him a liar.

Mayweather has hand problems, I don't see how using smaller gloves will be a benefit to him. Doubt he fights MMA, highly doubt it. Invest in it? Sure.

I'd like to actually hear it from Mayweather's mouth. Mark Cuban is a turd. Not that his being a turd makes him a liar.

Mayweather has hand problems, I don't see how using smaller gloves will be a benefit to him. Doubt he fights MMA, highly doubt it. Invest in it? Sure.

Yeah I mean he has his promotion company already!

Yeah I mean he has his promotion company already!

Yeah... He just seems way too juvenile and mouthy to get peeps to promote. He may get a few but he is not in the same league as Arum, GB, and King. To me its as ridiculous as Vargas Entertainment or whatever Fernando has named it.