W2K Server imaging program

Anyone know of a program that will allow you to image a computer with W2K Server Edition installed? What I have available (Drive Image 5.0 & Ghost 7.5 CE) will not install on the server version. Oh, it must have a scheduling feature.

One a similiar note, does anyone know of a program that will allow you to partition the HDD's of a W2K Server? My version of Partition Magic won't fly.

Thanks

Anyone know of a program that will allow you to image a computer with W2K Server Edition installed? What I have available (Drive Image 5.0 & Ghost 7.5 CE) will not install on the server version. Oh, it must have a scheduling feature.

One a similiar note, does anyone know of a program that will allow you to partition the HDD's of a W2K Server? My version of Partition Magic won't fly.

Thanks

Can't you just use a Ghost boot disk to image the server? Installing Ghost on the server won't make a difference, it can't run while you image.

By partition, I take it you mean REpartition. Take a backup of all partitions, reformat and partition, then restore your data to the new partitions.

Even MS don't have programs to image a Server, there RIS server is for the workstation only.

Why would you want to image a Server, you can't add it to a GPO and have it install remotely.

Have you looked at Server Magic?

Check out Altiris's software suit.

We used it to deploy 3500 xp workstations remotely, all on different hardware, from 2 images.

Should work fine on a server.

Unbelievably woops the ass of things like ghost, you just can't compaire the two.

Even MS don't have programs to image a Server, there RIS server is for the workstation only.

Why would you want to image a Server, you can't add it to a GPO and have it install remotely.

You can in Server 2003!! :D Many changes.

Woah!

@silly_walk: Yes, you can just use a bootdisk to image a server. Thing is that I'd need a partition to dump the image files to. I don't want to create an image with another image file taking up space on the drive. Another problem is that I need this to image without me driving to the location of the server, which is clear across town. I'd prefer to just RAdmin in or have the image scheduled.

Yup, I mean repartition. Dell really wasn't thinking on this one. 4-18gig HDD's. Drive C is only 4 gig! The rest is Drive D. Right now C is almost full. What idiots!

@jtg: ServerMagic? Never heard of it. Is it done by PowerQuest?

@Jon: I'll look into it.

@Chicane-uk: See reply to silly_walk.

Thanks all. Any other suggestions out there? I'm going to need to look into a lot of them before being allowed to purchase what I need.

@jtg: ServerMagic? Never heard of it. Is it done by PowerQuest?

Yes, made by PowerQuest however it looks like they have separated server magic into 2 parts. It used to do both Netware and NT but they now have volume manager for NT and server magic for Novell. I've used v3.0 which I believe had support for both. It saved my life many times on the Novell side. Give it a look.

Someone obviously doesnt know his stuff.

Altiris would work via the mac address of the machine, run a network boot (or via floppy), connect to a share on the image storage server, run the image installation program from that share, et voila, the image is transfered, booted, syspred'd, renumeration of pnp devices if neccessary, etc.

So if it was an image specific to that server, yes you could install it remotely.

Remember, a server is no different to a workstation in essence, unless you run specific services.

Obviously imaging a Domain Controller would be another ballgame, it'd end up replicating out of date versions of active directory, which would cause problems.

Yup, I mean repartition. Dell really wasn't thinking on this one. 4-18gig HDD's. Drive C is only 4 gig! The rest is Drive D. Right now C is almost full. What idiots!

What could you possibly have on there that is filling 4 gigs?!? You should only have the minimum installed on your server OS, anything else, like RIS images and so on should be on your D:. I have a 4 gig C: drive at work, maybe half used.

What could you possibly have on there that is filling 4 gigs?!? You should only have the minimum installed on your server OS, anything else, like RIS images and so on should be on your D:. I have a 4 gig C: drive at work, maybe half used.

Well, that's a good question. I just set this up about 2 weeks ago. Since that time a 3rd party company came in a setup a program that we are to use as a union database. They installed their stuff to the D drive, but apparently some stuff got on C. All that I've installed I put on D.

@ Jon: I saw the Volume Manager bit, but it does so much more than I'll ever need it to do. Oh well, it's not my money anyways.